Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil for 993

tyinsky

Suzuka
0w/10w/20w, 40/50/60. Mineral, semi, fully. Mobil, Castro, Shell, Valvoline, Millers, Porsche Classic...

Plenty of threads on this but it also seems opinion changes, and Porsche have their own branded line out (made by someone else, not them) so their opinion on what's best for the 993 must have changed.

Thin stuff makes the engine leak (apparently?). Nano particles reduce wear on older engines? And so on.

Who is using what?

Also interested in how much people use between annual services. I've read different views on this ranging between absolutely nothing to a litre every 600 miles being normal.

[/quote]

Oh goody another oil thread ......... we haven't had one for a while ...... :)

I am using Mobil 1 Super 3000 fully synthetic (5w/40) ......... and have been for the last few years.

My car uses very little oil and sometimes I don't need to top up between services ......... maybe half a litre in four thousand miles.

Mine's had Mobil 10w/40 semi-synthetic put in it the last few times by the servicing independent.

I haven't had it long enough/driven it enough to get to know how much it actually uses yet. I think I did about 1,500 miles in it last 'season' but didn't notice an appreciable change in the oil level.

Semi-Synthetic seems to be the mix of choice in these older engines as recommended by top Independents

:popcorn:

10-40 and an oil with a high ZDDP (zinc) content, most modern oils don't contain enough zinc which causes pitting of cam lobes on these engines.
Millers oil make a good quality synthetic with high ZDDP

Castrol Magnatec 10w40. Only think I've ever needed to top up between services once (but then I only do approx 2-3k per year).

I going to go off piste.

Motul 300V 5W-40 Ester fully synthetic, every six to eight thousand miles / yearly. Lovely stuff, no top ups required.

(Not cheap) :oops:

I've moved to Millers NT 10w50 for the last couple of OPC services (supplied my own). It's a motorsport formula with high zddp apparently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back