Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Feeling utterly dejected

Ian, I feel you pain I really do! I felt exactly the same when mine was diagnosed just over a year ago, absolutely gutted, and I am sure you are going through all the same emotions.

Do you have pics from the borescope examination? Maybe worth comparing with mine. I had scoring on Cylinder 4 only when diagnosed, no symptoms at all at the time, it took about 6 months for them to emerge, initially a more sooty left tip followed by the ticking noise which go progressively worse over the next few months. When the engine was taken apart, cylinder 4 was heavily scored with cylinder 6 showing light scoring,

As others have said, it could well be years before the engine needs to be addressed. For me, it was always at the back of my mind, so I can understand why others say not to check the bores and wait for it to happen if it ever does. In saying that, I had plenty time to consider the options and sort out finances to pay for the rebuild.

Thanks lads, much appreciated.

Phil, the induction sounds superb and even feels a bit more pokey tbh 8)

Rob, yes you've hit the nail on the head re emotions.

I've just got home after being out in it for a few hours trying to somehow find a fault but it's driving like an absolute weapon :)

Feeling slightly better about it and hopefully even better when I've slept on it.

I've made provisions for it anyway and went into ownership with my eyes open. After all, if you want a Porsche, you can't run it on hot hatch money :nooo:

I'm a bit OCD with the maintenance and not so much with the cleaning side of things like others. I like to drive it like it was built for :grin:

If this is any consulation, i bought my 997.1 couple years ago, the engine sounded sweet so made a deal and got it home, after like a month it sounded like a clock ticking, i was sp effing pi55ed off i called up a mate to arrange a disapearance of said car :grin: but i sat down and thought about it hard and as its in showroom condtion and low mileage and owners, i decided to bite the bullet and worked like a donkey like 8 days weeks and got a solid full rebuild, all liners new pistons, list goes on etc and car is currently still in the running in process as its a weekend car... so if i can and many others can get a rebuild so can you, drive and enjoy and when you have saved your hard earned then get that rebuild done !! :D

Hope this helps, i also felt 5h1tty for a long while but once you have decided what the plan is gonna be for the car as regards for a rebuiod you will feel better cos your focusing in the right direction and no more sleepless nights...

J

Alfaian said:
RedJedi said:
Could you go to OPC and see how much it would cost to get yourself into a Gen 2 (trading this one in?).... Compared to a rebuild?

Thanks for all the comments guys, most welcome and reassuring.

The above post is what I've been thinking but I will see how things go.

Love the car and I've spent a small fortune on it keeping it well maintained.

I made the move (but no bore scoring issues) - and must say that it is a "leap" from Gen 1 - and you can sleep easy every night!

askgeez said:
Only yesterday Baz from Hartech said they were likely to be taking orders for the 3.9 towards the end of the year :grin:

Shame they cannot go straight to 4.1 for the 3.8 - it would ease the pain of a rebuild much more - 3.9 is going to be a very small difference.

RedJedi said:
Alfaian said:
RedJedi said:
Could you go to OPC and see how much it would cost to get yourself into a Gen 2 (trading this one in?).... Compared to a rebuild?

Thanks for all the comments guys, most welcome and reassuring.

The above post is what I've been thinking but I will see how things go.

Love the car and I've spent a small fortune on it keeping it well maintained.

I made the move (but no bore scoring issues) - and must say that it is a "leap" from Gen 1 - and you can sleep easy every night!

Sorry to hear about your bad fortune Alfaian. Over the next few days once you have evaluated all of your options it won't feel so bad.

Incidentally, what is the cost to change from a Gen 1 to a similarly spec'd Gen 2 these days?

-- 997 -- said:
If this is any consulation, i bought my 997.1 couple years ago, the engine sounded sweet so made a deal and got it home, after like a month it sounded like a clock ticking, i was sp effing pi55ed off i called up a mate to arrange a disapearance of said car :grin: but i sat down and thought about it hard and as its in showroom condtion and low mileage and owners, i decided to bite the bullet and worked like a donkey like 8 days weeks and got a solid full rebuild, all liners new pistons, list goes on etc and car is currently still in the running in process as its a weekend car... so if i can and many others can get a rebuild so can you, drive and enjoy and when you have saved your hard earned then get that rebuild done !! :D

Hope this helps, i also felt 5h1tty for a long while but once you have decided what the plan is gonna be for the car as regards for a rebuiod you will feel better cos your focusing in the right direction and no more sleepless nights...

J

:agree:

Alfaian - I also feel your pain, I'm currently mid engine rebuild (its taken ages as I'm having lots done). I will start a build thread shortly as mine is now a 3.9 with Hartech liners and Wossner pistons. My rebuild was due to IMS bearing failure but I already knew I had scored bores. Soon after I bought my car I found light scoring in cylinders 5 and 6. Two years and 20k miles later my scoring had hardly changed, no increased oil usage and no ticking noises, (I have a LTT and use Nano 10w50 which I change every 5k miles). When my engine was stripped due to the IMS failure the cylinder walls still felt smooth to the touch. Whilst scoring was visible on a borescope it was actual very minimal and would have been unlikely to have actually caused any issues at least another 20k miles if not much much longer. Try not to feel too bad about your car and just enjoy using it. (I still did trackdays and used mine as a daily driver after finding the scoring). If you have no other symptoms, (no high oil usage, ticking noise etc), then you are likely to be years away from actually needing a rebuild, (if ever!!) :thumb:

krispe said:
Alfaian - I also feel your pain, I'm currently mid engine rebuild (its taken ages as I'm having lots done). I will start a build thread shortly as mine is now a 3.9 with Hartech liners and Wossner pistons. My rebuild was due to IMS bearing failure but I already knew I had scored bores. Soon after I bought my car I found light scoring in cylinders 5 and 6. Two years and 20k miles later my scoring had hardly changed, no increased oil usage and no ticking noises, (I have a LTT and use Nano 10w50 which I change every 5k miles). When my engine was stripped due to the IMS failure the cylinder walls still felt smooth to the touch. Whilst scoring was visible on a borescope it was actual very minimal and would have been unlikely to have actually caused any issues at least another 20k miles if not much much longer. Try not to feel too bad about your car and just enjoy using it. (I still did trackdays and used mine as a daily driver after finding the scoring). If you have no other symptoms, (no high oil usage, ticking noise etc), then you are likely to be years away from actually needing a rebuild, (if ever!!) :thumb:

thats great advice in my view - and that is what i would do chances are if you are looking for problems in an old car you will find them....

Thanks krispe, that's how I'm thinking now. If it needs a build at some point I'll get it sorted.

Feeling better about it today and thanks everyone for your input :thumb:

-- 997 -- said:

J

good call :thumb: :grin:

feeling uttrely dejected

I know its a bit off the subject but my cab blew up 2 months ago .so mbna £4000 over 41 months 0 %interest makes life easier

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back