Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Acceleration's flatter than normal Ron?

Alex

Nordschleife
Recently (last 3 weeks) my car seems to be a tad flatter on acceleration between 4.5k - 7k rpm. I've been scratching my head over it and the only thing I can think of (apart from a fault) is my local Tesco filling station is being refurbed so I've been filling up with shell V-power.

Could this cause a difference in performance? Is there a chance that running on a slightly lower RON (or different supplier) could trigger the knock sensors to activate the retarded ignition timing (normal unleaded map) and therefore cause the poorer than normal acceleration?

or has something else happened?

Can't wait to get back on the Tesco super stuff and see.

What's your thought people?

Wouldn't surprise if the place I was using wasn't of the best quality. Will be good to see if dropping back on to Tesco makes any difference. May even go flatter :grin:

:thumb:

Depends on how old the V-Power is from your local station Alex and how much they sell, it goes off quite quickly by all accounts :sad:

I asked my local Tesco how much Momentum 99 they sold as I was having a CEL on the Boxster every now and again when I filled up with V-Power, they said it was 50/50 with regular unleaded, so I use Momentum 99 now :thumb:

The only other thing I think it might be is the variocam solenoids. How would you know if one or both weren't advancing the cam timing at the higher rev range?

You can operate them useing a tester on the drive links setting and hear the engine note change .

I would have thought if one or more was faulty you would have fault codes or a more obvious running fault though.

A little flat .. hmm .. i read about the fuel and was watching to see if it was that .. if you are back to your normal fuel then perhaps air mass sensor ?

That tends to have one of the more obvious running faults for a small deviation in readings and will not generate a fault code unless totally knackered .

Kurlykris said....

"Depends on how old the V-Power is from your local station Alex and how much they sell, it goes off quite quickly by all accounts"

What is meant by "goes off" ? I presume the V-Power has an additive?? so what can go off or change after a period of time? any thoughts, thanks.

JohnH

Alex
Any change with this?

Have you stuck some fresh v power in, disconnected battery for 20mins and then gone for a good blast using WOT so adaption values are reset?

:?:

If "Any petrol goes off over time" how long?

Does that mean when I park my car up for winter, say 3 months, I shouldn't fill it up with fuel for fear of it "going off", or does it take longer?
If longer then surely it will be sold by garages before it goes off??

In a full, sealed air tight container it might well be fine for a couple of years.

In a vented forecourt tank, or your petrol tank it will be well past its best after a month or two. It oxides with the air like food does and absorbs moisture.

I would be getting the tank empty before storing the car for three months, the super unleaded might already be a month old on the forecourt!

I always aim for busy petrol stations with a few super unleaded pumps, not one lonely unused pump hidden in the corner.

Harv said:
Alex
Any change with this?

Have you stuck some fresh v power in, disconnected battery for 20mins and then gone for a good blast using WOT so adaption values are reset?

:?:

Still 3/4 of a tank in so it'll be a week or so before I put any fresh in. Will clearing the memory using my code reader reset the ignition map? I would've hought it would do. :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back