Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear light cluster

Ursa911

I recently noticed some damp/misting inside my n/s rear light cluster so removed, drained and towel dried the inside (cloth on a stick method) then used Mrs Ursa's hair dryer to clear the rest. A week later i notice its damped up again and wonder if this is a common fault as i don't see any cracks in the lense itself. Can this be fixed with a bit of clear silicone on the seal or tiny holes drilled rather than £400 on a new cluster? Anyone else experienced this and whats the resolve?

Better to let the air in (and water out)

They aren't designed to be air-tight

Noticed this on mine the other day (dectane led) And been wandering the same thing

Remember having an old e36 bmw that did the same with the front lights and I ended up drilling a hole in the caps and also inserted a silica gel satchel in a crevice to absorb moisture which worked well

997 rear lights suffer from this but not really 996 .. i would guess at either a crack or the lens its self has come partially detatched from the unit.

I think if it was me i would remove the light unit and have a good look .. if nothing obvious then silicone sealent around the lens to unit in case it has debonded .

You could drill a small hole in the base of the unit but its probably best to try and find the leak rather than drill holes .

You could always try pouring water over it to see if you can locate the leaking area .

Thanks all, i'll take a look at the cluster over the Cristmas break and advise my findings

Following on from my post a couple of months back i had a look at the misted n/s rear light cluster. With the use of a microfibre cloth attached to a wire coat hanger i managed to wipe dry most of the inside of the misted-up light cluster. Then knocking together an adjustable diameter tube to fit where the bulbs plug and Mrs Ursa's hairdryer i gently dried the remaining moisture inside the light cluster then left it in the airing cupboard for the day to fully dry out.

Refitted all clean and clear but within a matter of of days the light has misted up again (its a damp time of year). Removed and inspected i find a hairline crack in the lense. Would this be enough to mist the inside so quickly, bearing in mind the cluster is made up of sections (indicator, reverse, fog, brake etc) the who clusters seems to be wet. Also, and im not sure what they are, there are some hardened sponge pieces along the bottom of the cluster in various levels of condition (see pics), i'm not sure what they are. Finally, there seems to be a rubber breather tube which pulls on and off and is clear from dirt and blockages.

Is the hairline crack the problem or something else? Should i drill a couple of small holes to drain or allow air to breath through? Am i looking at £500 new lense? If so i might just buy the LED C4S/Turbo rear lights from D911 and update the tail end entirely.

2hd1fk3.jpg

k4bbk5.jpg

r6wu2o.jpg

11c5bag.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back