Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911tom's 3.8l engine build

Thanks Neil... It's a long ol trek for me! I'm booked on to terminal velocity which is excellent value compared to Vmax.

Not much to update at the moment. I have been busy running the engine in, covered 850 miles so far so very nearly there. Hoping to be visiting Rick next week at some point.

850 Tom, great stuff. I will get my car back in about a week, just need some good weather for some live mapping and then set to let loose!!!

But you cant wait too. Keep your updates coming

Regards Faried

a small update. 1,500 miles now covered. Post build oil change done. The first stage of tuning has been done by Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments. It is currently producing 713bhp and 755lb torque! There is more to come from it yet when we fit meth injection etc. The plan is to let the engine settle a bit first.

Last time I was at TV woodbridge the car had been dyno'd at 540bhp and did 190 laser. Clearly I'm not going to be rolling with the 9exx / ESXXXX crew but I'm hoping to break the 200mph barrier.

I picked the car up from unicorn today at took it straight to center gravity where it is having ohlins fitted. The M6 was busy but I had a couple of opportunities to bury my right foot and my god it is quick! The RWD conversion actually compliments the car in a weird way. All I can say is going RWD has given some feeling back. It is totally manageable even with 700 odd horses pushing it along.

I'm looking forward to Thursday when I collect it from CoG and of course the upcoming TV at Woodbridge.

That's excellent news Tom!! Had been waiting for you to post the results, as had received a partial update on Saturday :thumbs:

Interesting that you like the rear wheel drive conversion, so many posts on 6so say much the same so it is good to have another confirmation on here too.

The car will be immense after the CG Ohlins set up, sounds like it will be some tool when completely finished, very jealous :grin:

Fantastic news Tom.

I concur withe the RWD only drivetrain. i actually feel a little more in control or connected to teh car if that makes sence.

Like yours, still a lot to come from my car

Speak soon and we gotta meet up. You at beaulieu ?

Regards FRP Faried

Sounds fantastic, I will be very interested to read about the meth update too.

MC

Hi Tom, your car sounds the mutts!

TV - We're also looking forward to some nice weather and a few good 200+ runs :)

ragpicker said:
I forgot to ask, how does the tip feel now its been to germany and back? Noticeable improvement??

Are your clutches still slipping?

If you are going to get your built contact me first as we'll get a combo deal

Best

Si

I'll do another update after I've had a bit more time to gel with the car but first impressions is that RWD has improved the car. I was dead against it as my car is not really set up for track use and the key thing for me was the ability to put the power down. For this reason I was against it. However Mr Ken 9e kindly advised that running the front diff could be dangerous so out it came.

I won't make Beulieu unfortunately it clashes with a Christening. We should try and meet up Faried. Be great to see your 9exx. May is fairly clear for me I think...

I need to make some decisions on the meth kit before I go for it. I need to decide whether I want / need to change the Y pipe. Like all these mods you do not know what difference it makes if any until you spend £0,000's and try it. I have a aem meth kit but am tempted to sell it on and invest in a aquamist as they have a lot more control. I also do not really want to loose the space in the frunk with a big tank. As I still use the car for family days out and need to be able to fit a pushchair in there lol. I am thinking about fitting a small race battery where the CD changer lived and using the space where the big bosch battery sits to house a custom made tank.

Vbox, not yet Rags, thanks for sending it back, I only collected it from the post office yesterday. Can't say the box feels any different really, it is just more strong and certainly is not slipping.
Fingers crossed for some nice weather at TV Ben. See you both there :)

Impressive numbers already Tom :thumb: if when out and about locally you come up behind a lowered black 996 Carrera try not to kick up any stones as you blast past please! :hand: :cop: :)

911tom said:
I picked the car up from unicorn today at took it straight to center gravity where it is having ohlins fitted. The M6 was busy but I had a couple of opportunities to bury my right foot and my god it is quick! The RWD conversion actually compliments the car in a weird way. All I can say is going RWD has given some feeling back. It is totally manageable even with 700 odd horses pushing it along.

:worship:

I bet it still doesn't sound like an Atom :floor:

:thumb:

Haha well it's me screaming when I press the accelerator this time not a supercharger!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back