Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squealing brakes !!

greg555

Back in November I changed my 997 Targa 4s for a 991.2 Carrera S. I would like to know are any other 991.2 owners experiencing squealing brakes when they heat up. It is not happening under hard braking but coming to a junction or moving in traffic. I have been back to OPC & they have checked & greased all relevant parts but with no change, they also said that the new brake pads that are being fitted to 991.2 are made of a harder compound than previous pads to enable superior stopping power !! Whenever I had the chance I would have enjoyed a good run in 997 Targa 4s & never experienced any problems with squealing brakes.

991 turbo 3400 miles squeaking breaks. Same as yours after warming up on gentle application

Also have squealing brakes on my C4S 991.1. Started when the car had about 8K miles on it from new and gradually has increased as the car has moved to 16K miles.

The conditions for squealing are when coming to rest from low speed at junctions, roundabouts or in car parks (anywhere where delicate feathering of the brakes is needed). Really lets the car down and causes people to turn around for the wrong reasons. :nooo:

Had it into the OPC 3 times now. Initially, the service manager believed the problem was the front brakes, so they took everything apart and cleaned up all bits. No improvement. Second visit, attention moved to the rears. Again, everything pulled apart and cleaned. Again, no improvement. Third visit, the service manager reluctantly changed the rear pads. Again, no improvement.

Whilst all this was going on, the dealer had been in dialogue with Posche UK. The upshot was by the end of the third attempt I was referred to page ** in the handbook which basically says that squealing like a pig is an inherent engineering characteristic of the car.

So my conclusion, is that the car's discs/pads are sensitive to wear and as the surfaces wear the natural frequency increases to a point whereby we can hear noise/squealing. I think Porsche know this and have quantitative data for this noise phenomenon, but obviously do not want to admit it and leave themselves open to warranty claims on regularly changing discs and pads for a bunch of annoyed owners.

Very unhappy at how the dealership and Porsche UK responded to this issue, ultimately extracting themselves with a get-out clause in the handbook. Pathetic really. :x

So the car continues to squeal as it comes to a halt, just like a taxi cab, although an expensive one. :what:

My 991.1 C2S has squeaky brakes from time to time. I found and read in a few places to drive it hard and brake hard and it disappears. Downside is it comes back frequently but hey hoy meant to be driven hard and enjoyed.

Thanks for the replies 👍 It was mentioned that in future it was going to be mentioned in the small print in the manual 😚 Another suggestion was to turn the radio up 😳 I have to say that everything else about the car has been outstanding but this is definitely an issue that I am not impressed with & like any rattle / knock / squeak is very annoying especially considering the cost 🤑

greg555 said:
Thanks for the replies 👍 It was mentioned that in future it was going to be mentioned in the small print in the manual 😚

Already in my handbook on page 138 ......
Certain speeds, braking forces and ambient conditions (e.g. temperature and humidity) can therefore cause the brakes to squeal.

Obviously, written by a group of engineers who know they have a low speed problem, and then rubber stamped by Porsche's accountants and lawyers.

Told my OPC exactly what I thought about these fallacious words. Their response was that their hands were tied, but they were happy to have the car back in again for a 4th visit. When asked if they were going to change anything such as the discs, the answer was "no", so my reply was "why bother? the handbook says they all do that sir". :eek:

The squealing brakes, coupled with the GT3 Gen 2 allocation con trick, is starting to give me reasons to fall out of love with Porsche as a company. I've got a 14 year old TT and it's never once had squealing brakes, so why should a 911's brakes behave like a London taxi with 500K on the clock. :?

Personally, I would try deglazing the braking surfaces with some say 600 grit emery cloth by spinning the discs through my hands with the wheels removed obviously, then taking the car for an agressive brake bedding in cycle :thumb:

You have to remember that Porsche do not over assist their brakes with servo assistance, unlike say BMW or Mercedes, so when you are gentle on the brakes in a Porsche, you are not working the brakes at all..........leading to glazing of the friction surface, add that to non agressive road pads and you are setting yourself up for the perfect squealing scenario :grin:

Drive it like you stole it once a week, or buy a BMW or a Mercedes :thumb:

Have had it every now and then, but very infrequently and after i've not driven it much. Use it for a few higher speed longer runs and you don't get the issue.

Personally i quite like it :D its a sports car, not a Rolls Royce. ;)

2200 miles and I get the occasional squeak. Less noticeable now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back