Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttt's 993 C4S Journal

mohitos said:
A good time to fit Tore's LED bulbs Jonttt, if you don't already have them.

Good point.....

I already have LED's fitted but not to the reverse / fog lights in the centre unit. I'll check the bulb fitment / size.

Dream911 said:
I hope you also bought rear side lights to complete the panel. :cop:

:thumb: The corner units don't seem to be as faded. I'll see what they look like when fitted.

Tore sells kits.
If you go for his, you'll need to add the fog lights separately :thumb:

Mine arrived today from the same source. ToreB leds already fitted in old one, brilliant (pun intended). Label says made in Spain but reflector itself made in Germany. There will no doubt be plenty used ones on ebay shortly.

Attachments

• 2017_01_23_184352_218.jpg
    2017_01_23_184352_218.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 8,669
So I got in at 3am this morning and had to be up at 8am for a breakfast Easter Egg hunt with friends and family. The weather was crap. I needed something to do that would accommodate bad weather and my head so I thought I would fit the 993 rear central light unit I purchased a few weeks ago........

jonttt said:
A common age related OCD "Issue" :roll: with the 993 is that the rear centre light unit plastic fogs over time with exposure to UV light. This can't be polished out and requires a new unit to rectify.
Its one of those things that was not necessary but on the nice to do list so I've kept my eyes open for any discounted new units on eBay etc... with zero luck.
The "What have you bought your 993" thread identified an online car discount store that was selling these at a discount and so I took the opportunity to order one.
It arrived today and I'm pleased to say is genuine Porsche stock of newly manufactured part.
The item came very very well packaged in a large outer box, inner box and loads of soft packaging to protect what can be a delicate unit when not fitted. Opened in perfect condition...

These are easy to fit so I'll wait a few weeks until it warms up :what:

Lol I wish the weather was warm !

Anyway the job is dead easy......

Remove the rear side light units with are only retained by one screw...

and disconnect the two bulb holders....

Remove the "tidy strip" above the central light unit by rotating the x4 retaining clips 1/4 turn nb be careful when lifting the cover free as these clips can spring away and get lost in the engine.....

Next there are x3 retaining hex bolts to remove....

Then the central light unit is free to just carefully pull away..

At this point I removed the light harness from the light unit but there is no need to do this...... the new unit comes complete with harness and new bulbs (which I forgot to check as it was still in the packaging at this stage). You remove by carefully levering the 2 retaining clips to separate the connector. It is easier to remove the connector to do this by undoing the retaining screw on the light unit....

So this pic shows the central unit light harness still on the car but there is no need to leave it there....

Obviously OCD kicks in at this point and a clean up and wax is necessary....(nb I leave the wax in place as extra protection)....

Before fitting the new unit it was a chance to compare new and old side by side. My old unit is not actually that bad compared to most I've seen on cars, its the white reversing units that have degraded the most...

So then its just a matter of refitting everything.....

The side units push fit into the central unit and then screw back in place...

and finally a comparison fitted....

OLD

NEW

Its the small things that make all the difference :thumb:

Freshens it up a treat :thumb:
The reflector strips seem to age worse than anything else on a 993 :dont know:

I have neglected to update this thread with the 993's new stablemate.....

I have started a separate Boxster GTS journal (link on my signature)

This was bought after a change of heart on the Macan GTS order which was simply not the right car for SWMBO...... so I got her an Evoque Autobiography and with what I "saved" on the Macan I got the boxster (or so she believes :wink: )

You can have her, she has just spent £100 on matching flip flops for her and little SWMBO :roll:

Good job she knows the cost of clothes better than the price of cars though :thumb:

........ OK ...... I'll settle for the Boxster GTS ........ forget the flip flops ........ and the Mrs ......... ;)

His and Hers Crocsâ„¢ :thumbs:

dommorton said:
His and Hers Crocsâ„¢ :thumbs:

I wondered who would notice :thumb:

The Mrs hates them so I have 2 pairs. One pair for mechanics and one pair for painting :bandit:

I have the same Crocs chap. I too rate them massively as there is nothing better for a day in the garden or garage when slipping off and on numerous times would be a pain with any other footwear. Gold.

Are you selling your old rear reflector?..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back