Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 1998 Boxster 2.5 project begins...

Today I fitted my new condensers, it took 1 hour start to finish and then I took it to kwik fit to be regassed. :thumbs:

Did you change your drier too? I never have done and my mechanic reckons you don't need to in the UK (with our climate). Wondered whether it's worth it or not. Mine needs regassing once I sort my leak on my front to rear pipe.

alex yates said:
Did you change your drier too? I never have done and my mechanic reckons you don't need to in the UK (with our climate). Wondered whether it's worth it or not. Mine needs regassing once I sort my leak on my front to rear pipe.

I never have either Alex. I bet mine (boxster) is on its original drier (MY2000 144k miles) and is working just fine! 8)

Got an interesting issue with the boxster hood at the moment. When I press the switch the motor whirrs, then stops, then whirrs, then stops. Looks like the roof is doing a jerky dance when it closes... Everything is lubed and smooth but its clearly an electrical issue.

Going to try a new switch first and then go through the relays/wiring if that doesn't fix it (i know, i should do this before shelling out on a new switch but I'm a betting man...)

Great thread and good work on the condensers, I'm about to change mine on the turbo and DIY. Where did you source yours from? Also, I take it you just unscrew, replace and screw back up with new o rings? Did you have to release old gas from anywhere or do any other prep.

Cheers

NH

The eBay link is posted above.

alex yates said:
The eBay link is posted above.

Good spot cheers Alex - didn't see that, think I'll also make the most of Kwik Fits re-gas policy too, sounds like a no brainier. :thumb:

alex yates said:
No I didn't bother and it's icy cold.

I did wonder whether it's possible to pressurise a leaky system with a bike track pump and search for leaks at the joints with a soapy solution?

NickHappy said:
Great thread and good work on the condensers, I'm about to change mine on the turbo and DIY. Where did you source yours from? Also, I take it you just unscrew, replace and screw back up with new o rings? Did you have to release old gas from anywhere or do any other prep.

Cheers

NH
The gas had leaked from the Condenser as you can see from the dye stains in the picture so when I released the union there was no gas to leak.A very straightforward diy job.

This is the tour plaque that we have designed for the upcoming Euro tour. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

kas750 said:
This is the tour plaque that we have designed for the upcoming Euro tour. :thumbs:
Great tour plaque,
who is producing them/how do I get one?
I'm part of the 'Ghent squadron'
Thanks

diverzeusy said:
kas750 said:
Great tour plaque,
Thanks
Although our small group will hopefully be seeing you guys at Dinslaken we are not part of the official gathering from 911UK.The plaques are part of a run of 10 which have already been allocated I think. :thumb:

diverzeusy said:
Great tour plaque,
Thanks

Participants in the 'official gathering' will be getting two of these each.

The Porsche works team will be in its usual place at Dinslaken.
Pop over and say hello. :thumbs:

Today I took my car to have the wheels balanced and the geometry checked at kwik fit.
On raising the car on the ramp it became obvious what the clunking sound was when I jacked the car up to fit the condensers last week..
The rear anti roll bar had snapped.

So the geometry check was stopped and a quick call to Steve strange at Douglas valley breakers secured a mint low mile roll bar and bushes for £40.
30 minutes later and I was home with my new anti roll bar and the car was in the air and the old bar was removed.
There are advisories from Cath Burrows advising of a rusty anti roll bar and worn bushes but I didn't quite realise how bad it was.

The new bar was fitted in about 20 minutes with no seized bolt trauma to deal with!

And then for a quick test drive and a big change to how the car grips and turns.Its scalpel sharp in the bends.
I now need to return to kwik fit and get them to reset the geometry.
All in it was a quick,cheap job with pleasing results..
Oh and the air con is still blowing ice cold. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back