Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

paddles on steering wheel 997

wing

Hi, i did ad some AMG paddles on my 997 multifunction steering wheel with tiptronic buttons on the front, and tought it was an easy fix to connect the wiring, but yes it was wrong, i is not easy at all because i did not work at all....
I dont like the tiptronic buttons on the front of the steering wheel and want to ad this change...
Did someone over here fix the wiring for the paddles on his steering wheel ?
I did a search on this board but could not find a lead.. :?

Ps, sorry for my bad Englisch.. i am from Belgium.... :D

I'm sure someone may be able to help you more quickly but if not, if you can wait a couple of days (out of the Country for the weekend), I'll send you a step by step guide with all the resistor and wiring information. PM me your email address.

@ Rich, my e-mail adres is [email protected] thanks in advance :thumbs:

@ Phil, i will look up your link, thanks...
Don't know iff i am going to Germany, and i live 150 km from Gent :bye:

@ Phil, this thread is about a 996, and i did read on the net it's not the same for a 997, but just cant find anything on the wiring...

Stefan, the other option is to fit a 997.2 steering wheel the sport one with the paddles you would need the gen2 sport wheel, gen2 airbag and the newer steering control module. your local porsche centre can program the new steering module and as long as you turn on the multifunction option on PIWIS everything will work even if you dont have MF you must turn it on using PIWIS .

Now I have said that I am wondering if you need to do something similar with the amg PADDLES and turn on your multifunction option even if you dont have Multifunction.

There are threads on here about 997s fitting Paddles but to be honest most just retro fit the 997.2/991.1 sport wheel as that has paddles and inc wheel,airbag and steering module will cost you about £1000

wing said:
@ Rich, my e-mail adres is [email protected] thanks in advance :thumbs:

@ Phil, i will look up your link, thanks...
Don't know iff i am going to Germany, and i live 150 km from Gent :bye:

150km thats about 25 mins in a 997. :floor: :floor: come and join us for a beer there are about 10/12 of us staying 1 night in Gent

Hi Phil, honest i don't like the 997.2 steering wheel, i have a custom made in Germany, i will post a picture later, its flat on the side below and it's in the same color as the interieur , sand color, and also multifunction...
I added the AMG paddles and hope to find someone who can guide me how to connect them.

About Gent, just be careful when you are here in Belgium, there is a lot of Police with "free" tickets for speeding, and a lot of "tracking control" or how do you call this...

wing said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi Phil, unless i am missing something i only can see the wiring from a tiptronic wheel, i cant see the wiring of a multifunction wheel, those colors are different..., they ar two/tone colored or how do you call it... :?
Also don't understand what they mean with the resistors... :pc:

Sorry Stefan I haven't done this mod as I just fitted a gen 2 wheel with the PDK rockers but if you PM the threads author he may be able to advise you more.

This is what is meant in English by resistors

Resistor
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Axial-lead resistors on tape. The component is cut from the tape during assembly and the part is inserted into the board.
A resistor is a passive two-terminal electrical component that implements electrical resistance as a circuit element. In electronic circuits, resistors are used to reduce current flow, adjust signal levels, to divide voltages, bias active elements, and terminate transmission lines, among other uses. High-power resistors that can dissipate many watts of electrical power as heat may be used as part of motor controls, in power distribution systems, or as test loads for generators. Fixed resistors have resistances that only change slightly with temperature, time or operating voltage. Variable resistors can be used to adjust circuit elements (such as a volume control or a lamp dimmer), or as sensing devices for heat, light, humidity, force, or chemical activity.

Resistors are common elements of electrical networks and electronic circuits and are ubiquitous in electronic equipment. Practical resistors as discrete components can be composed of various compounds and forms. Resistors are also implemented within integrated circuits.

The electrical function of a resistor is specified by its resistance: common commercial resistors are manufactured over a range of more than nine orders of magnitude. The nominal value of the resistance falls within the manufacturing tolerance, indicated on the component.

here a pic of my gen2 wheel.

Attachments

• img_0354_540.jpg
    img_0354_540.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 4,567
Hi Phil, thanks for this explenation..
This is a picture from e-bay like it is advertised, so you have any idea what for steering wheel i did buy
The problem is the threat that is posted ebove is from a tiptronic, and not from a tiptronic multifuncional steering wheel, the difference is the wiring color on a multifunction steering wheel , these are two/tone colored, and the colors from the wiring on a tiptronc wheel are only one color...

dpigeo.jpg

I've PM'd Stefan separately but I've got an easy to follow 'how to' for the multifunction wheel.

I did mine a year or so ago and it works perfectly as well as retaining the functionality of the rest of the controls.

If it helps, I'll try and copy the info into this thread. Just got to wait until I get home. Currently enjoying a weekend away in Montreaux...

RichS1963 said:
I've PM'd Stefan separately but I've got an easy to follow 'how to' for the multifunction wheel.

I did mine a year or so ago and it works perfectly as well as retaining the functionality of the rest of the controls.

If it helps, I'll try and copy the info into this thread. Just got to wait until I get home. Currently enjoying a weekend away in Montreaux...

Rich it would be good if you could post it for others in the future :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back