Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My GT3 restoration and upgrade thread

Talking of rub, the mpss can rub if sticking with 18's. Normally only when you go over a quick depression.

Hope that helps butsounds like youre going down the more sportier tyre route

I cant get MPSS to fit the new wheels, only cup 2's or Toyo Proxes R888R are available in the sizes currently....

im running the next size up, think its 295/35/18's as wanted to try the MPSS.

The MPSS is now a redundant line and its successor is due out shortly

OK, have found all 3 available now, so it's a straight fight between the cup 2's, Proxes R888R and the Trofeo R's.......

A factor to throw in is that the Tofeo's are £300 more expensive than the other 2....

Are they £300 better?

not really mark. maybe on track at the very limit and after long running.

I would go for the Cup2s all day.

less noisy than the toyos and more usable every day too.

where did you find them and in what sizes?

NLW73 said:
not really mark. maybe on track at the very limit and after long running.

I would go for the Cup2s all day.

less noisy than the toyos and more usable every day too.

where did you find them and in what sizes?

I disagree; the Cup2 is actually not such a great tyre. The original Cup was a great tyre apart from its inability to work in heavy rain / standing water. The Cup2 addressed this weakness but is ultimately more compromised as a UHP tyre. The Trofeo R has better wet weather performance than the Cup2 & brings back the full fun factor of the GT3 on the road & track which I always felt was missing from the Cup2. They are quieter than the Cup2 and fantastically heat-stable on track, another weakness of the Cup2.

For me, the Trofeo R is worth the extra.

I think she deserves nothing but the best , so will give the Trofeo's a go, thx for the advice all...

NXI20 said:
The original Cup was a great tyre apart from its inability to work in heavy rain / standing water.

...and of course the fact that it would wear the inner shoulder down to the cord in about 5000 road miles (if not less) on a car with aggressive camber... :hand:

Incidentally - when I was clearing up the computer the other day I found the PDF with the official instructions for cutting the tread of the original Cup for use in water. Did anyone that we know ever actually try that?

Nah, we all liked to live dangerously! If it got really bad you just found the biggest juggernaut & followed in its wheel tracks ;)

Were you on the infamous Spa to Zandvoort jaunt in a monsoon in 2011? I have a picture somewhere of us battling through the spray. :eek:

NXI20 said:
Nah, we all liked to live dangerously! If it got really bad you just found the biggest juggernaut & followed in its wheel tracks ;)

Were you on the infamous Spa to Zandvoort jaunt in a monsoon in 2011? I have a picture somewhere of us battling through the spray. :eek:

Indeed, though it was only one of many. I think that the scariest Belgian rain experience that I ever had was one time in the 996 on Cups with no lorries available locked into the wheel tracks of a Lotus though. That was by far the deepest standing water that I've ever driven on with Cups and I am not sure that it wasn't actually just aquaplaning in a straight line due to the shallower wheel tracks. :eek:

[...and yes - we were still the slowest thing on the road by far]

Update

The car has been delivered down to 9 excellence for some further fettling....

Works will be:

Install Kline exhaust and IPD plenum and throttle body
Install cup wheel and quick release
Install function first transmission inserts
Swap out my PCCB discs for Alcon 362mm replacements & Pagid pads

The latter was on Nick's advice, apparently the first generation discs are not very robust and easily worn through, so I thought I would keep them safe. The Alcons are larger and with the pagids, braking performance should be as good.

So the first job was a dyno run to get a baseline - she is making 396BHP at the crank , which is apparently good....

Then the plenum and new, larger throttle body was fitted:

Next job was the transmission mount inserts, I went for the orange which is middle in terms of stiffness...

After that it was strip down the arse end to remove the exhaust and clean up all those areas which have not seen daylight since the factory.

lastly, they have removed the manifiolds, however, as expected the mounting studs are not playing ball, and several need drilling out. Here are some of the offending articles:

Good job I have a set of nice new titanium ones to go in their place.....

I am going down tomorrow to deliver the brakes, so will update some more pictures after that.....

You don't mess around getting things done do you 8)
Look forward to hearing if any difference is felt

And which steering wheel are you replacing? As it's way down my priority list but I am tempted to replace my 4 spoke wheel :wink:

Great update mark and its coming on really well.

Those kline exhausts are a thing of beauty. Have you gone for 200 cell? That will help with the power alongside the bigger TB and plenum.

Remap too?

Are you putting on the RSS engine mounts too?

I have got some torque solutions one to go on along with the function first tranny mounts like yours so would be interested to see what you feel and think after.

396 bhp is good for oem and no changes!!

Hi Lee, it's a 996 cup wheel going in.

Nick - the mounts are already fitted, but have not really had a chance to assess the effect yet, as have only driven it on the motorway since fitting.....will let you know. The exhaust is a 200 cell one, yes. I have not seen it yet as it did not arrive as promised last week, should get there Tuesday....

I have ordered new heat shields as mine are a little tatty in places...

The exhaust has till not arrived, however am assured is in transit for Monday delivery.....So next week will be somewhat hectic.....

Have a few more pictures , the wheel is fitted, the new brakes are on, had stainless braided hoses done at the same time, the front grilles are in and the new heat shields fitted. Plus the studs are out and helicoiled for the new titanium studs to be fitted:

Hopefully will collect on Wednesday.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back