Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

lower suspension

oneonealpha

Silverstone
My car is a gen 2 C4 and I want to lower the suspension for no other reason than I prefer the lowered look. The car has covered 83,000 miles and as far as I can tell is still on the original suspension, I have no issues with the car. But, I have never driven another 996 with refurbed suspension and so I dont know how good or bad mine is, what info I have gleaned is that the shocks are probably shot by now, if this is the case and I need to renew the shocks can I just put on standard shocks with the lowered suspension.
The car is a daily driver and will not be going onto a track so don't need to go down the track focused route.

There are various variation you can chose with lowering your 996, either going for 10mm lower or 30mm lower and also your shock may not be as bad as you think so you might just consider changing the springs.

I lowered mine -30mm just on H&R springs a few years ago because I wanted the lower look, my shocks were still fine so I left them in place. I had them tested again by CG around 85k miles and still were OK. I did eventually change my shocks for Bilstein B6 at 100k miles and when I removed the old ones they were still in good condition.

The Bilstein B6's (Bilstein's are supplied from the factory) are for a standard ride height car but they can also be used with a drop of upto 40mm if required so these will be fine if you do want to change the shocks. These are currently £278 a set.

I fitted my Eibach springs at 92k miles, shocks were fine so they just got a rub down and lick of paint, car looks and handles great, i've not had any issues but if you go -30mm and have any killer speed bumps round your way then you'll want to be careful going over them :thumb:

H&R and Eibach are both premium brands, I got my Eibach springs for a great price from ebay.de :)

I lowered mine on Techart springs a bit more money and are made by Eibach but to a different spec and lower less than Eibech the ride quality is almost the same as stock. best to have a look at your arch gap and decide what you want to drop it by and if you want subtle or slammed. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back