Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Defensive parking and keeping a car ding-free

Its a pity you can`t get a Dashcam type camera to record car park damage to your car!

Del.

I agree with Delanor's comment about having an old rust bucket to do the weekly grocery shopping in, albeit we know this is not economically practical.
I once experienced a woman park her car next to mine, she got out and proceeded to put her handbag (with metal studs on the bottom) on the bonnet of my car (not Porsche) and rummage through for something, clearly not seeing me sitting in the drivers seat. A quick blast of the horn shocked her into moving on but not before she'd dragged the offending bag across the paint. My remonstrations to her met with a raft of abusive claiming I had shocked her into falling on to the car.
Some people just don't give a damn about other peoples property.

I truly wish people could be made aware of how these things are important, like throwing litter out of car windows, while driving, with kids in their car....USING INDICATORS .....OK time to stop or I'll run out of ink.... :frustrated:

Driving my Touareg and parking is a lottery, like Alex I look for the quiet part of the car park and hey presto I come back to cars parked either side of me. So I now park in the mother and child slot, if there are plenty free, and just put up with the abuse I get when I come back to the car, it's a small price to pay for having room to open my doors.

And those people who park in the Mother and Toddler spaces.....don't get me started ! .... :grin: :grin: morning Nick.... :grin:

I can confirm these people also work in the OPC I bought my car from :evil:

The little toe-rags there should know better, wonder if they treat 918's with the same level of disrespect as my 911.

Outliar said:
Phil 997 said:
This is good as its magnetic and fixes inside the car to stop it getting knicked

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-STANDARD-Removable-Protection/dp/B000XEFKEE

or this

https://tinyurl.com/mrzpzo9

Great as long as the car is nice and clean, otherwise you'd get scratches putting it on and taking it off?

I think I'll have to design a robot car defender. It'll probably take the whole boot up, weigh a tonne, but it'll move in the way of any car that tries to park next to me. It'll look scary so kids get out the other side. And it'll kick any ding offender in the shins as they get out, and run off. Might need a big legal budget...

Tom, can you get it fitted with a flame thrower if so put me down for one :thumb:

Palladium said:
I park right at the empty end of the supermarket and walk miles to the shop, never park near the trolley dump either.

This doesn`t work either I own an unmarked special edition RX-8 in white and on several occasions i have parked at the far end of a supermarket car park to return to find a car parked either side of it - they obviously think parking next to a nice looking car makes their own look better. :eh!: :dont know:

Del.

Add this to the list: dont park next to 4x4's, the B post is usually further back, meaning they have to open the door further to squeeze out. Oh and they're usually more padding interior thickness which makes it harder to squeeze out. Meaning the spaces provided to park in are not adequate width and occupants rest their doors on vehicles to give maximum squeeze width to exit with. :thumb:

Jay. said:
If you go to the corners of car parks, they typically try and fit in weird parking spots which are usually massive - you can park in the middle of them and quite comfortably open your doors fully. I used these spaces 90% of the time as they're too far away for most people too.

I too have had similar experiences to all of you above.
General rule of thumb is i don't take my Porsche to supermarkets or multi storey car parks unless i know i can find an extra wide bay. (Usually found on the corner of parking spaces).

In addition if i am going out in the car i ensurethere is safe and spacious parking at the destination otherwise i will go in the family car. It's not a chav thing, just careless people who do not value their own car let alone others around them.

Nonetheless the above still doesn't guarantee dings and only last week when i cleaned my car i found a whole bunch of door dings. perplexed as to how they appeared...

:sad:

If you have a plethora of small dinks in the body its supermarket trollies!

Del.

Hmmmm - wonder if Mrs Alam has been taking the car out for a jolly while I've been at work....

:?:

I'm one of those annoying people that parks in the middle of two bays! No car park rash for me! :lol:

MidlifeC2S said:
I'm one of those annoying people that parks in the middle of two bays! No car park rash for me! :lol:

That is NOT annoying, it is WISE... Just don't do it in a mother and child bay!
Strangely I've starting doing exactly that, discreetly that as in going slightly over the lines so it puts others off parking next to me.

:dont know:

Nothing wrong with looking after your precious silver I suppose! :thumb:

Del.

Attachments

• porsche_112.jpg
    porsche_112.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 3,088
  • porsche2_901.jpg
    porsche2_901.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3,088
Fortunately whenever we go to a supermarket or anywhere remotely dodgy - like the zoo with its monkey enclosure, we always take the wifes car.

When I have to park, like others I park at the end of the row at the supermarket, so far away its borderline needing a taxi to get to the store entrance. And yes, when I come back to my car 99% of the time someone else has parked next to me.

The main problem I have is actually on my drive. The wife always seems to park her car so close to mine, that when she starts getting the baby seat, shopping, pram etc out of her car its dangerously close to mine. She thinks its hilarious when she sees me hopping about trying to see if shes hit my car or not.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back