Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

R8 4.2 anyone else had one?

ChrisT70 said:
You can buy a mint v10 R8 for good 993 money. I've a Zingari left over to fund a Z4M coupe if one comes up at the right money as an investment.
Or I might buy another kit to build. Who knows.

I quite fancy a late Z3M, Imprefer the shape to Z4. I have a soft spot for the S54B32.
I would also like an R8. So many cars, so little time....

MC

MisterCorn said:
ChrisT70 said:
You can buy a mint v10 R8 for good 993 money. I've a Zingari left over to fund a Z4M coupe if one comes up at the right money as an investment.
Or I might buy another kit to build. Who knows.

I quite fancy a late Z3M, Imprefer the shape to Z4. I have a soft spot for the S54B32.
I would also like an R8. So many cars, so little time....

MC

Rod bearings appear to be the main concern across the engine. Many tales of replacing them just in time and treating them as a service item at circa 50k.
Otherwise it's the next big thing if you want rwd, power, lsd, decent looks, decent build quality.
Z3m roadster jobby already expensive.

Saying all that I've no rush in me as spring is coming and I have the R8 to play with. It's filled quite nicely the void left with the 993 sale.

Very interesting thread ... I've been looking at these more and more of late; love the design, but just wondering if I can live with the drop in torque after having 911 turbos for the past 5 years .... :dont know:

Yours looks fantastic by the way :thumb:

We've still not addressed whether it has the engine bay lighting :dont know: I'd have to have that fitted if I got one in my price range :roll:

I don't blame anyone for trying one but don't know anyone who kept one. They scratch an itch and thats about it. We had two of the first in the country when they first came out, flipped one in a week for a healthy markup and the other after a month above list but never had the desire to own personally.

Try scratching a 981 itch, I've been blown away by them. Cayman would be more fun to own / drive than an R8 hardtop and look just as good IMHO. I've had more positive attention than the R8 which is surprising.

I'll probably keep it a year or so. Lots of cars I'd like to try. It's certainly better than all the naysayers said, but I think the sports exhaust makes a difference as it had the noise to match the looks. Standard cars are a bit too civilised. It's got Leds but not a major factor lol.
I was tempted by a 600bhp GTR but I'm happy I made the right choice, for now at least.
Cayman GT4 certainly would tempt me next or perhaps one of the latest Lotus, not sure but nice to look forward to once bored. Certainly not missed the 993 yet, good as it was. I drove Imran's 997 turbo again recently and enjoyed that too.

DeathStar said:
Very interesting thread ... I've been looking at these more and more of late; love the design, but just wondering if I can live with the drop in torque after having 911 turbos for the past 5 years .... :dont know:

Your welcome to have a go in mine if you'd like to try one, drop me a pm if you like.

I'm trying to buy one as we speak, seems an obvious car to try after the Turbo but as I've said and Chris knows from buying you need to have a great spec or they are just a bit plastic in standard trim.

GT4 or V12V would be next if I want to spend a lot more. I'd probably stay away from another forced induction car as no noise kills the ownership experience for me.

If I can get the R8 I might keep both for a while. Selling the Turbo now smacks of when I sold my 993 2s end of 2014 for £47k.

I would add tho that for real world driving on the Derbyshire roads I thrash round the R8 is better than the 993 was as a package and I don't think a 911 turbo would be any faster having driven both on the same roads. No lag, instant torque and stand up brakes. You don't drive with the back end sliding out there :)

ChrisT70 said:
DeathStar said:

Your welcome to have a go in mine if you'd like to try one, drop me a pm if you like.

That's an incredibly kind offer Chris - thank you very much, I may well take you up on it (but will PM you to keep this thread clear)

Cheers! :thumb:

jonttt said:
I don't blame anyone for trying one but don't know anyone who kept one. They scratch an itch and thats about it. We had two of the first in the country when they first came out, flipped one in a week for a healthy markup and the other after a month above list but never had the desire to own personally.

Try scratching a 981 itch, I've been blown away by them. Cayman would be more fun to own / drive than an R8 hardtop and look just as good IMHO. I've had more positive attention than the R8 which is surprising.

Another good call; the 981's certainly look fantastic ... again I wonder about living with the power drop though ... but then again I do fancy a change from a forced-induction motor :?

If I could stretch to a V10 R8 then my mind would be made up (never had a V10, but drove the R8 V10 Spyder at an Audi promo day at Millbrook proving ground a few years back and it was great; the noise was sublime!)

:thumbs:

DeathStar said:
jonttt said:

Another good call; the 981's certainly look fantastic ... again I wonder about living with the power drop though ... but then again I do fancy a change from a forced-induction motor :?

If I could stretch to a V10 R8 then my mind would be made up (never had a V10, but drove the R8 V10 Spyder at an Audi promo day at Millbrook proving ground a few years back and it was great; the noise was sublime!)

:thumbs:

Yes depending on your budget a v10 would be nice, 500bhp or 600bhp depending on price etc. i'd certainly consider one. Drop me a pm anytime anyway. The car will be at the Silverstone Classic this summer with a few other R8 owners too.

ChrisT70 said:
I would add tho that for real world driving on the Derbyshire roads I thrash round the R8 is better than the 993 was as a package and I don't think a 911 turbo would be any faster having driven both on the same roads. No lag, instant torque and stand up brakes. You don't drive with the back end sliding out there :)

depends on what your definition of "better" is. In most subjective ways of course it is, but in other ways not. I driven much faster / better handling cars on country roads and not had as much fun as the 993, size is a big part of that. Every car is different and I've tried / driven most so I encourage anyone to own / drive as many cars as you can :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back