Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camshaft covers off

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

Final job to do after the timing chain covers was the camshaft covers while everything was off. On the RHS two of the bolts would not come out and although I used a good quality allen key with a impact driver they just would not budge. I then drilled the head out with a 6mm bit and forced in an oversized allen key and that did the job. Tried the same approach on the second one but it wouldn't come out. I then drilled it a bit more with the 6mm bit and sheared the head off, I was then able to remove the cover and then get a pair of mole grips on to the remainder of the bolt, all sorted. On the LHS only one bolt required drilling and using the oversized allen key did the job. I now have both covers off awaiting the arrival of new gaskets and 22 new bolts. I'm having a well earnd rest over the weekend as I now ache all over :lol: Crawling under a car is a young mans job :lol:

I now only have the PU to fit along with the lights and the mufflers 8)

A few pics for info.

ATB :)

Attachments

• sheared_bolt_194.jpg
    sheared_bolt_194.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2,831
  • bolt_with_oversized_allen_key_180.jpg
    bolt_with_oversized_allen_key_180.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 2,831
  • rhs_camshaft_783.jpg
    rhs_camshaft_783.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2,831
  • lhs_camshaft_124.jpg
    lhs_camshaft_124.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,831
  • cover_158.jpg
    cover_158.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,831
  • rear_end_back_together_155.jpg
    rear_end_back_together_155.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 2,831
Persevering rather than panic! Well done that man!

wilsonny said:
a few tense moments there I'll bet. Step back with that satisfied feeling that you've not broken anything !

Make sure you follow the tightening order (inward out).

Yes some very tense moments but the bolts drilled out very easily as they are made from cheese :lol:

Well thanks for that wilsonny, I would have started top left hand corner and then gone diagonal from one end to the other as you would tighten a cylinder head. May I ask where it says to start from the middle?

bentley service manual (page 15b-15 if you have it). torque to 10nm...i used a bicycle torque wrench (small hand held thing).

it takes loads of cycles around the tightening order to get then all right, but ive not had any drips following this method. i filed my Alan heads with copper grease afterwards to try to control corrosion.

wilsonny said:
bentley service manual (page 15b-15 if you have it). torque to 10nm...i used a bicycle torque wrench (small hand held thing).

it takes loads of cycles around the tightening order to get then all right, but ive not had any drips following this method. i filed my Alan heads with copper grease afterwards to try to control corrosion.

Thanks again much appreciated :thumb:

Sterling work Dec. Thanks for posting up the pics.

Yeh super work, something I have to attack soon but should be somewhat easier as my engine is out, like the way you approached the seized bolts, good man.

Trev

decgraham said:
Hi All,
. I'm having a well earnd rest over the weekend as I now ache all over :lol: Crawling under a car is a young mans job :lol:

Yes but at least you'll be warm in Spain :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back