Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo 'tip' run out

seeforez said:
good to see some positive auto feedback after all if they must have a lot of positives if so many people chose to pay extra for them ...

I remember the launch of the 997 Turbo, had a 996 Turbo at the time, I wanted one so much. Porsche where peddling the Tip so much on the fact it was quicker than the manual.

BMW did the same with the E46 M3 and the sh1te SMG thingy "Its F1 technology sir, you would be silly to spec your M3 without one, its the future"

So I bought one new, ticked everything and then had it 11 days. "The horror" It still remains the only car I have ever bought new. Never again.

Boba fett said:
seeforez said:
good to see some positive auto feedback after all if they must have a lot of positives if so many people chose to pay extra for them ...

I remember the launch of the 997 Turbo, had a 996 Turbo at the time, I wanted one so much. Porsche where peddling the Tip so much on the fact it was quicker than the manual.

BMW did the same with the E46 M3 and the sh1te SMG thingy "Its F1 technology sir, you would be silly to spec your M3 without one, its the future"

So I bought one new, ticked everything and then had it 11 days. "The horror" It still remains the only car I have ever bought new. Never again.
Bobba a friend of mine M3 manual nut! Did exactly the same, he always went manual and was persuaded to go SMG 5 months later he went back and spent a stupid amount of money trading his car in for the manual, no one knew though because in every other way the car was the same
M :floor:

silvermilnec said:
Boba fett said:
seeforez said:

Bobba a friend of mine M3 manual nut! Did exactly the same, he always went manual and was persuaded to go SMG 5 months later he went back and spent a stupid amount of money trading his car in for the manual, no one knew though because in every other way the car was the same
M :floor:

But the heart of the car was different.

I remember it well, WTF is wrong with this hateful gearbox.

Trouble is I never learnt my lesson, I tried again just recently with a CSL rep and prior to that a V10 M5.

No more for me !!

The one thing everyone says about the 'tip' box is it's just about bomb proof, okay the buttons are a complete PITA and why someone chose them over paddles is a complete mystery.
Apparently they've been run at over a 1000 bhp with no issues!
The only time I find them 'easy' is on the motorway and cruising along in 5th then you want to overtake without going for a full kick down, you just tap it down a gear and go.
I've noticed on my car that the indicator light shows it's changed gear before the box has!
They're certainly not the work of the devil as some say and mated to a metzger engine they're a pretty good combo.

+1 Boba V10 M5 SMG awful

I really enjoy the tip box and get on with the buttons fine. I do wish it blipped on down shift more often, as said when it does 'sporadically' blip down it sounds great. Again sometimes it does things or changes when i necessarily wouldnt..... but the speed the car goes i'd struggle to fully enjoy the manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back