Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Evaporator?

madge

Montreal
Bit of advice, if possible, please chaps.

I have the car booked in for an air-con component refresh later this month which, of course, includes the dreaded evaporator (ouch!). Bearing in mind the ten hours labour involved which unit should I be looking to have fitted in order to avoid having to do it all again in a couple of years?

I have had a quick look at online parts suppliers and naturally the Porsche item is more than double the price of the other 'OEM' units by Behr and NRF. I'm inclined to not take much of a chance on this due to the labour involved but don't want to pay through the nose if it's not really necessary.

Is the Porsche item just subject to the usual "Porsche Tax" or do you really "get what you pay for" in this instance? :dont know:

Thanks in advance.

madge said:
Bit of advice, if possible, please chaps.

I have the car booked in for an air-con component refresh later this month which, of course, includes the dreaded evaporator (ouch!). Bearing in mind the ten hours labour involved which unit should I be looking to have fitted in order to avoid having to do it all again in a couple of years?

I have had a quick look at online parts suppliers and naturally the Porsche item is more than double the price of the other 'OEM' units by Behr and NRF. I'm inclined to not take much of a chance on this due to the labour involved but don't want to pay through the nose if it's not really necessary.

Is the Porsche item just subject to the usual "Porsche Tax" or do you really "get what you pay for" in this instance? :dont know:

Thanks in advance.

never heard of the evaporator but have heard of the desiccator (I have a spare in the garage) I will let somebody else come in here because i might have got the wrong end of the stick, but I replace the entire air con system including desiccator in about 4 hours, perhaps even a little less?

Is this the part you are talking about? If so I picked these up for less than £20, I replaced mine some 2 years ago with a behr unit the same as the one in the pic and it has been absolutely fine :)

planning this job myself later in the year - my a/c compressor went last summer and after a bit of investigation it seems "inadvisable" to put a nice fresh compressor into the system without replacing at least the dryer and expansion valve (which is on the evaporator)...so it looks like I might be in for the same big job.

I've been collecting parts for the job. I think I'll be going OEM for the evaporator and expansion valve and rest of bits and bobs. I've had the compressor re-manufactured and the only non OEM part I'll use is probably the condensor which most likely will be NRF.

I have had recent problems (failure after just a couple of years) with a Behr condensor, and according to my independent their supplier told them they'd had a number of similar failures. It seems Behr quality is not what it used to be.

I used an NRF unit when I replaced the evaporator and so far it's been fine, although that's only been a year or so. Similarly when the old condensor was replaced the Indie's supplier recommended an NRF unit.

Thanks, that's interesting to hear. The NRF unit is by far the lowest priced. :?:

You should be able to pick one up for c£70 :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back