Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman 987.1 Roof bars and bike rack

Being a lycra lout, I needed to be able to get my P&J around on my P&J. The OEM Porsche bars are expensive and unnecessarily ugly and prominent.

All though according to Thule's website, they don't do a kit for the Cayman. This isn't technically correct, I did a bit of homework and a shop in Exeter came highly recommended on PH forum.

http://www.roofracks-roofboxes.co.uk/

Spoke to a chap called Roland and the customer service was excellent, I was advised by a friendly poster on PH that I could have either the tall foot pack or the short and unlike on the 911, the rear feet didn't need to be taller. So I took a punt on the 753 feet all round with a Thule 'Wingbar Edge'. This is the most aero bar and the nicest looking IMO.

The fitment is very easy and I think once I get the technique locked down, I will be able to go from no bars, to bike installed in under 20 mins.

As you can see from the pics, the black bars sitting so close to the roof is about as easy on the eye as you are going to get it. Used it his weekend for the first time, very impressed indeed, super sturdy, secure enough for small stops. Does affect the handling a bit, not to mention the MPG but this was to be expected.

All in all, would definitely recommend. Please note, the small feet is fine for a bike rack. But the chap on PH said with a kayak for example, he needed the bars to stand more proud of the car, like the OEM set up, so he had the 751 pack.

Attachments

• roof_rack_523.jpg
    roof_rack_523.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,280
  • roof_rack2_759.jpg
    roof_rack2_759.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 2,280
  • roofrack3_113.jpg
    roofrack3_113.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 2,280
Looks good. I did something similar last year but pulled the kit together with second hand parts from eBay. Was quite the talking point when turning up at group rides!

I haven't used it much as I ended up finding it quicker to take the front wheel and seat post off to fit the bike inside.

Thanks! You get all the Thule stuff too?

Let me get this straight, you have your bike in the back of the Cayman?! Wow, I have seen a pic of it done but that person had taken the pedals off. Figured it to be far too much ballache.

In my R32, I used to have the frame upright across the back seat with the bench removed and a double duvet protecting the leather. But this does put wear on the car no natter how good you are.

I actually think, when I get my technique locked down. It will be quicker for me to get the bars and rack up on the Cayman than to remove the seats, break the bike up etc for the R32.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back