Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo manifold nuts tightening

Isoproturon

Monza
I have fitted some new manifolds but have an exhaust blow from the manifold to turbo flange despite using new genuine sealing rings. I just cannot seem to get the nuts tight enough due to poor access. Does anyone have any tips as to how to achieve this without going to a garage?

The issue is not being able to get a socket on the top flange nut due to access, and barely any room to use a spsnner.

I managed to tighten the left hand side turbo in situ with no issues. I was laid on my back with the turbo just above my head, I had to use an open ended spanner tho.

Nothing to suggest really assuming you can't buy a better tool which would fit in, when I renewed the studs and nuts on my car I removed the turbos and manifolds and had plenty of room to tighten them as they were on the bench. It also meant there wasn't anything preventing the manifold and turbo from aligning properly. It was also easy to check the flanges were not distorted.

It might be worth taking the turbos off. I left the catch cans in place so only had to undo the Allen bolts that bolt them to the bottom of the turbo. I cut the feed oil line on the top above the check valve and renewed them which wasn't as bad a job as it sounds.

Are you sure it's just the bolts which are not tight enough rather than something like the flange faces aren't flat or the support bracket or exhaust is stopping them from aligning?

Mac996t said:
Nothing to suggest really assuming you can't buy a better tool which would fit in, when I renewed the studs and nuts on my car I removed the turbos and manifolds and had plenty of room to tighten them as they were on the bench. It also meant there wasn't anything preventing the manifold and turbo from aligning properly. It was also easy to check the flanges were not distorted.

It might be worth taking the turbos off. I left the catch cans in place so only had to undo the Allen bolts that bolt them to the bottom of the turbo. I cut the feed oil line on the top above the check valve and renewed them which wasn't as bad a job as it sounds.

Are you sure it's just the bolts which are not tight enough rather than something like the flange faces aren't flat or the support bracket or exhaust is stopping them from aligning?

I think it might come to that, but I am also wondering if the way they've been made means the flanges won't align. One thing I am sure of, is that I can't torque them up enough at the moment. I am going to try a crow foot spanner and see if that helps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back