Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 987.1 S journey from pre-purchase to making her mine

The return of Marty Wild said:
He means 'chopping in' as in moving on to another does he not. Was a strange post though, almost like SPAM but not quite.

Ah. Clearly I no speaky

Just arrived on the South Coast after a jolly covering 120miles, the last 30 odd being a lovely mix of twisties and dual carriageways. Right past Paragon as it goes, but has it moved location!?

Anyways with no moody other half in the passenger seat (a uber rarity) I can confirm I'm in love with the Cayman, what a pleasure to drive, even in poor conditions.

Going to get my new Zunsport grills perfected tomorrow, they don't come the best of fits, as stated in this useful thread:

http://www.caymanoc.com/topic/238-zunsport-full-grill-set/

Can't say how much I love the car! The grip levels are on another level compared to my R32.

Also happened across my car's previous owner on PH (not that I was a member), been very comforting to stalk his posts on there and realise in the 6-7 years he had it, it was well looked after.

Have even had a bit of email chat with him, very friendly chap.

That's pretty rare to talk to the old owner. When I traded in my old 911 I left a full receipts folder with the dealer and said I'd be happy to talk to the new owner. Never heard from him though. I wonder if they even gave him the folder. I was told once that dealers don't pass on receipts because of the old chestnut 'data protection'.

Hmmm that's interesting, surely anyone with half a brain would want all the receipts and paperwork. Wonder if that's true about data protection, admittedly I have the previous owners address and telephone number. But it's not like I would have done anything with it.

Once I saw him merrily posting loads on PH, I figured he'd probably be game for car chat. And I was correct, very nice chap indeed and so good to know so much about the last 7 years of the car's life.

Had a search for him on here, nothing came up though.

Know the Cayman/Boxster thread is quiet, but for those few out there... I recently fitted the Zunsport grills to protect the rads/cons after a good hoovering out with my home made hoover extension.

But I found the fit poor, the metal work needed fettling to get them to seamlessly fit into the apertures. The previous owner of my car had fitted am alternative but Tom 911v had put the car back to standard when I bought it. He very kindly agreed to post the parts he had taken off to me, despite it being well over a month since I had taken the car from him.

Below is how things panned out, I know they divide opinions, but I am very happy with the small mod. I have since sold the Zunsport grills on here.

Attachments

• night_reduced_279.jpg
    night_reduced_279.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 8,444
  • complete_reduced_106.jpg
    complete_reduced_106.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8,444
  • tired_fog_368.jpg
    tired_fog_368.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 8,444
  • half_reduced_457.jpg
    half_reduced_457.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 8,444
  • grill_reduced_162.jpg
    grill_reduced_162.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 8,444
I think its a case of two birds with one stone, my rads/cons are protected with a much better fitting grill. I have also lost the hideously dated and tired round fog lights. I don't think the perfectly circular housing of the sides/fogs went with the rest of the car.

I had uprated the sidelight bulbs to LEDs but the inbuilt reflectors within the fog assemblies reduced most of the out put but at that point I had at least colour coded the sides to the HIDs. So getting rid of the horrible 'Mini Look'.

But the LED DRLs take things one step further, no confusing me with a Mini at night now. The DRLs are more up-to-date, much brighter and the black spar they are set into gives the impression that the whole intake is larger, like a Turbo for example. Win win win in my book.

I think it looks a lot nicer without those golf balls stuck on the front. Nice job.

MC

Cheers Mr C, got a mixed reception from my friends and colleagues. One mate who didn't like them at first, changed his mind when he saw them in the flesh.

Looks really good without the round fittings in the front balance , gives the car a good balance at the front. That was one part I didn't like in my Cayman .... that's a great mod.. white and black looks good too.....
Terry

Swapped out the horrible orange indicator bulbs too....

Attachments

• rear_after_188.jpg
    rear_after_188.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 8,417
  • rear_before_551.jpg
    rear_before_551.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 8,417
  • side_after_136.jpg
    side_after_136.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 8,417
  • side_before_118.jpg
    side_before_118.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 8,417
911TEL said:
Looks really good without the round fittings in the front balance , gives the car a good balance at the front. That was one part I didn't like in my Cayman .... that's a great mod.. white and black looks good too.....
Terry

Thanks, Terry appreciate the positive feedback from the forum regulars. As you say, the fact that my car already has the white with black theme further plays into the mod being a success IMO.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Swapped out the horrible orange indicator bulbs too....

I've seen MOT failures with 'bulbs incorrect colour'... are these MOT jobsworth approved?

Tis a good question Rob, if they don't like the 'silver' indicators, they'll just love the aftermarket HIDs :floor:

In fairness, all can be swapped out in about 20mins. Which reminds me, I need to post up my HID/LED Sidelight progression.

Ooh like those, if I was going to keep my Boxster long term I'd have those fitted, or the Boxster version.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back