Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the 996 the ugly sister?

The 996!!!! Yuk!..A hateful thing on every level and frankly an embarrassment to be seen in and with a chocolate engine to boot..why bother?

....and another thing...

If anyone is selling an aerokitted 996.1 pm me..cash waiting. :grin: :mrgreen:

I think the 996.1 is looking 'claasic' already and there's certainly nothing wrong with the 996 C4S. To my eye the 993 looks awkward with the unchanged roof line that somehow dosent suit the updated skirts and bumpers?

Anyway Porsche are just about to bring ugly sister out http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2020-porsche-992-911-spy-photos-news

but open the link with caution as I was sickened when I saw this. Probably too late for them to do too much about its styling either

:dont know:

Harv said:
I think the 996.1 is looking 'claasic' already and there's certainly nothing wrong with the 996 C4S. To my eye the 993 looks awkward with the unchanged roof line that somehow dosent suit the updated skirts and bumpers?

Anyway Porsche are just about to bring ugly sister out http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2020-porsche-992-911-spy-photos-news

but open the link with caution as I was sickened when I saw this. Probably too late for them to do too much about its styling either

just a 996 with a bodykit

alex yates said:
Ursa911 said:
Some say 986 & 996 saved Porsche.

It's fact.

I knew that but was wording it cautiously as there's always someone who would argue black is white.

I love my 996 so much so I'm now looking for another, a brother to cab but a coupe this time.

I remember the widebody 993s being roundly trashed by the motoring press for being 'tarts handbags'

......... Did our Terry ever own one ........ :?:

;)

Comes down to the definition of "classic" surely. How many made, how many left, rising value, ease of ownership, all the ongoing tweaks etc you need to do to keep it going and sometimes just sheer oddity all come into the equation. Being a classic bears no relation to how pretty a car is - my 40 year old SAAB 96 V4 is probably pig ugly to many but for sure is a classic. My MGB is older and prettier than the SAAB but less of a classic in my mind as way more common both when made and still on the road. My 40th AE is still too young in my mind to be a classic but might well be when she gets as old as her stablemates.

Any of you that read the classic car press will be very familiar with the ongoing "what's a classic" debate. Whatever you personally think it is in my book.

Cheers........Ian

I have never been keen on the original headlights but only because they look like an after thought that have just been left sticking out of the wing - they would have looked much better if they had actually fitted/blended them completely into the wing!

Del.

I think there were over 400k air cooled made, that's a massive production, so it shows you how great they are to become classic with so many still around.

I think the 996 is a very interesting and brave design. I love the 964 but am really not fond of the front end of the 993. Point being, looks are subjective. I think most don't like the 996 and they think it looks like the Boxster.

The 996 is a very well designed car and engineered to a very high standard generally (Engine, no rad grills and the odd suspension bolt susceptible to galvanic corrosion aside). I don't buy into the idea that due to lean concept production methods that the car is not as well built as the 993. If fact quite the opposite. The quality control and oversight would have been improved over the earlier gen cars. The 996 has some lovely lightweight design touches and having completely stripped one down to component parts I can't see where the supposed scrimping and corner cutting is.

If you wanted an early cable throttle C2 coupe manual, they are actually rarer than you might first think. Total 8310 made (V and W plates), probably half auto so really only around 4000. Then minus all the ones written off and broken probably due to expensive engine damage and you might lose another 20% so now 3200. I'm not sure of the number imported to the UK, but I would guess around 10% of the total production. So today there may only be around 3-400 probably why buyers are struggling to pick one up today.

I've always thought the boxster/996 thing was just an evolution of the 968/993 :dont know:

It'd be hard to deny the 968/993 front ends weren't alike. But did anyone diss the 993 for looking like a 968 :?:

1765a_large.jpg

404766d1260375992-pic-request-narrow-body-993-with-turbo-front-bumper-img_2708_sml.jpg

Didn't the gen1 headlights come from the GT1? Or did the GT1 lights come from the 996.1?

Anyway, this has been an excellent fishing trip by the OP and many little nibbles have been taken from the bait!

I personally think that (C4S aside) the 996.1 C2 is a peach of a motor. Possibly the ultimate 911 in that it has performance, practicality, is uncomplicated and is currently excellent value. No other 911 has every single one of these qualities to the same extent. Sure some might be less complicated but not be as quick, others may be quicker but not as good value etc etc.

The only thing stopping me getting a low mileage well maintained C2 as a long term investment is that it would then be my 5th 9*6 gen Porsche. If I'm honest this was one of the reasons I nearly bought a low miler 997 turbo even though I like them less than the previous generation.

*C4S is IMO the best looking 'normal' 911 ever

I like aspects of all the 911 cars and other bits I don't like, the only reason the 991.1 will be a future classic is that the 991.2 with its 3lts twin turbo is going to be just another fat German touring car and will seriously damage the iconic status of the marque and the 911s sports heritage. Hopefully they will realise this and future 911S will return to be what we expect from the brand.
re the 996 How can you say this pic of Blackturbo's car is ugly . They all have the ability to look aggressive or classic it depends on the look the owner wants.
Some hate the aero kit, I love them. Beauty is a personal thing, just ask your Mum :floor: :floor: :floor:

Attachments

• frontangle_zps09hfzxaz_404.jpg
    frontangle_zps09hfzxaz_404.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4,124
ragpicker said:
Didn't the gen1 headlights come from the GT1? Or did the GT1 lights come from the 996.1?

I personally think that (C4S aside) the 996.1 C2 is a peach of a motor. Possibly the ultimate 911 in that it has performance, practicality, is uncomplicated and is currently excellent value. No other 911 has every single one of these qualities to the same extent. Sure some might be less complicated but not be as quick, others may be quicker but not as good value etc etc.

*C4S is IMO the best looking 'normal' 911 ever

The 996 lights were taken from the GT1

Porsche-996-GT1-EVO-Strassenversion_1.jpg

ELA said:
I think the 996 is a very interesting and brave design. I love the 964 but am really not fond of the front end of the 993. Point being, looks are subjective. I think most don't like the 996 and they think it looks like the Boxster.

The 996 is a very well designed car and engineered to a very high standard generally (Engine, no rad grills and the odd suspension bolt susceptible to galvanic corrosion aside). I don't buy into the idea that due to lean concept production methods that the car is not as well built as the 993. If fact quite the opposite. The quality control and oversight would have been improved over the earlier gen cars. The 996 has some lovely lightweight design touches and having completely stripped one down to component parts I can't see where the supposed scrimping and corner cutting is.

If you wanted an early cable throttle C2 coupe manual, they are actually rarer than you might first think. Total 8310 made (V and W plates), probably half auto so really only around 4000. Then minus all the ones written off and broken probably due to expensive engine damage and you might lose another 20% so now 3200. I'm not sure of the number imported to the UK, but I would guess around 10% of the total production. So today there may only be around 3-400 probably why buyers are struggling to pick one up today.

i don't agree, any hand built car is going to be better than one built by machine, its why they were so good for all those years and still are. Mine is 35 and as solid as a rock, the engine is all original and would easily do the max speed if on an autobahn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back