Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Akrapovic exhaust (997.2) ** NOW INSTALLED **

Thank you sir!! Much appreciated.

Will take a look when I'm back, away for business at the moment.

:thumb:

** update **

System installed but there seems to be no difference between the two modes when I switch between the two modes. There is a clicking noise at the muffler when the wireless switch toggles. However no change in sound.

Been back once to get it looked at by the UK Akra dealer who couldn't find a fault. All under warranty but now they want me to go back so they can take a video.

I'm asking if I can take the video myself as it's annoying to keep going back and forth just to illustrate the issue. Frankly it's annoying that Akra won't take their own dealer's word for it. :dont know:

Let's see if it gets resolved, and how quickly.

Nik if its a vacuum type valvetronic system when this happened to my valved not akro system I found the valves were switching ok heard the clicking on the boxes, but the vacuum was not moving the valves open or closed the fault was further up the vacuum pipe set up there was a T piece with a sort of actuator in it and it was this that had failed , replaced it and it was sorted.
hope that helps mate
see the pics of what it was in mine this may help the techs

Attachments

• img_1282_110.jpg
    img_1282_110.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 6,678
  • img_1283_190.jpg
    img_1283_190.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6,678
As Phil says, if it is vacuum operated and the valves can be moved freely, it is probably the solenoid valve at fault! Like Phil's, mine has also died, so just ordered a replacement!

Gents - thanks so much for the feedback.

It is indeed vacuum operated. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Sorry for the ignorant questions....
- is there an easy way to test if this is the problem (didn't realise the exhaust would click if the vacuum had failed!) ?
- can I get the replacement parts easily or do I need to contact Akra ?

Thanks so much - am hoping you're right. (Although it should shame the alleged Akra experts who tested it!!)

Nik said:
Gents - thanks so much for the feedback.

It is indeed vacuum operated. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Sorry for the ignorant questions....
- is there an easy way to test if this is the problem (didn't realise the exhaust would click if the vacuum had failed!) ?
- can I get the replacement parts easily or do I need to contact Akra ?

Thanks so much - am hoping you're right. (Although it should shame the alleged Akra experts who tested it!!)

Nik , my tech pulled the hoses off to test it ,many of these type components are universal, see what akra want to charge you for it or if its under warranty if not and the part looks the same then try topgear exhausts for one of their valvetronic solenoids.
good luck and I hope its this thats the issue as its an easy fix. keep us posted hopefully if you point the akra expert in the right direction they will sort it , should be FOC as they have messed you about and its not like akra is entry level exhaust, its about as good as it gets so you want the service and support to back that up.

Nik when its sorted we want some vids to listen to :thumb:

Indeed! Will definitely be posting up a video for sure. :thumb:

Interesting that you had the same issue (ie exhaust was making the clicking noise when switch pressed. I thought this click meant that it was doing what it needed to. Other possibility is that it hasn't been installed properly as it was the first one that the fitter had done, and they asked me to send them the instructions.

The solenoid could fail in different ways, mine basically burned out, so was not actuating at all when button was pressed.

It could just be sticking and trying to actuate but not making it. Tap with a screwdriver might free it up in this case. Unlikely, but could it be wired up incorrectly, if wires are reversed then the solenoid might be trying to shift the valve in the opposite direction. Also, most vacuum solenoid valves have three connections, only two are required so one is usually blanked off. If the vacuum pipes are connected to the wrong way round then this might also cause an issue, likewise the small check valve!

Bikeracer1098 said:
Not very common due to price, however fantastic.

I've got full Akrapovic titanium full systems fitted to all my race bikes :thumb:

Me too! I remember walking into Hein Gerrike one Saturday to buy a £4 oil filter for my R1 and walking out with a £1000 full titanium akrapovic race system for my R1. Cracking system!

DucatiRob said:
The solenoid could fail in different ways, mine basically burned out, so was not actuating at all when button was pressed.

It could just be sticking and trying to actuate but not making it. Tap with a screwdriver might free it up in this case. Unlikely, but could it be wired up incorrectly, if wires are reversed then the solenoid might be trying to shift the valve in the opposite direction. Also, most vacuum solenoid valves have three connections, only two are required so one is usually blanked off. If the vacuum pipes are connected to the wrong way round then this might also cause an issue, likewise the small check valve!

Thanks Rob!

I wish I was more mechanically minded, so I could check it myself! :dont know:

Nik, I did try the hammer trick and it worked for a day or so them packed up again so I replaced the solenoid. If its the first he's fitted then my guess is its wired up wrong or the pipes are on wrong as Rob is suggesting as well. get him to pull the hoses off the solenoid and try them in different positions if when pulled off you can feel air then it should be ok and is connected wrong . also try as a trial to bypass the solenoid and see if the valves change position if they do then the issue is either the solenoid or the way its connected. :thumb:

Thanks !! Will try to fiddle with it over the next day or so.

I did notice that one or two of the rubber hoses were held tightly in place and may have been a little pinched, which may have restricted the air flow a little.

I suspect (hope!) maybe it just hasn't been wired up correctly which could be an easy fix. I do have the Akrapovic instructions but ideally would find a local mechanic to help diagnose and fix. Going back to the place that installed is a bit of a treck and it's tough to keep taking random days off work to sort it.

Thanks again for all the advice. :thumb:

Nik said:
Thanks !! Will try to fiddle with it over the next day or so.

I did notice that one or two of the rubber hoses were held tightly in place and may have been a little pinched, which may have restricted the air flow a little.

I suspect (hope!) maybe it just hasn't been wired up correctly which could be an easy fix. I do have the Akrapovic instructions but ideally would find a local mechanic to help diagnose and fix. Going back to the place that installed is a bit of a treck and it's tough to keep taking random days off work to sort it.

Thanks again for all the advice. :thumb:

Nik. I have PMed you mate :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back