Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin Super Sports MPSS # 997 Tyre Thread (Input needed)

RJKflyer said:
N-rated is a sidewall code applied to a tyre which Porsche have tested and approved for their vehicles. Several car manufacturers do this - including BMW who have a 'star' as their stamp in the sidewall, and Audi who have an 'R'. The number that accompanies it is a revision number, e.g. N2.

The tyre with an N is actually different from one without. In the case of Michelin and the PS2, the tread compound is slightly different and the rear tyre sidewall slightly stiffer.

In the same way that a 255/35 PS2 with an R rating has a slightly narrower sidewall to suit a prior version of the Audi RS6 where strut clearance was an issue. People proclaimed that there was 'no issue' using MPSS on an RS4, which there wasn't, because it's not an RS6...

Also Porsche will not provide an extended warranty if you do not fit the approved tyre. There is always a huge argument on the internet about the necessity of the N tyre - perhaps the MPSS has some advantages over the PS2 , but the most knowledgeable people seem to support that the overall driving experience is most balanced, complete and reliable with the PS2 vs. The MPSS.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell you the MPSS is "better in the wet" or "lasts longer", and I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but I stand by my complete sentence...

All of which is very nice - but they don't make them anymore, the parrot is dead. :)

So at the risk of kicking off world war 3 from all directions... what is the best option now - I think everyone fundamentally finds the P-Zeros to be avg at best. Bridgestone? Goodyear? or Sod the N rating and go 91y over 87 Y and go PS4S ?

redbaron1973 said:
All of which is very nice - but they don't make them anymore, the parrot is dead. :)

So at the risk of kicking off world war 3 from all directions... what is the best option now - I think everyone fundamentally finds the P-Zeros to be avg at best. Bridgestone? Goodyear? or Sod the N rating and go 91y over 87 Y and go PS4S ?

I had 'N' rated Michelins on previously but now have Michelin PS4S on mine and am massively impressed, the grip in both the wet and dry is incredible. A HUGE step up from my last set of 'N' rated tyres...

redbaron1973 said:

:? Which tyre are you claiming they don't make anymore?

If you're inferring this about N rated PS2s you are wrong, unless they've ceased manufacture since July when the four recently fitted to my car were made.

AdeD said:
redbaron1973 said:

I had 'N' rated Michelins on previously but now have Michelin PS4S on mine and am massively impressed, the grip in both the wet and dry is incredible. A HUGE step up from my last set of 'N' rated tyres...

:yeah: Exactly the same story with me. PS4S are boss. So far....

T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:

If you're inferring this about N rated PS2s you are wrong, unless they've ceased manufacture since July when the four recently fitted to my car were made.

Yes I am saying they don't make them anymore as a series production tyre. I am told production has ceased and only bit of stock remain in the channel. Hence they no longer show on Michelin Website. This was what I was told by my tyre supplier also.

I know Michelin is rationalising the range and hopefully PS4 PS4S will appear with N rating for 997 sizes soon.

redbaron1973 said:
T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:

Yes I am saying they don't make them anymore as a series production tyre. I am told production has ceased and only bit of stock remain in the channel. Hence they no longer show on Michelin Website. This was what I was told by my tyre supplier also.

I know Michelin is rationalising the range and hopefully PS4 PS4S will appear with N rating for 997 sizes soon.

How does the 87y vs 91y thing relate to N rated tyres? Or am I wrong to infer that from your post?

Jcx said:
redbaron1973 said:
T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:

How does the 87y vs 91y thing relate to N rated tyres? Or am I wrong to infer that from your post?

they don't yet make 87Y - they only make 91Y (higher weight rating) in PS4S - presumably 91 is slightly stiffer side wall?

GT3 and GT3 RS use the 91Y..

Im unclear if using the 87Y "older designs" to keep Porsche warranty happy is lunacy or using a newer design 91Y is actually a sensible approach...

Given my car is well out of Porsche warranty..... what have others done?

I'm not convinced about the sidewall stiffness argument, but I'll replace my MPSS with PS4S when worn.

Magic919 said:
I'm not convinced about the sidewall stiffness argument, but I'll replace my MPSS with PS4S when worn.

are yours 87 or 91?

They are 91 and I'm not sure they came in anything else.

redbaron1973 said:
T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:

I hadn't heard that. I'm just pleased I got my new PS2s on in time for my Feb' 2018 warranty renewal.

For Feb' 2020 it will be somebody else's problem. :D

T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:
T8 said:
redbaron1973 said:

I hadn't heard that. I'm just pleased I got my new PS2s on in time for my Feb' 2018 warranty renewal.

For Feb' 2020 it will be somebody else's problem. :D

Oooh!! When do you plan to sell T8?

jc

Hi

my tyre fitter is offering me PS4S or PS2 N2s 9 (for £10 more) - which to go for?

does N rated matter?

(car is '05 so no warranty issues)

thanks
Dave

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back