Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paintwork - poor respray

DucatiRob said:
Did they remove the bonnet for painting? If so was the paint oven baked after? Important because if not, the paint shouldn't be touched, and definitely not waxed for a good couple of weeks, longer in this cold weather.

Paintwork on new cars is baked in an oven at a high temperature, something you can't do when the car is fitted out with interior, plastics etc. When a panel or even a car is repainted then all they can do is put infra red lamps on to help the paint flash off. The paint will take several weeks to fully cure during which time is shouldn't be polished or waxed. Sounds to me that they didn't get a great finish out of the gun and have flatted and polished too early!

Being approved Im sure they did this. My car was done the same way, I have the video to prove it! They do polish it before they return the car though. After I filmed my car being painted and heated etc the painter said it couldn't be collected in il it was properly polished.

As Isyman said, I'm sure they will have followed good procedure.
I had to wait 4 weeks before having the full machine polish and Swissvax treatment to allow the new paint and lacquer to cure fully.

The OP has used OPC who will have used a Porsche-approved bodyshop and the standard of finish will be rectified as all such work has a warranty.

Do people have opinions whether it is acceptable to partially paint a paint a body panel versus painting the full panel.

Not wanting to get into what happened, etc but I am being offered partial repainting of the affected panels but the advice from a couple of body shops is the full panel needs to be painted. :?:

The car is meteor grey 997.2 C4S so I am concerned how well a partial repaint of panels will look particularly as there aren't any swage lines that can hide the paint edge, etc.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks
Pete.

Blend the colour within the panel, clear coat the whole panel would be the only way I would accept it. Paint edges will show in time if faded out within the panel.

Both paint shops I have been to will not blend the colour on a panel, but will only re spray the entire panel in order to give a consistent finish. I have a small chip in the lacquer on the top of the front wing and both have said the wing needs a full re spray in order to sort it. Best to avoid blending I guess. :?:

Out of interest the local Porsche approved body shop will only spray the wing with it off the car. They do not mask and spray in situ.

That difference in opinion is exactly the problem I have and basically I don't know what is an acceptable repair.

Is there any official guidance from Porsche as to what is an acceptable repair?

The problem is there is no easy answer, there are so many variables including the quality and match of the paint, the skill of the guy wielding the paint gun and the colour itself. Some colours are a nightmare to match.

Gottans said:
That difference in opinion is exactly the problem I have and basically I don't know what is an acceptable repair.

Is there any official guidance from Porsche as to what is an acceptable repair?

In my opinion if you can see the car has been repainted then the repair isn't acceptable. Simples!

basildon993 said:
Both paint shops I have been to will not blend the colour on a panel, but will only re spray the entire panel in order to give a consistent finish. I have a small chip in the lacquer on the top of the front wing and both have said the wing needs a full re spray in order to sort it. Best to avoid blending I guess. :?:

Out of interest the local Porsche approved body shop will only spray the wing with it off the car. They do not mask and spray in situ.

The lot that painted the front of my arena red 993 many moons ago, who are very highly regarded, blended the front wings with no problem at all.

I would worry more about a good match between the adjacent panels if they were painting the whole thing, particularly a trickier colour like silver.

the only problem with blending is that if it is machined at a later date it can comback to haunt you.
Personally i would want a good colour match and a full panel done. where practical

Blending is common practice and a better alternative to only doing the one panel. There will always be a difference between two panels, even with the paint properly colour coded, depth of paint, depth of clear coat, how the final drop coat is applied etc. will all affect the final finish and appearance of the colour. Blending the paint, when done properly, makes the transition from one panel to another indistinguishable so most people will never know.

Thanks for all the comments.

By way of an update, the OPC had their detailer work on the bonnet and they made an improvement and reduced the number of swirls. They also offered me a discount on my next service.

There remain a few swirls, which are noticeable to my eyes in the sunshine, so I'm left wondering do I have OCD, too high expectations and a little unsatisfied by the whole process.

The OPC Manager and Paint shop Manager felt it was a good job.

I might put the discount value against getting Elite Detailing to work on the bonnet, or whether to go back again...

Avoiding basault black cars may be for the best.

It could be that they machine polished the paint too early while it was still soft which would make removing any resultant swirl marks harder to remove!

I would be frank and insist that you are not satisfied.

If its not right its not.
If your not happy then they should resolve the issue to your satisfaction.

If they had done your requirements correctly there would have been no need to OP post

:bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back