Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Feeling utterly dejected

Sorry you've had some bad news. If it's not affecting the car at the moment continue to drive it and enjoy - especially with the new bits. I had mine inspected before I bought it and plan not to re-look into the bores until there is some very compelling evidence of scoring!

Could you go to OPC and see how much it would cost to get yourself into a Gen 2 (trading this one in?).... Compared to a rebuild?

RedJedi said:
Could you go to OPC and see how much it would cost to get yourself into a Gen 2 (trading this one in?).... Compared to a rebuild?

Thanks for all the comments guys, most welcome and reassuring.

The above post is what I've been thinking but I will see how things go.

Love the car and I've spent a small fortune on it keeping it well maintained.

I look at it this way. I accept that there is a reasonable chance that someday mine will need a rebuild i hope it doesn't . But if it does i will take advantage of the situation and hopefully get it rebuilt to be as bulletproof as possible and see how much power can be added .
I won't go looking for issues but if i get symptoms then i'l investigate , then if a rebuild is needed turn it into something a bit special if possible . :thumb:

Only yesterday Baz from Hartech said they were likely to be taking orders for the 3.9 towards the end of the year :grin:

Until then , keep driving , adding oil as & when required , and putting funds by :thumb:

I'm on 68k, I'm sort of assuming it's only a matter of time

But just imagine a lovely uprated Hartech lump :p

ragpicker said:
Horrible news bud...

However if you had the scope done to see so that you knew if it was going to need a rebuild in the future then you've now found your answer. If this is the first time its been scoped then its not really much use to you because it could have been like this since you bought it.

Its pretty safe to say that the majority of M97 engines have scored, but many engines score. The 944 engines were just as bad for it but because they aren't 911's nobody is bothered.

If you know its a keeper then start a little kitty for the rebuild, no rush, and continue to drive it as you have. Then when you've got enough cash to have it done get it re-scoped. If there has been no change in the scoring then go on a nice holiday with the money and start again. If its worse then get it rebuilt.

Just my 2p...

:thumb:

Alfaian,

Really sorry to hear your news. My 997 isn't showing any telltale signs either and I'm going to leave looking at the bores as long as I possibly can. If it happens then it's piggy bank raiding time - I want to keep the car I have as it's my first and special (if that makes sense).

Quoted Ragpicker's post as it's really sound advice imho.

All the very best mate. :thumb:

FRZ 911 said:
ragpicker said:
Horrible news bud...

However...........

:thumb:

Alfaian,

Quoted Ragpicker's post as it's really sound advice imho.

Dr's orders! :thumb:

Ian, As I have said to others mate. you would have lost as much in depreciation in pretty much any other car as the rebuild is going to cost you, so thats the positive to driving these cars they hold their price giving you confidence to invest in a rebuild. Also talk to Hartech as the std rebuild is not as expensive as the threads would have you believe it only goes up when guys start looking for more power and changing bits that dont need changing. :thumb:
Its mainly number 6 that suffers due to oil starvation it seems if the others are all ok well you could just replace number 6 and the other one that got a bit. and that really brings the price down. but Baz will give you all those options when you call him in the meantime enjoy the car as there are no symptoms.
Are you absolutely sure its excessive score as all engines score a bit as they get older and I have heard of misdiagnosis and normal scoring is mistaken for the dreaded borescore which is much more excessive..
Keep us posted on what options etc are open to you after speaking to Baz :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Ian, As I have said to others mate. you would have lost as much in depreciation in pretty much any other car as the rebuild is going to cost you, so thats the positive to driving these cars they hold their price giving you confidence to invest in a rebuild. Also talk to Hartech as the std rebuild is not as expensive as the threads would have you believe it only goes up when guys start looking for more power and changing bits that dont need changing. :thumb:
Its mainly number 6 that suffers due to oil starvation it seems if the others are all ok well you could just replace number 6 and the other one that got a bit. and that really brings the price down. but Baz will give you all those options when you call him in the meantime enjoy the car as there are no symptoms.
Are you absolutely sure its excessive score as all engines score a bit as they get older and I have heard of misdiagnosis and normal scoring is mistaken for the dreaded borescore which is much more excessive..
Keep us posted on what options etc are open to you after speaking to Baz :thumb:

Hi phil, yes bore 6 looks like it will be a problem in the future. How near or far I don't know.

As others have said ( thanks again) these marks may well have been there before I bought the car so, while symptoms aren't presenting themselves I will play it by ear and keep an eye on oil consumption, which is about a quarter of a litre in between services ( 5k) upto now. Also the tailpipes are clean and the engine pulls like a train, same performance as always :grin:

The intake mod with filter is great btw :thumb:

Sorry to hear this but stay positive mate, at least you have forewarning at some point it might get worse and be prepared and as others have said it might have been like that for some time.
Main thing is keep driving and enjoying it :thumb:

seeforez said:
Sorry to hear this but stay positive mate, at least you have forewarning at some point it might get worse and be prepared and as others have said it might have been like that for some time.
Main thing is keep driving and enjoying it :thumb:

Cheers mate :thumb: any source of comfort is very welcome.

Like I've said, the car is going superb and these marks don't come overnight and probably been there for a while.

If I can get another 5k which is probably 2years as the it's a weekend toy then I'll look at it then. Few jobs to do on it first.

Coil springs maybe with dampers.

Coolant pipes are corroded in front.

££££ :sad:

Gutted for you Alfaian :sad:

All of us kettle drivers have it in the back of our minds at certain points of ownership, at least it is repairable as she stands :thumb:

Can I ask, is it an S 3.8 :?:

Sorry to hear this fella. I can imagine its a major downer, but it will still put smiles on your face on those great roads... as others have said it drives today like it did yesterday, enjoy it and at least you know it's early stage from the sound of it and can plan accordingly.

Alfaian said:
Phil 997 said:

Hi phil, yes bore 6 looks like it will be a problem in the future. How near or far I don't know.

As others have said ( thanks again) these marks may well have been there before I bought the car so, while symptoms aren't presenting themselves I will play it by ear and keep an eye on oil consumption, which is about a quarter of a litre in between services ( 5k) upto now. Also the tailpipes are clean and the engine pulls like a train, same performance as always :grin:

The intake mod with filter is great btw :thumb:

Mate if your only using 1/4 ltr every 5k I really wouldnt be too worried and if you only do 5k pa you will get another 2or3 years out of her at least before you start to think rebuild and thats plenty of time to have fun while saving . Glad you like the induction mod doesnt the engine breath so much better and sound sweet when you floor it lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back