Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Well done, Richard!

If you do come to the UK, let us know early, as I'm sure quite a few of us will be very interested in how she drives!

:thumbs: :puh:

Thanks gents :thumb:

I am thinking of coming over to the UK for the Simply Porsche event which is early June.
Anyway today was finally the day :)
Had it geo'd then out for a test drive. I am still shaking now. It is ballistic but I was kind of expecting that, the funny thing is this wasn't what impressed me the most. The compliance from the suspension set-up was totally overwhelming. It is just so smooth yet razor sharp. It just boggled my mind, as I expected really harsh and hard; what with rose jointed everything, coilovers... I was just totally blown away with how it gilded along some really bumpy roads like a Mercedes would.
Another big surprise was the exhaust. It is much quieter than the previous system at idle and normal road speeds but open the taps and she screams like a Mezger, it really is a very clever bit of kit and the real icing on cake.

As I type this now, I am kind of surprised that I haven't mentioned the steering yet. It just didn't overtake proceeding like it had previously. So much was going on that I really had overlooked this aspect of the car.
I have already made 3 suspension adjustments this afternoon since the geo and need to fine tune a couple of other small things but so far it is totally shocking! :eek: It'll be so good to drive it to work tomorrow, something I have not done for so long now (the roads to get there are fantastic :D

Here's a few pics of todays antics starting with fitting the new ARB drop-links:

:worship:

Your mates on here are almost as excited as you are :grin:

It's like when a friend announces she is pregnant , and you're waiting 9 months to meet the baby :floor:

Congratulations!

That car looks really special. Glad to hear it drives as good as it looks :)

Awesome! The car looks stunning. Those wheels. :worship:

Glad you've made your deadline. Looks like a lovely place you live in.

Have you got a lot of negative camber on those front wheels? or is it just the pics?

Marky911 said:
Awesome! The car looks stunning. Those wheels. :worship:
Glad you've made your deadline. Looks like a lovely place you live in.

Thanks Marky :thumb: There is still a fair way to go though but I'm at it everyday now with all the fine tuning, tests and adjustments.
I'm very lucky to live here in the Moselle Valley, the driving roads are incredible ;)

BenC said:
Have you got a lot of negative camber on those front wheels? or is it just the pics?

Hi Ben, there is slightly more on the front but not a great deal (-2deg front and a quarter of a degree less on the rear). It is probably the rake angle in that picture which makes it look that way. I have since raised the front end 10mm

I did a little acceleration test this morning. This was a bit spontaneous and not planned at all, so you will have to forgive the TC kicking in slowing down proceeding between first and second, also doing all this one handed is less than ideal, but it should give some indication as to current straight line performance. This is still running the base OEM map and it was a very gentle launch (mechanical sympathy/or me being a big Jessie, the choice is yours):
video

JESUS!
that is rapid :)

ELA said:
I did a little acceleration test this morning. This was a bit spontaneous and not planned at all, so you will have to forgive the TC kicking in slowing down proceeding between first and second, also doing all this one handed is less than ideal, but it should give some indication as to current straight line performance. This is still running the base OEM map and it was a very gentle launch (mechanical sympathy/or me being a big Jessie, the choice is yours):
video

:thumb:

Nine seconds to get to 100kph really isn't all that special. - This is what crossed my mind when watching the video in small format first. I naturally assumed the speedo had been set to KPH seeing as it was being driven in Germany.

I then watched it in a larger format. MPH baby! After much tooing and froing with the play bar I figured this was 0-60 MPH in 4.5 seconds. Clearly a more aggressive initial launch and then feathering the throttle just so at the right time to avoid wheelspin, this has a shot at going below 4 seconds.

This is really pretty special! Well done sir, now please please bring it back to Blighty and show us!

I shall be bringing the car over to Blighty to make its UK debut at 'Simply Porsche' Beaulieu in June. If you would like to have a closer look prior to this, I will be staying a few days in Essex before heading on down to Beaulieu so would be happy to show fellow enthusiasts around the car. My plan is to come over on the 31st May, then head back home on the 5th June. I will be staying near Southend.

Regarding the video Martin, I was filming with one hand and steering/changing gear with the other. It was also just a normal start, (as you would pull away from a junction) no build up to 4k then side-stepping of the clutch... As I was filming I didn't really optimise gear changes...
Feck me that's some amount of excuses already :grin:
Anyway suffice to say, I agree with you, given better prep and switching TC off, it would put in a good time for a lowly 996 C2. Also a good indication of the way she pulls is the fact it's running CUP2's and managed to wheel spin in perfect conditions between 1st and 2nd. Funny thing is this isn't the area where the car is suppose to shine. The 20mins before this up the Moselle valley to work, was where the magic really was. Still all a bit scary at the moment though so am taking it relatively easy ;)

996 Turbo performance from a Carrera :worship:

And to think I had problems keeping up with you before you started the mods. :eek:

See you on the 30th. :thumb:

T8 said:
996 Turbo performance from a Carrera :worship:

And to think I had problems keeping up with you before you started the mods. :eek:

See you on the 30th. :thumb:

Lovely picture Terry, mine is now like the love child from your pic :grin:
Not being picky but a 996TT would need around 477BHP to have the same bhp/ton :D
Don't worry I've already given myself a :wack: on your behalf for being a pedantic t055er
See you soon :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back