Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VTS fob

Gollom122

Suzuka
When I bought my car five years ago I was given a VTS fob which I have left in the glove box. I have never had VTS enabled but have been wondering if that fob does anything.
What would happen if I took it out of the vehicle and left it at home - would the car be disabled or is it just a legacy of days gone by when the previous owner paid for tracking?

The system normally has to be activated remotely IIRC, so the VTS will be inactive - worst case there would be an alert generated that would be ignored (no contract), and it won't disabled the car. You could always call Vodafone to be sure it is inactive.

I'd be inclined to just tuck them away beside the log book, etc. so they are to hand if you ever sell.

I doubt the battery in it is even working anymore , if it is then a simple test , press and hold the button for 10 seconds until the light stops flashing , its now turned off.

Try to start your car .. if it doesnt start then yup you need it !

Depending on model then its best to remove the immobiliser side of it just in case of future problems .. yes i can tell you how to do that but not on here :D

If you look in a dark room for the small red LED light to blip very faintly every few seconds the fob battery is still working.

It can safely be removed from the car though irrespective. Believe me you will know if your paying the £200+ per annum for it to work ;-)

I've just had to have mine hard reset under warranty on the boxster as vodaphone could not pick up the box. Apparently this is pretty common if its not been activated for a while :dont know: so its probably not working anyway even if you wanted it to.

jonttt said:
Believe me you will know if your paying the £200+ per annum for it to work ;-)

This.

A couple of weeks ago I moved my car pretty quickly a distance of about 25yds.
A few minutes later I had a phone call which I ignored because I didn't recognise the number and was having lunch. That was quickly followed by a text message. It was Vodafone :oops:

I've recently re-activated my Vehicle Tracker System, as it was a prerequisite from my Insurance company. My experience has been very positive from Vodafone. (Note - VF acquired Cobra in Jun 2014). In order for the fob / service to work, you have to be a subscriber (approx £207 pa).

If you are a subscriber, you must NOT keep the fob in the car! This defeats the purpose of the VTS if the car is stolen. You have to keep the fob on you, in a pocket or a wallet, which is a bit annoying but doable. Don't keep it on your keyring either, because if your keys are stolen....you get the picture.

I moved my car literally "around the block" last week and forgot the fob. Within seconds I got a text, followed by a phone call less than two minutes later. I was actually quite impressed with the efficiency.

@Gollom - Removing the fob from the car will not disable or hinder the car in anyway. The fob merely transmits a signal to the Operations Centre. Only if you are a subscriber - should the car move without the fob being nearby, you will receive a Text Message followed by a phone call. If you are not a subscriber, nothing will happen if the fob is at home and you are out driving.

The VTS Centre staff can see the exact GPS co-ordinates of the car, and the speed it is travelling at. If you confirm the car has been stolen, at that point, VTS can immobilise the engine remotely when deemed safe and also alert the Police. They only do this on your instruction.

A separate discussion can be had around whether or not you'd want the car back. I must admit, I personally wouldn't but I don't think you get the choice. Having said that, now that I have the VTS activated, I quite like it! I just hope I never need to use their service, like any form of Insurance.

Similar situation for me in that the Insurance company is requiring a tracker system.

Contacted Vodfone Automotive the people that run the VTS system, £217 to re-activate an account with them - all assuming the VTS system is working.
(it isn't, the nice lady tried to contact it while I was on the phone)

Says it needs a hard-reset at an OPC - just booked it in to be done 1/2 hours labour £103inc.VAT :eek: (but they wash and vacuum it so bargin) :)

vlad said:
Similar situation for me in that the Insurance company is requiring a tracker system.

Contacted Vodfone Automotive the people that run the VTS system, £217 to re-activate an account with them - all assuming the VTS system is working.
(it isn't, the nice lady tried to contact it while I was on the phone)

Says it needs a hard-reset at an OPC - just booked it in to be done 1/2 hours labour £103inc.VAT :eek: (but they wash and vacuum it so bargin) :)

Hmm, should be possible without a visit to OPC?

When I reactivated mine it had been "off" for about 3 years. Vodafone couldn't get the system to respond initially but eventually it was re-activated.

To answer the OP's question, the battery will be flat in the remote after 5 years. I put a new battery in mine when the system was reactivated and I had a text from Vodafone within the first 12 months telling me to replace the battery in the remote, so they can even detect when the battery gets low.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back