Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

This reminds me - what is this rubber thing called?

Mine is borked and I need to buy a new one, but I don't know what it's called:

Attachments

• whatsthisthing_687.png
    whatsthisthing_687.png
    643.1 KB · Views: 4,574
Looking fantastic! Keep going, keep going!
My car would be the perfect UK based demo car :)

Hi ELA. Amazing work, thank s for posting. One question please. How are you going to protect the rose joints etc. from rapid wear due to the dust and dirt that coats up the suspension? They do seem very vulnerable.

Dammit said:
This reminds me - what is this rubber thing called?

Mine is borked and I need to buy a new one, but I don't know what it's called:

996 Sealing Bellows Air Cleaner Joint Flange, 996.110.250.52

Hi John. You can assume that ELA will be putting rubber boots on the rose joints. They are commonly available from the rose joint suppliers.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Blimey - nice to see it outside back in the wider world again! :thumbs:

Oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Go Richard!

The front seems a trifle low, presumably to get the rake you need? I guess you'll be having a few goes at settings as the suspension settles. Anyway, what you've acheived is truely special. I can't wait to see it in the flesh. How long until it comes to the UK?

Throttle response :)

BenC said:
I think the car is looking great -
my questions about the suspension and the resulting ride were more from a learning pint of view than a criticism :)

I didn't take it as criticism Ben :thumb: Even if it was I would only see that as I need to up my game and try a little harder next time :)

si77 said:
Looking fantastic! Keep going, keep going!
My car would be the perfect UK based demo car :)

You're on! :thumb:

Martin996RSR said:
Hi John. You can assume that ELA will be putting rubber boots on the rose joints. They are commonly available from the rose joint suppliers.

I made the suspension so that it is simple to replace worn parts. I wasn't going to fit rubber boots, but if the wear due to FOD ingress is as quick as mentioned, then I might just fit them.

Martin996RSR said:
The front seems a trifle low, presumably to get the rake you need? I guess you'll be having a few goes at settings as the suspension settles. Anyway, what you've achieved is truly special. I can't wait to see it in the flesh. How long until it comes to the UK?

I will be having the car geo'd on Monday, I was just desperate to see it sitting on it's own boots. Yes currently running a good bit of Rake angle.
I had a massive problem with the steering the last few days and I was considering some extreme measures to get around the issue like running with no front ARB. The problem was the torsional loading created by the ARB when steering input is >70%. I did lots of geometry calculations and have worked out a solution:

- Redesigned the upper droplink attachment point so that the pick-up sits 17mm further back than stock and by utilising a 4mm spacer on the rear end, will be able to get full articulation around this point. I then extended the drop links by 80mm and moved the lower droplink point outboard 10mm.

These measures have alleviated all the issues I was having. I took the car for a gentle test drive and it is absolutely sublime, I can't believe how good the steering weight is now. I was not going over 20mph, as none of the suspension arms are tightened at present, but it was enough to judge steering weight. I am so happy after all the trouble I have gone through to create this system that it works better than I ever hoped. I have driven a 964RS and I would say it is very similar in weight and feel to that :)

I will try and make it over to a UK debut for that event at Beaulieu, which I think is at the beginning of June.

To all the other lovely messages thanks you guys :worship:

There is still lots to do and a few thing's I'm still not even sure how to sort out yet, but nothing now is a show stopper. The rest is pretty simple by comparison to getting to this point.

:thumb:

It's looking impressive Richard :worship: I'm looking forward to reading how the set up and testing progresses. It's certainly keeping me thinking about options for mine.

As a new 996 owner I have to say this thread is awesome - some fastidious work and I can't wait to see the final results - very very nice :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back