Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Alloy wheel insurance-is it a con?

Rayo2703

I own a late 2016 9914S and when I bought it I took out alloy wheel Insurance with QDOS to give myself piece of mind as I was told by Porsche that putting on protectors like Alloygators could affect the warranty. A week ago I clipped the kerb and damaged my rear left wheel. I made a claim online and sent pictures to QDOS. I was flabbergasted when a few days later they rejected the claim on the basis their repairers said the wheel could not be repaired and needed replacing.

This didn't make sense as the damage was superficial and I took my car to Porsche Hatfield yesterday to see what they said. The service department had a look and laughed at this, telling me it could easily be repaired and only cost £150. As QDOS have an excess of £125 I booked my car in and it is being repaired tomorrow.

For a saving of only £25 the alloy Insurance seems to be a waste of time particularly when they do their best to avoid paying out!!!

I told QDOS I am having it repaired and will be sending them the invoice. Let's see if they pay out. It may only be £25 but it is the principle.

So if the wheel is damaged beyond repair doesn't the Insurance cover the cost of a replacement wheel?

I've never had wheel Insurance but I always assumed that you were insuring yourself against the cost of replacing a damaged wheel. Seems like a waste of money otherwise. With an excess that large and such a low threshold for writing-off a wheel I don't see how they will ever have to pay out on a claim. :?

I hope the salesman threw the 'Insurance' in as part of the deal when you bought the car and that you didn't pay for it.

To be fair to QDOS after I sent them evidence Porsche could and had repaired the wheel they confirmed they would pay out and that the £125 was not the excess but the limit of indemnity. The excess is £25 so they are send me £125.

Thats good that it worked out... have occasionally bought tyre/alloy Insurance and to be honest, its worked out in the past and they have paid any claims without issues. The price for these policies fluctuate wildly and have only bought when the cost has been ridiculously low; have definitely saved money overall.

Has anyone bought tyre and wheel cover from their OPC for a 991 or 991.2?

I would be interested in the price - I have been quoted £649 which seems expensive.

Gorsh said:
Has anyone bought tyre and wheel cover from their OPC for a 991 or 991.2?

I would be interested in the price - I have been quoted £649 which seems expensive.

When we bought the wife's XF, I seem to remember a quote of over £700 from the Jag dealership.

.....which is more than the cost to insure the vehicle on the road.!!!

i've used Ala in the past, worked out ok. About £500 for tyre and alloy Insurance for 3 years for a 911 looks like at present, bit more than i've paid before.

You just need to work out the break even amount of claims to establish if it's worthwhile.

I would say that at anything sub-£500 for combined wheel and tyre Insurance isn't too bad, as long as the claim limit covers the cost of a tyre or wheel refurb (most will, just not the cost of a whole wheel). At £500 (a price which these can be negotiated down to) you only need make two claims to break even.

Just make sure it covers diamond cut wheels if you have them, as a lot of policies don't (ALA I think being one that doesn't).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back