Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

paddles on steering wheel 997

Hi,
I have done this mod adding AMG paddles to a MF wheel it is a little more complex than a non-MF wheel and requires the fitting of 2 different value resistors in the switching circuit.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer elsewhere I will put together some drawings/circuit diagrams.

Its not difficult just requires some limited soldering skills I have actually done 2 as I bought a wheel off ebay to practise on (The cheapest available) and it turned out to be an MF wheel so I added the MF wheel at the same time.
Pop me a pm if you need any help

Hi Wingco, maybe you have a "already" wired set with resistors ready to sell??

I do but its in bits I'm my workshop and its ocean blue and not in perfect condiditon.

My intention was to reassemble it and have it recovered at Royal wheels who have done the wheel I finally chose to use.

I do but its in bits I'm my workshop and its ocean blue and not in perfect condiditon.

My intention was to reassemble it and have it recovered at Royal wheels who have done the wheel I finally chose to use.

so you don't have a ready to use wire set to sell? is it possible to make one ?

Hi,

Yes it's quite straightforward to complete wiring, the challenge is to fit the paddles. There are plenty of articles on websites about how to do this I used a very sharp woodworkers chisel.

If you need the wiring diagram I will draw it out and scan a copy for you all that's required is to cut 2 wires and solder a resistor in line with each wire from memory a 330 ohm and a 170 ohm I cannot recal from memory which one goes in which side but I have the info in my workshop and will look in out tomorrow

Hi Wingco, paddels are installed already, THE only problem is to finish THE wiring, so Iff you can send me à  copy how to soldier it i am sure i can manage this....
Thx in advance..
Stefan

I have found it impossible to attach the pdf to a post pm me your email address and I will send wiring diagram

Here you go...
Steering Wheel Paddles – 997.1

1. Purchase a pair of AMG Shift Paddles part no.s A2125450068 & A2125450168.
2. Disconnect positive lead from battery.
3. Remove airbag.
4. Remove small electronic connector (pry gently or push from behind). Seem to remember this was yellow in colour.
5. Undo wheel. The correct torque setting when refitting is 40lbs.
6. Undo one small torx screw each holding the buttons to the wheel (do not
lose the shims).
7. Holding the button block in hand you see a 20 mm long white plug with many
wires – disconnect it (there is a catch to push).
8. Now you have the loom in hand.
9. Identify the correct wires and where to solder two leads with the resistors
to. I suggest not cutting the wires, but remove about 5mm of isolation about 50mm down from the plug.
10. Solder some 200mm long wires (0.3mm/sq) to them and properly isolate again.
11. Butcher the wheel to accept the paddles. You'll need to drill two holes. One for the bolt and another for the wires.
12. Remove the connectors from the paddles. Thread the wires through into the wheel and bolt the paddles to the aluminium to stop them floating around.
13. Use a small piece of printed circuit board and solder the resistors (150 left /300 right) onto this and then solder it to the wire you've connected to the buttons.
14. Then using a similar sized wire coming from the paddle, solder it to the wire/resistor/pcb.
15. Use some adequate isolation (heat shrink tubing) and try and cover the wire ends plus the pcb.
16. Put everything back together.
17. Don't overtighten the bolt to the paddle as this may prevent the switch from 'clicking' properly.
18. Once you have put everything back and you've checked it works, use black Milliput to fill the gap between the paddle and the steering wheel. You have 45mins to get a smooth finish (use a wet finger) before it sets. Its like steel when dry and stops the paddle from moving around.

19. Best of luck...

For the left paddle, you need to add the 150 ohm resistor between the black/black and grey/green wires.

For the right paddle, you need to add the 300 ohm resistor between the black/black and white/green wires.

Hi Richard, thanks for the lead but my English is not that well.... :oops:
What do you mean on number :
8. with "loom" ? is this the plug ?
12. Remove the connectors from the paddles, do you mean remove the screw that's fit the paddles ?
13. Use a small piece of printed circuit board and solder the resistors (150 left /300 right) , is it not possible to soldier the wires directly to the resistor ? do you have a picture of this one ?

I think the rest of it is clear enough and i do understand...
You do mean resistor like the picture i did ad ?
Stefan

Attachments

• resistor_sample_700.jpg
    resistor_sample_700.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,959
8. Loom - the original wiring installed in the car. In this instance, a collection of wires leading to the original tiptronic switch.
12. The paddles you have purchased come with connectors. Cut them off.
13. You can try soldering the resistor directly to the wires. By using a piece of circuit board, it gives you a better (larger) connection point.

Ok Richard, this is very clear to men thanks again, i keep you informed :thumbs:
First i am going to look for the 2 resistors 150ohm for the left side and 2 resistors 300 ohm for the right side.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

RichS1963 said:
For the left paddle, you need to add the 150 ohm resistor between the black/black and grey/green wires.

For the right paddle, you need to add the 300 ohm resistor between the black/black and white/green wires.

Richard, only "one" on each side ? i thought two on each side because you did write black/black AND grey/green , black/black AND white/green wires :?:
Now i am a bit confused ...:dont know:
Do i only put a resistor on the black/black wiring or the colored wires on each side :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back