Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 2017 'Top Gear' Season 24

mikeluke said:
Rory is treated like an outsider and given all the crap jobs to do - Matt and Chris do Dubai/Oman - everyone (apart from Rory) does the USA... it is getting embarrassing the way he is left on the sidelines...

Le Blanc - famous actor turned presenter known to have a penchant for supercars, having owned many and clearly having plenty of relevant experience driving them. Has made his living talking in front of cameras.

Harris - long term motoring journalist (print, online and in video) with a full racing license and multiple starts in the Nurburgring 24 hour race (including an overall 4th place in 2010) as well as a long history of supercar ownership.

Schmitz - a lifetime of racing experience at the Nurburgring (including 2 overall victories in the 24 hour race). Presenter of D Motor (German motoring programme).

Reid - has worked on some web sites and done a little bit of minor TV presenting. Do consider that he was originally just hired to present Extra Gear and was promoted because he was a popular fit for the main show compared to Chris Evans.

It isn't exactly rocket science to expect Rory to be marginalised when it comes to reviewing super and hypercars is it? I expect that they will work him into it over time, but at the moment he isn't actually qualified to do the serious machinery...

Meanwhile - I rather enjoyed the last episode and think that it has now got to where it needs to be. People who didn't like the old Clarkson trio show aren't particularly likely to be converted, however most of those who did will probably stay with the show as it now is. It is IMHO tangibly better than the Amazon Grand Tour show now.

Disco said:
Meanwhile - I rather enjoyed the last episode and think that it has now got to where it needs to be. People who didn't like the old Clarkson trio show aren't particularly likely to be converted, however most of those who did will probably stay with the show as it now is. It is IMHO tangibly better than the Amazon Grand Tour show now.

Agreed :thumb:

Show is now at a level where it is as good as the previous Trio in their heyday. In terms of the line-up, would drop Eddie J totally as don't think he really adds anything.

DRZ911 said:
Disco said:

Agreed :thumb:

Show is now at a level where it is as good as the previous Trio in their heyday. In terms of the line-up, would drop Eddie J totally as don't think he really adds anything.

Agree entirely.

EJ is a self absorbed PITA and adds nothing worthwhile

Car segments are good

The extended guest features (clearly as they've run out of ideas) are just awful. The guest line up for this season are a list of B / C Listers, not like the old Clarkson days when they were A list hitters.

but they still have an American hosting the worlds biggest (British) Car show as the BBC were too afraid of the repeating the global failure of the last season and no Brit has been brave enough to try and replace Clarkson.

Doesn't have to try very hard to be better than that rubbish on Amazon Prime! With a choice between the two I would go for Top Gear every time.
Pluses; It's a car show and there are plenty of reviews of new cars, supercars, sportscars etc. Have quite taken to the presenters, Harris's driving credentials are well known and Le Blanc is far more likeable than the ginger one.
Negatives; the guest slot, it's just doesn't work, Clarkson was excellent at getting the best out of his guests and blowing sunshine up the appropriate opening! Bring back the challenges, the Aston, Veyron, Ferrari ones were very watchable. The Kazakh one was crap.

I think the new TG is very good, back to being a car programme, none of the presenters are bigger than the show, and the chemistry is building. I actually like Matt Le Blanc as main presenter, he adds something in that he isn't a journalist, just a very skilled car nut, and he brought bikes into the show. Folk forget, a great many car nuts also own bikes.
I am looking forward to many more shows. As for TGT, not watched a single one, happy to never see Clarkson's ugly mug, or have to hear his arrogant, oafish views ever again. Happy to watch stuff that Hammond or May do solo, but not together, it's been done and run it's course.

I'm starting to warm to it as it has genuinely more car related stuff and less buggering about as had become the old versions way. Reid is still pointless though.

Zeb said:
I'm starting to warm to it as it has genuinely more car related stuff and less buggering about as had become the old versions way. Reid is still pointless though.

:thumb:

Was it on last night as I missed it and it doesn't seem to be on BBC I player :?

996lee said:
Was it on last night as I missed it and it doesn't seem to be on BBC I player :?

Nope, canned for a week because of the Golf :dont know:

arry said:
996lee said:

Attachments

• screen_shot_2017_04_10_at_174344_225.png
    screen_shot_2017_04_10_at_174344_225.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 4,449
arry said:
996lee said:

For GOLF sorry but what's more important.... Been waiting for it to appear on iPlayer. Oh well looks like we'll have to wait until next week.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back