Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

ELA said:
I shall be bringing the car over to Blighty to make its UK debut at 'Simply Porsche' Beaulieu in June. If you would like to have a closer look prior to this, I will be staying a few days in Essex before heading on down to Beaulieu so would be happy to show fellow enthusiasts around the car. My plan is to come over on the 31st May, then head back home on the 5th June. I will be staying near Southend.

Essex you say !! My neck of the woods :grin:
Then obviously I'm going to Beaulieu, likely going down night before like last 2 years ... I feel a plan coming on :thumbs:

Sound good to me Guy, keep me informed ;)

Since being back on the road, the car has been tested everyday, lots of little issues here and there ironed out and slowly getting there.
A few scenic pics taken along the way (excuse the filthy car in the way :) some of the tracks were a bit dusty )

Looking good!
I have a second pride & joy as well as my 996. It's a Vans RV-8 based just outside Farnham, which happens to be on the way to Beaulieu. Perhaps you might be interested in swapping a go in mine for a go in yours?

Six litres of Lycoming's finest and a VP prop. It's a little fighter.

Martin996RSR said:
Looking good!
I have a second pride & joy as well as my 996. It's a Vans RV-8 based just outside Farnham, which happens to be on the way to Beaulieu. Perhaps you might be interested in swapping a go in mine for a go in yours?

Six litres of Lycoming's finest and a VP prop. It's a little fighter.

I'll have to admit, I'm no aero-sexual Martin and had to look up what it was :grin:
It is a very kind offer and if it works out ok for you then I will gladly oblige, but I am more than happy to let you go in mine regardless :thumb:

Today I will hopefully finish the last real PITA job on the car (the remaining parts should be plain sailing from here on after these).
The carbon door cards came with pre-cut holes which don't line up with anything. Also I will have to utilise a different handle and door pull mechanism. I ordered some Porsche 944 inner door handles and have managed to modify the existing door pull cable to get them working. Still not sure on door pull yet. Getting the panel to line up with the handle is also a bit tricky so it will end up being a bit of a bodge to some degree. Worse case scenario, I can always fit the stock door cards back on, it would just mean a 5kg penalty

Still looking great Rich.

Can you not rig up some sort of fabric 964RS style pulls?
Not sure if that would make things easier or harder to sort mind. :?:

Either way I'm sure you'll come up with a neat solution.

PS. Acceleration looks "lively" to say the least. Good work!

Marky911 said:
Still looking great Rich.

Can you not rig up some sort of fabric 964RS style pulls?
Not sure if that would make things easier or harder to sort mind. :?:

Either way I'm sure you'll come up with a neat solution.

PS. Acceleration looks "lively" to say the least. Good work!

Thanks Marky, if truth be told, I've had a nightmare weekend, was on the car from 08:00-22:00 sat and 09:00-18:00 sun whilst it was 25.C here; a few unforeseen issues that need sorting, all part of the fun I guess :(

Well I've come up with a solution for the doors. Not perfect but they are at least on. Also had a letter arrive on Saturday. The postman handed it over with a smile mentioning it is the right stamp for me :)

Here are a few pics giving an indication as to how the doors were fitted

I'm sure you must have considered manual windows to save a little more weight. Can you say why you didn't go with them? Too much of a faff vs weight saved, or just something to develop in the future?

oh my oh my. those doors and door cards look epic Richard. jesus that is sth else. the interior looks like a great place to be. I love the red RS fabric pulls too. nice touch.

can't wait to see the finished product and hopefully see in flesh and hear too.

top top work as ever!!

Martin996RSR said:
I'm sure you must have considered manual windows to save a little more weight. Can you say why you didn't go with them? Too much of a faff vs weight saved, or just something to develop in the future?

No 996 (or 986) was ever offered with keep fit windows, so to do that the entire mechanism would have to be developed and engineered from scratch. There wouldn't be any mounting support in the door design either and since ELA has opted for carbon doors and cards then there would surely be far too much potential flex in the system for a winder to be mounted to permit an effective and consistently aligned mechanism wouldn't there? I'd be surprised if the weight of a window motor would justify going to such lengths?

Meanwhile another question : are the carbon door cards ultimately going to invest a few grammes in pockets or nets to provide a bit of extra storage? The 996.1 isn't exactly brimming with places to put things at the best of times...

Disco said:
Martin996RSR said:

No 996 (or 986) was ever offered with keep fit windows, so to do that the entire mechanism would have to be developed and engineered from scratch. There wouldn't be any mounting support in the door design either and since ELA has opted for carbon doors and cards then there would surely be far too much potential flex in the system for a winder to be mounted to permit an effective and consistently aligned mechanism wouldn't there? I'd be surprised if the weight of a window motor would justify going to such lengths?

Meanwhile another question : are the carbon door cards ultimately going to invest a few grammes in pockets or nets to provide a bit of extra storage? The 996.1 isn't exactly brimming with places to put things at the best of times...

The electric mechanism simply isn't that heavy plus the great advise from Disco. Even if I went to the trouble of going down this route, I doubt there would even be 0.5kg saved per door. But the main reason is I always wanted the car to function on as close to an OEM level as possible. Going all Neanderthal with window winders, kind of defeats this objective :)

Great thinking Disco ref door bins, see the end of page 23 for your answer and also the video at the top of page 24. In coming up with this solution it, pretty much recovers all the storage space lost with my carbon door cards ;)

BHZ661 said:
Stunning work as ever :thumbs:

NLW73 said:
oh my oh my. those doors and door cards look epic Richard. jesus that is sth else. the interior looks like a great place to be. I love the red RS fabric pulls too. nice touch.

can't wait to see the finished product and hopefully see in flesh and hear too.

top top work as ever!!

Thanks guys

NLW73, I'll be over in the UK with the car at the end of May so hopefully I'll be able to meet you at the 'Simply Porsche' event
:thumb:

pefect. hoping to be heading down there with the GT3.

are you doing the martini or other decals before then?

loving all that carbon!

Is it a lot louder now inside the car with those doors?

Surely remote solenoids to pop the doors open and keep that carbon interior door skin looking clean?!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back