Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Barn Find Refurbishment

Yes, it will need new rear lights.
They are the worst I have ever seen!

All in hand :D

What products have you used on the job, it would be good to get a list of what you have used in all areas.

well done good work, if you fancy a working holiday in Scotland I have a C2 project that I am just starting that looks much the same as the one your doing.

Wowsers, an astonishing transformation :eek:

Fun project though.

EXTERIOR

I knew the interior was bad but until the exterior was cleaned properly and under the lights I didn't know what condition the paintwork was in.

Needless to say it wasn't good!

Given a big budget, a glass out, bare metal re-spray is the way to go but as we don't have that a 2 stage machine polish will work wonders for a fraction of the price.

The fabric hood was cleaned first and re-proofed.

Then the body work was pre-soaked, hose rinsed, 2 bucket washed, rinsed, dried and fallout remover applied to the whole car (it turns red when it comes into contact with metal contaminates in the paintwork, see pics), then rinsed off again, dried, tar remover applied to lower third. Tar removed, rinsed and then clay barred and a final wash, rinse and dry.

Next, up on the ramp and masking done before starting the machine polishing stages. Paint thickens readings were taken from all over the bodywork before starting on the many localised blemishes and scratches to see what could be done to lessen them. Then a 2 stage machine polish was conducted on the whole bodywork to remove most of the wash swirls and random scratches keeping a constant eye on the paint thickness.

The car will now go on to have a 3 layer gloss & protection applied. Products are still to be decided but probably either Zaino or a Gtecniq or a combination of both.

Attachments

• ext__12_172.jpg
    ext__12_172.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__11_932.jpg
    ext__11_932.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__10_833.jpg
    ext__10_833.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__9_200.jpg
    ext__9_200.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__8_166.jpg
    ext__8_166.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__7_325.jpg
    ext__7_325.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__6_411.jpg
    ext__6_411.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__5_936.jpg
    ext__5_936.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__4_131.jpg
    ext__4_131.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 4,577
  • ext__3_182.jpg
    ext__3_182.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,577
Top work by someone who obviously knows what they are doing :thumb:

I'm sure you've get to them but how are the rubber seals ?

Amazing transformation so far and a real credit to you.
I'd really appreciate it if you could list a few of the products you used to clean the interior trim panels as I've just realised how dusty dirty mine are due to the roof being open a lot of the time!
Thanks v much :)

Fulla said:
Bruce I would like to apply to be one of your friends....I have a driveway find C4S.....
:floor:

Great work BB :thumb: What a satisfying project, going to look first class when complete. Well done sir :salut:

How sad, alot of work avoidable if only sheeted over and put on axle stands etc. Your mate doesnt deserve this iconic car but you do, fantastic work. :thumb:

jonttt said:
Top work by someone who obviously knows what they are doing :thumb:

I'm sure you've get to them but how are the rubber seals ?

Surprisingly most of the rubbers are still ok!

BenC said:
Amazing transformation so far and a real credit to you.
I'd really appreciate it if you could list a few of the products you used to clean the interior trim panels as I've just realised how dusty dirty mine are due to the roof being open a lot of the time!
Thanks v much :)

All the trim, vinyl and carpets were cleaned with Bilt Hamber SurfexHD diluted 30-1.

There are lots of good products you could use that would work well, the important thing is to follow the instructions.

Remember, technique is more important than product.

What absolutely brilliant work!
The finish is amazing 8)
I bet you've doubled the value from what it would have been from the barn, at least!

I wish I had your patience :oops:

Chief said:
What absolutely brilliant work!
The finish is amazing 8)
I bet you've doubled the value from what it would have been from the barn, at least!

I wish I had your patience :oops:

Your probably not far wrong on the added value. Makes my bill look very good value indeed :D

On jobs like these patience is the most valuable skill you can have :thumb:

IMPORTANT PART

Almost forgot to mention that the most important part has now been fitted :D

Attachments

• ww__1_205.jpg
    ww__1_205.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 4,316
Excellent handiwork, both inside and outside. :thumb:

Also shows the quality of Porsche build/engineering in that everything has come up so well once all the grime has gone.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back