Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 996 this week......?

deckster said:
maldren said:
Looks really good, I'd like to give it a try myself. Which products did you use?
thanks
Mike

Cheers :thumb:

All the products were Gliptone Liquid Leather - mainly their standard ScuffMaster dye, just tell them your interior colour (Graphite Grey here) and they'll mix it up. Colour match is pretty much spot on. I used the same sponge discs I use to wax the car which worked very well - lots of thin coats is the key, as ever. You don't need much - a 250ml bottle did the whole of my interior - front & back seats, doors, seat backs, glovebox, dash, and centre console.

I used their Aquafil leather & vinyl filler for the creases in the seats and the big scratch you can see on the glovebox - again several thin coats and give it a good sanding down with 600+ grit at the end. Then apply the dye over the top as above.

For the plastics I used a modelling paintbrush to carefully fill the chips with ScuffMaster dye, and put a few thin coats over the entire surface using sponge discs again to blend it all in. You can still see that the chips are slightly indented, as frankly I couldn't be bothered to painstakingly fill them all in, but if you don't look for it then you don't notice them. If you look at the after pictures of the seat back and ignition you can see what I mean.

Apart from the dye and filler, I used GT12 intensive cleaner at the start to get all the grime and grease off, and then GT11 leather conditioner at the end.

The longest part of the process is waiting for it all to dry in between coats, but beyond that it's all pretty straightforward. My biggest mistakes were putting the filler on too thickly and then not sanding it down well enough (I have a couple of lumps on the seats where this happened), and then not leaving the final coat long enough to dry before using the leather conditioner. It says 24 hours - I did that and the conditioner took off the last couple of coats of dye, so after re-touching I left it a week before applying any more conditioner which seemed to work better.

:thumb:

Well done really looks great and well worth the effort.
Will be doing similar with mine when I get the time.

Indeed Deckster, an excellent job and a useful how-to.

You've got me wondering if the filler technique could be used to fill an indentation in the passenger dash airbag cover. Do you think it would work?

Thanks for the comments guys, it does indeed feel much fresher in there now. Honestly wouldn't know it's a 15 year old car :D

@robertb - depends on how much of a dent it is I guess - I would suggest that a bigger dent will be easier to fill than a very shallow one, and defined edges help as well. The airbag cover is leather at least which I found takes the filler very easily. It's all of 7 quid I think for a pot of filler so not exactly a huge investment to find out - and in my experience, it's most unlikely to make it worse. The biggest variable is how much patience you have in filling, sanding, filling, sanding etc. to get a perfectly smooth repair. It's worth having a google around as well, as there are plenty of how-to guides out there and you'll probably find one which is similar to your dent.

deckster said:
This week I have mainly treated the old girl to a bit of internal TLC. 150k miles isn't gentle on the seats or the plastics, but I wasn't going to pay out £££ to have the whole lot redone. So whilst it's not perfect, for £50 and a couple Saturday afternoons I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Once again, Gliptone stuff comes up a treat.

This is very nice work.

Got all her feet straightened out today... and went from -1.5 deg to -2.0 on the good old camber side :thumb:

My good friend Marky911 took it for me while i was at work.... Thanks buddie :worship:

Seems like he's went the long way home though... ha :hand:

Got to love a bit camber :thumbs:

Cleaned up the engine bay with a bit of gunk and some silicone spray.

Attachments

• img_4726_140.jpg
    img_4726_140.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,214
  • img_4728_205.jpg
    img_4728_205.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4,214
  • img_4729_122.jpg
    img_4729_122.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 4,214
  • img_4731_200.jpg
    img_4731_200.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4,214
Jay Man said:
Cleaned up the engine bay with a bit of gunk and some silicone spray.

Looks lovely JM I need to do my engine bay soon aswell :thumb:

cobrars said:
Got all her feet straightened out today... and went from -1.5 deg to -2.0 on the good old camber side :thumb:

My good friend Marky911 took it for me while i was at work.... Thanks buddie :worship:

Had fun threading through the Monday morning traffic and had a great drive back.
It's unreal now! Like a brand new car. I was smiling all the way home.
Forgot about the milometer though. I had to erm, test it under various conditions. :thumb:

Jayman - Cracking job. I remember doing my GT3. Lots of scratches to the back of my hands but well worth it.
Those treated plastics look great against the yellow paint. Time well spent.

Marky911 said:
cobrars said:

Had fun threading through the Monday morning traffic and had a great drive back.
It's unreal now! Like a brand new car. I was smiling all the way home.
Forgot about the milometer though. I had to erm, test it under various conditions. :thumb:

Jayman - Cracking job. I remember doing my GT3. Lots of scratches to the back of my hands but well worth it.
Those treated plastics look great against the yellow paint. Time well spent.
Thanks Mark, there is more work to do but im underway at least!

My P&J went in for a service yesterday so a load of Milllers Nano, new plugs, filters etc....

Osh

got these babys to handle the powerrrrr !!! almost lorry size lol

Attachments

• img_4141_434.jpg
    img_4141_434.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 5,044
Tom, they are goign on as i type!!!

Hope the "running in" in progressing nicely,,,,,,

Good news mate. When do you think you'll get it back?

I'm 500 miles in so far and it is just superb. Another 500 to go then we can commence tuning.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back