Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 electric drivers seat stuck problem

olivers

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem/has any ideas about how to fix - I tried to move the passenger seat today (standard hardback) and it won't budge.

The lever moves, and clicks when you apply quite a lot of pressure, which the driver's side doesn't. I initially thought that was the problem, however, when I looked under the passenger seat and pulled the lever, the arm appears to be moving properly and disconnecting the teeth from the runner.

It isn't an immediate problem, as it's stuck in a fairly sensible position, but I would like to fix it.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Thanks

Oliver

Last edited by a moderator:
If the seat fore/aft adjustment lever is definitely disengaging the teeth **on both sides** from the rails that are bolted to the floor then it seems likely that there is something jammed in one of the rails that is preventing the seat moving. Is it at the limit of its travel in either direction?

If the offending item is not obvious you may need to remove the rails from the floor and carefully remove the whole seat from the car to give you better access to examine the rails. You will need to disconnect the electrical plug for the seat electrics to do this, plus the four allen-head bolts that hold the rails in position but it's a fairly easy thing to do.

Thanks, and good point re the teeth on both sides. It hadn't realised this until I looked at it more carefully, but they're both disengaging ok.

I also removed the carpet/mats and can't see an obvious blockage.

The seat is stuck right at the back of the runner. Do you know how I get to the bolts for the seat rail? At the back, everything seems to be hidden under the seat base.

Thanks again

Try getting the seat as high as you can using the electric height adjustment for both front and rear of the seat and then re-examining the runners.

If there's nothing that's obviously preventing the seat moving, you could also try giving the rails on the seat a thump towards the front of the car with a decent size hammer, protecting the rail itself with a piece of wood or similar.

Thanks both. I'll give those suggestions a go at the weekend and see if I can shift it.

Had an issue once before which turned out to be a little nasty.
One of the runner bolts for the runner on the seat had dropped they are obviously facing upwards if you see what I mean. Not enough to fall completely out but was jamming against the bolts bolting the runner to the floor of the car. Couldn't push the seat forward enough to get to the rear lower bolts. Unfortunately had to use an electric saw to cut the floor bolt to lift the seat out.
New bolts were fitted and with locktite.
Watch for that.

Steve

Not had chance to try so far. It was at my indy all weekend waiting for the 200 cell cat and new exhaust tips to be fitted, so I didn't get chance to fiddle.

I've already tried raising run seat as far as possible to no avail, but I haven't tried the idea in the Rennlist thread yet of reclining the backrest, that's the next idea.

I picked up some hardbacks to replace my comforts and have just had them refurbed which I'm really pleased with.

BUT since they have been fitted I have noticed the up and down adjustment isn't working properly on the drivers seat.

It's the furthest forward switch which adjusts the up and down movement of the front of the seat. The left hand side of the seat goes up and down fine but the right hand side has no movement which results in the seat twisting. This leaves the seat base sitting high on the right hand side. Being quite tall I need the seat at the lowest point it will go to avoid rubbing a bald patch on the top of my head from the roof lining!

Has anyone had a similar problem??

First thought would be the motor on that side is toast or could it be seized?
Also wondered if the connector isn't in properly could that affect just that side?

The only solution I have so far is to have a few inches shaved off my right butt cheek to compensate for the issue :dont know:

I successfully solved a similar issue by cleaning all the contacts in the switches by dowsing them in contact cleaner - had the seat out at the time......

Did it work pre-retrim?

The switch is likely ok if it is operating one of the two motors. More likely the wiring to that motor or that one motor is goosed. You could be lucky and it's just stuck. You'd need seat out to investigate it properly.

There's a few on eBay but not sure what the cost new is so worth checking that first.

If it's lower on the RHS it will be easier to get in/out and save excessive wear to the side bolster as your just get 'poured out' when opening the door :dont know:

Sounds like a contact on the motor. That said shouldn't there be only one motor for the fore up/down (and one for the aft up/down) otherwise how do you address calibration if an electrical feed is fed to two separate motors :dont know:

dommorton said:
Did it work pre-retrim?

Not sure Dom I hadn't tried them before the refurb, the seller didn't mention that there was an issue.

Thanks for the input everyone :thumbs: , sounds like the seat will be coming out again and for a thorough check of the wiring and contacts :frustrated:

Still on the bright side they look the dogs ******** :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back