Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any help with electric seat problem would be appreciated

Fatboy74

I picked up some hardbacks to replace my comforts and have just had them refurbed which I'm really pleased with.

BUT since they have been fitted I have noticed the up and down adjustment isn't working properly on the drivers seat.

It's the furthest forward switch which adjusts the up and down movement of the front of the seat. The left hand side of the seat goes up and down fine but the right hand side has no movement which results in the seat twisting. This leaves the seat base sitting high on the right hand side. Being quite tall I need the seat at the lowest point it will go to avoid rubbing a bald patch on the top of my head from the roof lining!

Has anyone had a similar problem??

First thought would be the motor on that side is toast or could it be seized?
Also wondered if the connector isn't in properly could that affect just that side?

The only solution I have so far is to have a few inches shaved off my right butt cheek to compensate for the issue :dont know:

I successfully solved a similar issue by cleaning all the contacts in the switches by dowsing them in contact cleaner - had the seat out at the time......

Did it work pre-retrim?

The switch is likely ok if it is operating one of the two motors. More likely the wiring to that motor or that one motor is goosed. You could be lucky and it's just stuck. You'd need seat out to investigate it properly.

There's a few on eBay but not sure what the cost new is so worth checking that first.

If it's lower on the RHS it will be easier to get in/out and save excessive wear to the side bolster as your just get 'poured out' when opening the door :dont know:

Sounds like a contact on the motor. That said shouldn't there be only one motor for the fore up/down (and one for the aft up/down) otherwise how do you address calibration if an electrical feed is fed to two separate motors :dont know:

dommorton said:
Did it work pre-retrim?

Not sure Dom I hadn't tried them before the refurb, the seller didn't mention that there was an issue.

Thanks for the input everyone :thumbs: , sounds like the seat will be coming out again and for a thorough check of the wiring and contacts :frustrated:

Still on the bright side they look the dogs ******** :D

Zingari said:
If it's lower on the RHS it will be easier to get in/out and save excessive wear to the side bolster as your just get 'poured out' when opening the door :dont know:

Sounds like a contact on the motor. That said shouldn't there be only one motor for the fore up/down (and one for the aft up/down) otherwise how do you address calibration if an electrical feed is fed to two separate motors :dont know:

Typically it makes the right hand side higher so trying to get out is like dragging my arse over mount everest everytime :nooo:

That's interesting is there only one motor for the fore up/down??? anyone know?

Fatboy74 said:
Still on the bright side they look the dogs ******** :D

Attachments

• img_7479_169.jpg
    img_7479_169.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,145
I once plugged the connector in one set of pins off by accident when putting a seat back in and it worked one way but not the other. Took an hour of swearing at the seat to figure out what I had done wrong!

Somebody told me those hardbacks are over-rated :dont know:

Re the single motor. I'm thinking that one motor might control some sort of cog system to a driveshaft to raise both sides simultaneously at the same time, otherwise it sounds over-engineered to have a motor each side. Could a shaft have come loose on one side :?:

So you're expecting it not to be over engineered? :?:

There is a piece of plastic trim at the front covering the seat motors held in by two screws. Remove that and take a look at what is happening when you press the seat buttons to adjust the height. You should be able to see the drive shafts turning. It's possible the thread has stripped on one side. Motors are generally pretty reliable.

Usually no movement on both sides are down to crud on the contacts inside the switch.

Would be great to see some pictures, Who did the retrim?

I had a dig about on Rennlist and they seem to all suffer failure of full electric seats which have fore and aft adjustment, rather than lift.

This pic helps to show the parts in play in your problem though.

cableshaft.JPG

These lifters are the ones to get a look at on each corner. Seems left and right do share a motor and that has a drive cable out to left and right (similar design to spoiler mech). Possible the cable has popped out, but seems more likely the lifter is seized and or the cable broken.

Thankfully these old cars were well made and all of it can be pulled apart and fixed without upsetting your new retrim.

I imagine you will need to synchronise them left and right before final connection of the drive cable, else the base will always be on the p**s :what:

Attachments

• seat_lifter_891.jpg
    seat_lifter_891.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 3,969
dommorton said:
I had a dig about on Rennlist and they seem to all suffer failure of full electric seats which have fore and aft adjustment, rather than lift.

This pic helps to show the parts in play in your problem though.

cableshaft.JPG

These lifters are the ones to get a look at on each corner. Seems left and right do share a motor and that has a drive cable out to left and right (similar design to spoiler mech). Possible the cable has popped out, but seems more likely the lifter is seized and or the cable broken.

Thankfully these old cars were well made and all of it can be pulled apart and fixed without upsetting your new retrim.

I imagine you will need to synchronise them left and right before final connection of the drive cable, else the base will always be on the p**s :what:

Cheers Dom your a star :thumb: , spent most of the weekend working so to see the info you dug up is great and much appreciated :worship:
Will get stuck in and hopefully it's just the cable popped out but either way I now know where to start looking.

Will get some pics up of the refurb when I get a chance as I think the guy done a great job so may help someone else if they want to go down that route.

Were manual seats an option?

It's one I'd go for but I seem to remember reading it was a space issue.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back