Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 2017 'Top Gear' Season 24

I want to like it more than I actually did. The banter bits are awful: too obviously scripted, strained laughter and just trying too hard. The features are beautifully filmed, though the format is just a bit tired after all these years.

I just find it totally boring.

I want to like it and have tried now for a few episodes but it's just not entertaining.

Think it will now be deleted from series link.

Yawn yawn yawn...........

Well: for me it is improving steadily and frankly I preferred last nights to any episode from Clarkson & Co.'s Amazon show. But it isn't there yet. The studio chemistry still has a bit to go but it was better this week.

I wasn't keen on the Nurburgring bit though - giant killing at the 'ring is a function of knowing where you are going for the most part and not the measure of a car (even I once passed a GT2RS, modified Z06 'Vette, F360, F430, E46 M3, E92 M3 and a plethora of other machinery all on the same lap while driving a Suzuki Swift. Does this make the Swift the ultimate 'ring tool? No - I was passed on the following lap by a Skoda Yeti that I subsequently discovered was driven by Dickie Meaden).

Disco said:
Well: for me it is improving steadily and frankly I preferred last nights to any episode from Clarkson & Co.'s Amazon show. But it isn't there yet. The studio chemistry still has a bit to go but it was better this week.

I wasn't keen on the Nurburgring bit though - giant killing at the 'ring is a function of knowing where you are going for the most part and not the measure of a car (even I once passed a GT2RS, modified Z06 'Vette, F360, F430, E46 M3, E92 M3 and a plethora of other machinery all on the same lap while driving a Suzuki Swift. Does this make the Swift the ultimate 'ring tool? No - I was passed on the following lap by a Skoda Yeti that I subsequently discovered was driven by Dickie Meaden).

Agree completely about the Ring piece. Sabine proved a long time ago she could get a van round there faster than Clarkson in a Jag so it's about the driver at that point. Put a racing driver in each of those cars and the Gold would have been towards the back.

^ agree. The only good episode so far - (only had to fast-forward the silly 007 pastiche); the preceding two were mostly drivel.

Sadly the Beeb has restored some balance by making the most tedious episode of Extra Gear yet to go with it. Presented by an unknown 'comedian' with a charisma bypass and an irritating nasal accent.

Cinematography is 1st class. Location shoots work well.

Studio work is car crash!

Le Blanc looks blank. He can't do ad lib.

Harris needs to take a chill pill, aggressive little *****!

Rory just looks like he can't believe he got the gig!

Hopefully, they'll find their feet?

New format works, just feels forced.

Really enjoyed the last episode, all 3 so far have been good. I'm much happier with their dynamic than the previous series.

Also, I'd love to have a lap around the Ring with the Queen!

Harris is great in the car but he still manages to look like a gate-crasher in the studio!

New Ford GT looked great

Studio guest piece is just TOO long - even if Chris Hoy did set a great time

Rory is treated like an outsider and given all the crap jobs to do - Matt and Chris do Dubai/Oman - everyone (apart from Rory) does the USA... it is getting embarrassing the way he is left on the sidelines...

I think it'd be far better if they dumped Matt he is more wooden than a tree!! :frustrated:

I enjoyed last night's TBH with the exception of EJ who I'd just rather not see on my screen ever.

Was really looking forward to the Ford GT piece but it didn't really live up to expectation. Saw the car at Geneva and it is absolutely stunning, not as brash and look at me as a Ferrari and not as boring as a Veyron/Chiron!
They just seem to have lost the edge that old Top Gear had when they did hypercar pieces.

arry said:
I enjoyed last night's TBH with the exception of EJ who I'd just rather not see on my screen ever.

Yep!

It's really good

mikeluke said:
New Ford GT looked great

Studio guest piece is just TOO long - even if Chris Hoy did set a great time

Rory is treated like an outsider and given all the crap jobs to do - Matt and Chris do Dubai/Oman - everyone (apart from Rory) does the USA... it is getting embarrassing the way he is left on the sidelines...

Agreed

I think Rory has been put in as the "normal guy" who reviews cars that us mortals are likely to fancy buying. It's a shame though, as I actually think he comes across as the most enthusiastic of the bunch and I'd love to see how much he'd enjoy a real super car.

I like the studio guest pieces when the Guests have an interest in the cars, I thought last weeks guest was really good at keeping the conversation fluid but still relating to driving... Previous guests who clearly have no passion for cars make me frustrated..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back