Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help on 997.1 door window drop problems

TTW

Hi All, had anyone had an issue where the door window (passenger door, in my case) constantly moves up & down when the door is open? - this obviously prevents the door from closing properly when the glass is in the up position?

I have found a few links online, this one provides a good description of the many micro switches, and what they do:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/217-door-microswitches/

and this one provides a similar issue (towards the foot of the page)
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...3-power-window-problem-door-open-closing.html

Having checked my door, I can confirm
1) the window drops as normal when the outdoor handle is slightly lifted.
2) the window drops as normal when the inside handle is slightly lifted
3) the window remains closed (UP) as normal when the door is closed
4) the mechanical up & down of the window by the switch is normal

5) The ONLY issue is when the door is open, the door glass is UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP, etc.. as if the door doesn't know if it is open or closed?

..the first link above mentions water damage? - currently ahead of reading this, I did partially relate this in my mind to the amount of rain we have had in the UK recently, and consider the issue has got significantly worse these past 2 x wet weeks. (previously it might have jumped up & back down once or twice, whereas last night it was continual)

I am currently at the conclusion the issue is with the 'door latch internal microswitch'? - not sure what this part number is, or whether indeed this is the culprit?

Any help appreciated

Trevor

I have herd of this fault but not yet had a chance to investigate one .

Your links are a mix of 996 / 997 ... the 996 is totally different to a 997 system .

Most faults with the 997 tend to be the control unit which is actually part of the window motor , water ingress or software faults being the norm .

Really all i can suggest is it needs a tester on it to check with the door open what values the control unit is seeing but i think you may well end up haveing to replace or at least swop the control unit to diagnose it .

Trevor
Had this a couple of winters ago.
Sounds like one of the microswitches to me too. Don't think you can buy separately, so likely to be a new lock mechanism required.

Hello,

I have the very same problem at the minute. Sounds almost certainly like the window module is faulty, mines getting replaced on Saturday.

Check the micro switches are doing as they should on the outer and inner handles... there's a little plunger on the inner handle which is easy to test.

Module is quite easy to get too. Remove the door card and it sits in the middle of the door with the motor attached to it. Porsche sell it as a complete unit with the motor... :evil:

costs approx 90 bills for a replacement.

edit;

Just read your original post again....My window is up and down when i'm on the move as well. Best check your door switches as other have said.

just an update on this issue, for anyone having the same problem symptoms..

All Last week (after writing this initial post), the symptoms changes slightly, in that - once (either) door handle was released the window would immediately go back up and stay up. hence the door never realised it was open (this in turn invoked the car locking itself again after about 30 sec, despite the door been open & closed - as by design).

Anyway, despite rushing ahead and purchasing a replacement door latch unit on ebay, I thought I would also try the following to resolve this issue:

1) lightly spray oil/lubricant in & around the door latch mechanism.

Immediately I done this, the window dropped & stayed dropped, and behaved properly for most of the day (with 30-60min tests of opening/closing the door).

The following day however, the symptoms had gone back to the 'Up/Down, Up/Down' (cant decide if door open or not) - as initially reported, so I next done the following...

2) wiped around the visible internals of the door latch with a clean cloth to remove any dirt deposits, etc.
3) Sprayed air (through a straw) in & around the latch mechanism (air duster/tin of air available from any computer store/supermarket)
4) Repeated the light spray of oil/lubricant as in #1 above.

immediately following this the results were vastly improved, with the door window working correctly about 80% of the time. However now 6 days on, the symptoms HAVE NOT returned?!! (touch wood?) - Guess only time will tell, and fortunately I do have a replacement latch to swap out if the symptoms re-occur - however it might be worth others with the same problem giving the above a try, in case it resolves the problem (at least in the short-term?)

Strange and not something i would have guessed at but i suppose the door latch might not be staying in the full open position and so the car is not sure if its open or closed ..

It will be interesting to see if this fixes it , as i said before ive not seen this yet so i might be learning something new here :D

Had the exact same problem, door open, window goes UP/DOWN/UP/DOWN. It got worst progressively. Final stage for me before it was fixed was the window will only go down if you keep the door handle lifted.

The door lock mechanism was changed and problem resolved. Apparently there is a micro switch there that gets worn out in time and you cannot replace just the switch, it is a complete mechanism. Good news is it may be a shared component across VW so price varies depends if you buy VW or Porsche...

It's the black box thing in the 6th photos on this page:

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/32134-door-latch/

Thats the door lock assembly which makes this fault similar to the 996 although on them it doesn,t cause this fault but plenty of other ones.

Control unit on the 997 must interpret the signal of the faulty switch and open/close , where as the 996 just didnt work.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back