Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Grill/Mesh

Jay. said:
wasz said:
Jay. said:
Has anyone cut their own mesh grill? I did this on my last car and it looked great, but haven't seen it done on here yet

Yep, fairly common and easy to do. cheap mesh off ebay and the rads are protected.

Will look into this, £200 for the set off zunsport is a little steep for some mesh! Although the ease of fitting sounds worth it

It would save you about 30 minutes of cutting and fiddling, that is for sure. £170 extra for 30 minutes saved doesn't sound like good value to me though.

MC

Self manufacture much less expensive, I used stainless mesh, difficult to cut and would not accept a coating but looks fine in stainless finish.
Don't think this solves the issue completely, however!
Leaves may not get in but a general mix of grit, sand and mud will accumulate in the bottom corner over time and is not good for the rads in there.
Still a good idea to have the front bumper off occasionally and clean it out properly.

Just looked at the video and you have to 'butcher' the side vents :eek:

ian_alex said:
Self manufacture much less expensive, I used stainless mesh, difficult to cut and would not accept a coating but looks fine in stainless finish.
Don't think this solves the issue completely, however!
Leaves may not get in but a general mix of grit, sand and mud will accumulate in the bottom corner over time and is not good for the rads in there.
Still a good idea to have the front bumper off occasionally and clean it out properly.

I used cheaper, black aluminium sheet of Ebay, easy to cut and form. I screwed it into the back of the bumper with Stainless self tappers, very unobtrusive.

Even after only a few months (since I replaced the aircon condensers) there was a lot of muck but it was mainly leaves etc and the grill will stop that. I certainly agree that it will still need to occasional 'bumper off' clean up.

Jay. said:
Has anyone cut their own mesh grill? I did this on my last car and it looked great, but haven't seen it done on here yet

Yes I did a few years ago: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=94843

dsc09162_164.jpg

dsc09161_179.jpg

dsc09149_804.jpg

dsc09148_170.jpg

dsc09481_754.jpg

dsc09482_282.jpg

Following my earlier post I got motivated to remove the front number this afternoon for the annual clean out and yes there was plenty of dead flies, feathers, grit, even some small leaves or parts thereof, not withstanding the mesh.
Separated the radiator and condenser and plenty of minor rubbish all of which is not helping cooling air flow, so the message is clean it out regularly to keep cooling at optimum efficiency!

Awesome, some great posts here... Thanks for the Gt4 guide link!

I like the mesh around the radiators, but surely they won't do much for impacts of larger stones etc?

Stainless Steel mesh vs. plastic? I know which is the strongest. The mesh is a good few inches away from the rads and bolted in pretty solid. They would stop anything small enough to fit through the bumper aperture.

Been on nearly 3 years now and unmarked. Still look brand new.

I used the £15 black grill material from eBay on my C2:

MC

I also considered that and would deffo use it, but at the time (and still do) preferred the stainless woven mesh look. :thumb:

alex yates said:
Stainless Steel mesh vs. plastic? I know which is the strongest. The mesh is a good few inches away from the rads and bolted in pretty solid. They would stop anything small enough to fit through the bumper aperture.

Been on nearly 3 years now and unmarked. Still look brand new.

That's good, glad it's working!

I think I'll opt to do the black aluminium mesh as I think it looks smart. I do like the Zunsport stuff, it certainly looks better, but I can't justify the extra £175 for something I could essentially make in my garage for less than an hours effort.

should do it for under £30. As stated, the zunsporrt look like something out of that cheesey halfords catalogue they did back in the 80s with body kits and horrendous spoilers.

Hi All,

I have a silver C4S with silver Zunnsport grills. How do I post a picture? I tried the add an attachment bit, but the Preview did not show any picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

paulstevens64 said:
Hi All,

I have a silver C4S with silver Zunnsport grills. How do I post a picture? I tried the add an attachment bit, but the Preview did not show any picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you click "post a reply", below the box you type in is a "Add an Attachment" box, click Choose File and navigate to where you have saved it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back