Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road Trip to Monaco in the 'GT2RS' (on trip adding photos)

isysman

OK Gents hoping to get some help here.

I'm planning my first proper road trip in August in the 911. I'm having some final work done on it in July and then August I'm hoping to drive to Monaco with my lady friend.

I'm trying to find any car events (cars & Coffee etc) that might be on in the area, but not having much luck right now. Anyone have any ideas of websites where I can look?

Also if you have any other advice about things I should do to prepare or places I should visit that would be good. My lady friend wants to visit some other places as well so we are trying to figure out some places not too far away from Monaco (say 3-4 hours max)

We are planning to stop half way or so to break up the trip down so I was thinking Reims, anyone got any other ideas?

Can't really help with events, but on the way there, do take in the col de Vence. Cracking road across from the route Napoleon, but without the traffic and more spectacular.

Check if club911med are up to anything over that period. Will write some suggestions up over the weekend.

:thumbs:

alex yates said:
Check if club911med are up to anything over that period. Will write some suggestions up over the weekend.

:thumbs:

Sweet that would be appreciated.

Last few times I've done it in a oner each way from Blackburn, but if I do a stop over, always St Quentin (about 60 miles north of Reims). Nice little town with easy access from the auto-route and a square with restaurants and bars around it. I find it's a nice halfway (timewise, not distance) stop as once you've travelled down through the UK, it's tedious enough to deserve a break. It's around a 9hr drive down to the riviera from there or an hour or so longer if you come off the auto-routes for some scenic action.

With regards to the auto-routes, deffo worth getting a sanef tag in your car so you can drive right through the tolls without stopping (they bill your credit card when you get home). Saves loads of time, especially when going down in the most hideous month of the year:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

That reminds me - don't forget to read up on the new law that came into place last week about emissions and city driving (Paris & Lyon). Not displaying a sticker means a hefty fine:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Coming down I now like to cut off the main route just before Lyon (which can be a pain to drive through) and head across to Grenoble and drop down the A51 onto the D1075 down to Sisteron. Fantastic road and scenery as seen here:

You also have the option of heading down the route Napoleon instead. Not done that but many say it's another great route, although I'm led to believe it can be a bit more 'busy' and more regulated by the police.

Once down there, you have loads of inland places that are a blast in the car, like the legendary Verdon Gorge. Get up there early to avoid tourist disappointment. Can get a bit busy in the afternoon.

As you'll probably know, most places along the coast are worth a visit: St Tropez, Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche-sur-mer, Monaco & Menton. If you do go St Tropez during the day, Pampelonne beach for lunch is a must.

The problem down there is so much to see in so little time......and personally - I've not gone down in August for around 7 years now due to the hideousness of traffic and holiday goers from every part of Europe.

Here's my write-up from last time I went down in the car:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106094

and a couple of websites that might have a couple of things on:

https://www.mediterranee-porscheclub.fr/

http://www.happyfewracing.com/

I did one of the Happy Few Racing events a few years ago with Total911 mag and it was a great event, very well organised and the people are really nice. Its not a cheap event but worth it if the timing is right for you.

As you probably know there are loads of great roads once you get south of Lyon and there are a few places you can show your lady that she will fall in love with. Annecy, East of Lyon, is one place you could visit and there are some great roads heading to the Cote d'Azur from there.

alex yates said:
Last few times I've done it in a oner each way from Blackburn, but if I do a stop over, always St Quentin (about 60 miles north of Reims). Nice little town with easy access from the auto-route and a square with restaurants and bars around it. I find it's a nice halfway (timewise, not distance) stop as once you've travelled down through the UK, it's tedious enough to deserve a break. It's around a 9hr drive down to the riviera from there or an hour or so longer if you come off the auto-routes for some scenic action.

With regards to the auto-routes, deffo worth getting a sanef tag in your car so you can drive right through the tolls without stopping (they bill your credit card when you get home). Saves loads of time, especially when going down in the most hideous month of the year:

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

That reminds me - don't forget to read up on the new law that came into place last week about emissions and city driving (Paris & Lyon). Not displaying a sticker means a hefty fine:

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Coming down I now like to cut off the main route just before Lyon (which can be a pain to drive through) and head across to Grenoble and drop down the A51 onto the D1075 down to Sisteron. Fantastic road and scenery as seen here:

You also have the option of heading down the route Napoleon instead. Not done that but many say it's another great route, although I'm led to believe it can be a bit more 'busy' and more regulated by the police.

Once down there, you have loads of inland places that are a blast in the car, like the legendary Verdon Gorge. Get up there early to avoid tourist disappointment. Can get a bit busy in the afternoon.

As you'll probably know, most places along the coast are worth a visit: St Tropez, Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche-sur-mer, Monaco & Menton. If you do go St Tropez during the day, Pampelonne beach for lunch is a must.

The problem down there is so much to see in so little time......and personally - I've not gone down in August for around 7 years now due to the hideousness of traffic and holiday goers from every part of Europe.

Here's my write-up from last time I went down in the car:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106094

and a couple of websites that might have a couple of things on:

https://www.mediterranee-porscheclub.fr/

http://www.happyfewracing.com/

This is great thank you for taking the time to write it. I'll go through it again when I get an hour to rest. I watched the last video, beautiful scenery I can't wait to see some of this.

You know I didn't even think about how busy it will be in August, what a plonker I am. I've arranged my leave to have July and August off and my car is getting work done all through July so it leaves me only with August to make the trip. Hmm maybe end of August? Haha sure it will be empty then.

Yeah, later into August does seem to quiten off. The French have the whole of August off.

I popped down a couple of years ago and took an alternative route in that we went down on the ferry to Santandar (~24 hours). I would highly recommend that as an alternative. The north of Spain was fabulous and once into France we were both fresh and able to make the most of the south coast.

Saint Tropez was good for a night out although very expensive and hotels were busy even in September when we were there. Route Napoleon and Stelvio pass are a must.

Lastly be careful in the southern French towns as many of the coastal bits had speed ramps. No good if you are low slung.

Enjoy it.

Pip

Pip1968 said:
I popped down a couple of years ago and took an alternative route in that we went down on the ferry to Santandar (~24 hours). I would highly recommend that as an alternative. The north of Spain was fabulous and once into France we were both fresh and able to make the most of the south coast.

Saint Tropez was good for a night out although very expensive and hotels were busy even in September when we were there. Route Napoleon and Stelvio pass are a must.

Lastly be careful in the southern French towns as many of the coastal bits had speed ramps. No good if you are low slung.

Enjoy it.

Pip

This may be an option. My lady friend is Peruvian and was hinting at time in Spain. She's also ex cruise ship crew so she'd like being at sea again.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I was going to say WTF but shall not bother it looks like its going to happen :hand:

Phil 997 said:
isysman said:
alex yates said:
:eek:

Have I really just read that?

Must have been a typo :dont know:

do they still have port holes on cruise liners :?: :dont know: :floor: :floor:
Isys you going to do one of your epic vids of the key parts of the trip mate.
not necessarily the part mentioned by Norfolk & Idea, I was thinking more the route and some of those driving roads. etc. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yeah that's the plan, although I'm not sure how much filming I can get done with her sitting on the car with me. I said I wanted a day in Monaco to go filming which she's OK with.

Hi just speaking to a friend and he was stopped only 10 mins after leaving the tunnel by the friendly helpful French police and they asked to see his high vis jacket which he had ready to hand, they said he needed 1 jacket for every seat in the car regardless of how many people were in it, I ve not heard this one and let's be fair who is in a good position to argue with them when there stood there in there big boots and guns. He got let of but told that he needed 1 per seat .

JohnW997 said:
Hi just speaking to a friend and he was stopped only 10 mins after leaving the tunnel by the friendly helpful French police and they asked to see his high vis jacket which he had ready to hand, they said he needed 1 jacket for every seat in the car regardless of how many people were in it, I ve not heard this one and let's be fair who is in a good position to argue with them when there stood there in there big boots and guns. He got let of but told that he needed 1 per seat .

They are so ridiculous. Luckily I have only two seats, so I'll make sure I get one each. Thanks for the heads up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back