Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 mover

First post here, though I have been in the shadows, learning, while plotting / planning my first Porsche.

I love the 991. It has been the first Porsche I have have really lusted after for a very long time. I dithered and faffed around for way too long before taking the plunge but I picked up a 991.1 C2S Auto two months ago and it is everything I hoped for and more.

I have spent no more than 15 minutes in a 997 and so can offer no useful perspective as regards the difference between the two. One point to make though.....

If you go PDK I strongly recommend Sports Chrono. It was not something I sought; it just happened to be on the car I found and tbh I didn't expect to use it much. In practice though, I hit the sports plus button whenever there's a safe opportunity. Subjective, of course, but to me sports plus mode transforms the car; the engine stays on cam, power delivery is instantaneous and the chassis just comes to life. I wouldn't like to be without it now.

ETA: If I have the hang of this forum thingy, there's a gratuitous picture below.

Attachments

• img_3539_831.jpg
    img_3539_831.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 8,210
Very sharp looking car, colour and wheel combo works really well. Just as my 991/981 desire was moderating a little, you make a post like that! :wink:

MJA911 said:
..................... Just as my 991/981 desire was moderating a little, you make a post like that! :wink:

I had a similar issue this morning. :mrgreen:

I sympathise Terry :D

Re: I've stopped dreaming about my next 911.

T8 said:
Purely by coincidence I wrote the following exactly a year ago today.

T8 said:
I had an excellent day at the Silverstone Porsche Experience Centre last week driving a 991.2S. In addition to getting some invaluable driver training nearly 2 hours in the driving seat gave me a great chance to thoroughly assess what I had thought would be my next 911 and the 150 mile drive each way in my current car proved to be a useful back-to-back comparison session.

I chose to forego the 0-60 and back to 0 opportunity that many experienced and spent extra time on the superb handling circuit, kick-plate and ice-hill. The opportunity to find how what happens to a 911 on black ice - with and without the different levels of PSM - was incredible and this bit, more than any other, I'd seriously recommend to anyone planning to drive their car all year round.

The 991S performed fantastically on the handling circuit and was a real joy to drive but it came across as a whole different car to any 996 or 997 I'd driven before but the traction and push from the rear made it clear that this is still undeniably a true 911 and a proper sports car. On the short test track where maximum speeds attainable are only c80 mph the car itself didn't feel any different to the 991.1S I'd driven previously. The power delivery was so linear that I certainly wouldn't have realised I was driving a Turbo and the interior was so similar to every 981/991 I'd driven before that I could have been driving any of them. As a car to drive regularly I'm convinced that any 981/991 would be superb and I doubt that the move to smaller capacity turbo-charged engines will put off buyers of new cars. I'm equally certain however that it'll be the last normally aspirated cars that will become the most sought after by enthusiasts.

Jumping back into my own car the mid-noughties style of the interior was significant. I've always thought of the pre-996 dash layouts as being ancient and that the 996/997 gave a nice blend of classic v modern. In reality, compared to a 991 they all just look 'old'. That's not a criticism but it is a fact. Many will prefer the pre-2012 look, and it probably suits the character of those cars, but it would definitely put me off buying a late 997 over an early 991 if prices were similar.

At the moment however all 981/991 cars are still significantly more expensive to buy than their equivalent predecessors and that is enough to reinforce my intention to 'stick' for at least another 12 months. With any luck a combination of holding values of the 997T and depreciation of an early 991C4S will mean that the 'cost to change' will get less.

More importantly, as a car to drive occasionally - as I do - the 997T remains special. The frustration of not being able to 'stretch her legs' very often is probably no different to what I would experience in any other 911 and the 21 mpg average when only doing 6k miles a year is palatable. My drive home from Silverstone underlined my thoughts that, whilst a Turbo can be driven like a Carrera, when conditions allow a Carrera can't perform like a Turbo.

I've always been one to think of my next car, often soon after I've just bought a current one, but sometimes there comes a time when those thoughts can be comfortably put on hold for a while.

That's where I am now.:)

:cloud9:

One year/ 6k miles/ 2 EuroTrips later I still love my 997T BUT I'm really disappointed that the 'cost to change' from my car to a 9914S is still so massive. Mine hasn't gone down in value but it's only early 2wd non-S 991 cars that have fallen in price significantly in the last 12 months.

I'll enjoy 2017 but in my heart I am already thinking 'Roll on 2018'.

T8, I could've written your post myself!

I've been hankering for a 991 C4S for a year as well. I never had this much trouble upgrading my 997 4S to a 997 Turbo.

My worry is that by the time a 991 4S drops to my ideal price my Turbo will have dropped more! The devil in me thinks, just spend the 20k now it won't lose that much........!

(My 997.1 Turbo is currently worth about 4-6k more than I paid 4 years ago judging by AT etc).

Sarllm said:
I'll enjoy 2017 but in my heart I am already thinking 'Roll on 2018'.

T8, I could've written your post myself!

I've been hankering for a 991 C4S for a year as well. I never had this much trouble upgrading my 997 4S to a 997 Turbo.

My worry is that by the time a 991 4S drops to my ideal price my Turbo will have dropped more! The devil in me thinks, just spend the 20k now it won't lose that much........!

[/quote]

Like I said ....... I'm happy to wait so we can do a deal. Let your devil have his way and buy a car now. We'll choose it together and in 2 years time I'll buy it off you. :wink:

[/b]
[/quote]

Like I said ....... I'm happy to wait so we can do a deal. Let your devil have his way and buy a car now. We'll choose it together and in 2 years time I'll buy it off you. :wink:[/quote]

Ha! Good idea.............. :lol:

It is amazing though....6 years ago I brought a 5 year old 997 4S for £33k. 3 years later I brought a 6 year old 997.1 Turbo for £43k. Comparative prices now are pretty much double!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back