Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Roof closing issue

Zen Ben

Typical that when I come to sell my car the roof is misbehaving. Its trying to lock the catch in place before it completely shut so I have to help it.

The hook is ok but the H shape plastic bit is broken and i guess this tells the catch when to lock. See picture below.

Is there a way just to buy the part without spending £600 or is there a way to tell the roof to way another few inches before locking.

Any ideas would be great as this will put people off and I don't have the money to get it fixed.

99756111701_LR1.jpg

Not quite the same but....

I had an issue with the roof on my old 968 - basically a bolt had come loose and fallen into the bodywork somewhere. My local indy (Northway) had an exploded parts diagram of the roof mechanism, which meant I could order just the bolt, rather than the whole central hinge mechanism. Might be worthwhile calling up your indy and asking the question...

You can replace just the plastic cover for the hook , need to talk to OPC parts about that but that is used to tell the roof the closed position .

If the latch is running before the roof is close enough to the lock then something is stopping it .. either roof mechanism , calibration or the switch under the tuning fork shape on the latching mechanism is faulty .

Calibration or switch is what i would check first .

The cover for the hook is ok, its another black plastic part that broke off. Is there not a sensor that activates the hook once the roof touches the windscreen frame.

Its just trying to lock in place an inch or two early.

On the picture you posted then the " tuning fork " the U shaped bit above the latching hook is the bit that touches the roof frame , operates a micro switch and then the latching hook will work.

Its also goverened by the roof potentiometers so if it sees the end of travel on these then it will also operate the latching hook .

Need to check this switch is ok and also a calibration ..

If the roof latch cycles .. in other words it never locks but keeps locking / unlocking then i would lean towards this switch being faulty ..

From your description though i would start with the above if i was looking at it .

EDIT ..

Bit that broke off .. its not that U shape i just mentioned is it ? if so then thats your problem , its also part of the latching assembly as far as im aware so hopefully it can be glued .

Yes, its the tuning folk that's broken, can it be replaced or do I need to buy the whole mechanism? Or any Heath Robinson ideas

Its part of the mechanism im afraid , ive changed the whole lot before because this snapped off ..

If you have the part that broke then there are some Very good adhesives that will restick it.

A new lock assembly whilst bloody expensive might also need setting up and will need calibrating .

I think it was partially broken when I bought the car, but i do have a bit of it that broke off recently. Will try any glue or i am going to have to just take a hit on the car price. Bummer

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back