Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cabin temperature sensor replacement. FIXED

wibbaboo

So.. I took the car out for a spin today... When I started her up the aircon (in Auto mode) went on full blast with cold air blasting ...even after 5mins driving... No change..
I could only reduce the blowers by increasing the temp control to 29.5 ... And then it only dropped by 3 lines on the control.
In manuel mode it's the same story... Only hot air when on "hi"

The only way I could get ANY warm air was to put the control to "hi".

So it's as if the car thinks the cabin is really hot and needs to cool me down?

No other symptoms... No loss of any fluids obvious or electrical issues.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Yep that was exactly what mine was doing. Dead simple to change the sensor and fixed the problem immediately.

Note that there are two sensors in the cabin - one on the passenger side dash, which is easy to change, and one behind the A/C console which is a pain in the bum to get to. The easy one - that fixed it for me - is one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/p/GENUINE-POR...-4-INTERIOR-TEMP-SENSOR-99665324100/647377015

The one behind the A/C console is different

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...sche-Boxster---Cayman---996---997-1H0907543A/

so make sure you get the right one.

If it's a 3.4 I think one of the readouts on the air-con panel is your interior temp. Can't remember which one but should be easy enough to find the list

Thanks all..

@deckster - I've ordered the easy one to change - is this behind the passenger side air vent? My first time taking any of the dash apart - anything i need to be aware of?
:dont know:

Nothing that I can think of. Three (Torx) screws to take it out, disconnect the old one, reconnect the new one, screw it back in. Job done.

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/911_turbo_cabriolet_(996)/f6-3.6l_turbo/heating_and_air_conditioning/cabin_temperature_sensor/switch/component_information/service_and_repair/procedures/page_2858/

Thanks Deckster.

You gave me the confidence to replace the temperature sensor.... And it FIXED the problem. :thumbs:

I forgot how effective and quiet the aircon is when working. I celebrated with an hour drive... Just to check everything was working :wink:

(Now I'm a mechanic ... Perhaps Baz can employ me... :?: )

:thumbs: Nice one. Particularly for the...um...mechanically disinclined like us, fixing something yourself is a great feeling.

I'd love to get stuck in and replace my exhausts and engine mounts like you see some people on the forum doing, but realistically I'm never going to have those skills. So taking small victories where we can is the way forward :D

Demort - do you have any values for normal. Even the 2nd hand ones are expensive and the new prices are crazy

Wondering if I could solder in a new thermistor

Cheers
Guy

As above ..

if your type has the fan with the sensor inside which costs a fortune then this does work .. i fitted just the sensor to keep the cost down ..

As per the thread i didn't take pictures as i was experimenting but a bit of cutting the old motor and this sensor and it fitted just fine .

I used 2 pack glue to hold it in place .

The values i see on a tester are temperature ones .. it's pretty obvious if they are faulty or not .. 39 degree reading from this sensor in the middle of winter and it's an over read .

You do have an outlet sensor as well i believe but the dash one is the usual issue .

Thanks for posting the link arry as i would never have found it .. i post to much to remember what i put wrote and where :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back