Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 Sound

cobrars

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi all,

I've recently been trying to find the right "sound track" for my car. After what is now my 5th set of exhausts I think I've eventually found what I've been looking for. :worship:

This is a link to a short video which I took on my phone last night. I will take some better ones over the weekend.

At this point I've got the standard Porsche manifolds, Top Gear Stainless Steel 200 Cell X-Flow Large Bore Sport Cats and Top Gear Valvetronic Switchable Back Boxes. I do also have the Top Gear Ceramic Coated Stainless Steel Manifolds to go on but that's a job for "J-man" at Nelson Porsche to sort.... I can't be dealing with snapped bolts. :hand:

I've bought a Genuine PSE switch and with some cleaver trickery by my dad, a retired electrician, i'll be wiring this in so it looks like the proper job as opposed to the remote fob switching that's supplied with the exhausts.

Because the switch is not wired in yet I was manually closing one of the actuators to show the difference between open and closed. I could only reach one side though so you can still hear a little burble from the other side exhaust

The video does not do the sound any justice.

I know this might not be to everyone's taste! But I think it sounds amazing. Hope it's still as good if not better with the manifolds on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWTJvEfuWX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-b09CgmHI

Thanks
Craig

I generally find that drive-bys give a better feel for how a car sounds, also interior recording when driving, though I appreciate your car is still in bits!

Sounds good so far...

Good that your pa can wire the switch in properly, nice to have the OE switch.

While watching your linked vids it showed a few of your older exhaust variants i have to say the valve tronic and the 200cell x-pipe is the best of the lot in my opinion, sounds lovely.

I have a PSE and looking at the topgear 200cell x-pipe to go with it mainly due to the fact i hate the standard items looking so rusty!, did you find fitment to be good?

Ive got 200 cell xpipe big bore and dansk super sound silencers , and best combination of sound ive had :D

@ Robertb, Once the car is back together mate i'll be sticking my GoPro on the back and getting some in motion footage and will get Mark to do a few drive by's.

I've just tested everything for the switch mechanism tonight and all works perfectly, Thanks Pops !!! Will get all that fitted this weekend hopefully. YEY :thumbs:

@JM30, Definitely !!! The setup i have on now is the best its been... was out there tonight tinkering on trying to get a bit more done. Thanks :thumb:

There was a little bit of "persuasion" needed when fitting the cats but nothing too serious, i drilled the holes out a bit on my standard manifolds to help with fitment. Nice piece of kit mind the Top Gear stuff...

@BHZ661, I've no doubt yours will sound very similar to mine when its in loud mode ??? have you a video on you tube ?? if so, upload the link !! I'd like to hear it, if not get one uploaded :thumb:

Cheers guys

Craig, sounds lovely mate ,I also have the topgear valvetronic and 200 cell big bore cats on my 997.1 it is a great sound and when you floor it the gates of hell open lol . I have had mine fitted for 2 years and no issues with quality .Topgear are a very good company and their products great quality . I am very interested in the OE switch option done by your Dad there is a 997 member who has done the same. I would love that option over the remote fob, maybe your Dad needs to cost it and offer the option out to others. :grin: :grin: :thumb: when you do the follow up vid can you include a bit of the pse switch working. :thumb: :thumb: I went with the NHP stainless X51 headers from the states but looking forward to hearing yours with the ceramic coated option. might be worth grabbing the titanium bolts from member poppopbangbang for your headers when you fit them :thumb: :thumb:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=110603

Attachments

• undefined_73918140782456812801280_101.png
    undefined_73918140782456812801280_101.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 4,958
Craig, it sounds lush I can see why you like it so much and well done for persevering with your choices.

:thumb:

@ Phil 997, Thanks mate, I've not yet had the chance to drive it with the exhausts on yet, hopefully at some point this weekend i will. yeah the Top Gear stuff is good quality.

The switch isn't too bad to do actually, on the 996 anyway, there is a wiring diagram on here already, i'll upload mine once i've got my dad to draw it up properly, in the way he did for me, the "idiot proof" guide as he calls it :floor:

Yes mate i will do a quick video showing the switch, not a problem.

Those headders you've bought there look very similar to the stock items, only better obviously.. they look nice

I've saw poppopbangbang post before, i contemplated getting them but to be honest i think i'll just stick with the stainless steel ones and have them swapped out every service, I'll check with my indie though and see what he thinks. Thanks for the info :thumb:

@stewhp, yeah, thanks mate... it's taken me a while to find the right setup, i can safely say from now, unless something goes seriously wrong with these, i'll never need to buy another set of exhausts again :thumbs:

Thanks Lads
Craig

Hi Guys,

Sunday past was a lovely sunny day and found that, for reasons still unknown, :floor: I needed to have a run up Marks house. Some lovely roads out that way :thumb: So I decided to take the Porsche out for a little run and saying as my GoPro was fully charged, why not stick it to the back of the car and get a little video of the exhausts with the valves open and closed.

So just to recap, at present I've got standard manifolds, Top Gear 200 cell X-Flow large bore sport cats and the Top Gear Valvetronic back boxes.

Valves Closed (Quiet Mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSuWs_cS4mY

Valves Open (Loud Mode)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5BGPF37yg

The videos don't do the sound any justice....

Top Gear Ceramic Coated Manifolds getting fitted next month :thumbs:

Thanks

Craig

Sounds brilliant... 'Loud' reminds me of the 981 Boxster S with PSE, which is a good thing.

Sound great really like it, has a nice deep tone and rasp high up :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back