Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New member intro

Pavlon

Hello!

Just wanted to say hi as I am a new owner of 1990 H reg 964 C4 Manual LHD (I was searching for LHD as I like them more)
I just picked up the car from Woods 911 in N.I. and drove it back to London over the weekend!
The car has 98K kms on the odo and was mostly in storage over the last few years.
I am taking it for service at RPM this weekend to replace all fluids and general check up plus wheel alignment and balancing - it kept pulling to left a bit on the drive back.
The car has been inspected independenty prior and I was told its all good mechanically but I'd rather do a full service now for peace of mind.
The standard things that don't work are speakers, A/C, centre console illumination and wind screen washer jets (it pumps but the jets seem just old and a bit rotten)

I will sure come back to this space to share news and ask for advice!

Couple of things I noticed on the drive back (I was super paranoid the car will break down any minute ;) that you might shed some light on:

After I refuelled the car full I could smell a bit of petrol inside the cabin and trunk but few hours later when in stop and go traffic - any possible causes?
On hard acceleration I could smell a bit of exhaust fumes - worried that heat exchangers are letting some in?
When on idle (traffic lights) i could hear some pump whine/ subtle noise coming from the front every 10 or so seconds - quiet but noticeable is this some sort of fuel pump moving fuel from tank to engine?

To be honest I don't know much about 964 and will be learning as I go!

Attached is the picture too!

Attachments

• unadjustednonraw_thumb_a296_260.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_a296_260.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 12,017
  • unadjustednonraw_thumb_a296_907.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_a296_907.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 12,017
Welcome aboard chum :thumb:

RPM I am sure will identify and fix those faults for you. They all sound quite standard issues so nothing I'd worry about.

If you look at the 'Stickys' at the top of the 964 board you will have the answer to the problems as we've all experienced some of them over the years.

Firstly, the pump you hear at the front. That is the compressor for the braking system which is on all C4s. As you brake you lose some of the pressure so the pump tops it up. If you leave the car overnight and then turn on the ignition without starting the engine you should hear the pump priming the system and the brake warning liight staying on until its up to pressure. set off too early and you can sometimes get the warning buzzer :what:

Fumes in the cabin. Sounds like the flxible piping coming off the heat exchanger to the heating system has split allowing fumes to enter. Easy fix but trunking can be expensive if you go OEM. Other options exist.

AC. Could be as simple as a re-gas which I doubt but more likley to be a knackered condensor or evaporator - or both. There's good and bad news here. The parts are cheap and chaning out the condensor is easy but the evaporator is a BIG job in labour just to get to it. If you want AC it's worth doing. I got a very good price from my Indy to do it who knew what they were doing :grin:

Centre console illumination. Simple fix if you're handy with a soldering iron. Just get some dash bulbs (preferably off eBay and not from OPC) bend the legs and solder onto the PCB.

Not sure about the petrol smell issue but I believe someone else had this problem and hopefully can advise.

Welcome nice looking car.

If it's not been used much recently the faults you mention should hopefully not be too serious.

I know it may seem to be quite off putting when faults are found just after getting a new car but it's also quite nice to find the cause and fix it.

Hope you enjoy it.

:thumb:

lovely car. my 964 C4 also had faint oil smell in the cabin and petrol in the frunk, didn't think nothing of it.....character! :thumb:

Hi
for the smell of petrol, this could be as simple as the O ring/rubber seal on the petrol cap as we found out ? if the car hasn't been used much, as a preventative measure you might want to swap out some of the relays (such as the one on the brake booster mentioned above). we had an occasion when the pump didn't run and my wife rang me to say the brakes were really heavy!!! they take quite a lot of stopping...

Hope you enjoy the car - looks very nice 8)

We've had ours (a C4 targa with a few 'updates') for 7 years nearly and it has really grown on us. for a car that is now 27 years old in a fortnight, they are brilliant fun and as happy on the motorway as they are in the mountains :thumb:

Congrats on your purchase, a few niggles to sort but they don't sound serious.....enjoy!!! :thumb:

Thanks for the welcome and few tips. Just had a quick spin around the block in the car after it was parked untouched for 4 days. It did start! hah it keeps switching off unless I hold the revs at about 2K for about 20 seconds. It is fine after that...

Also I think I found the source of the petrol smell in the trunk - a hose coming from the top of the fuel tank is snapped at the plastic joint as in the picture - you can see someone used superglue to fix it and the metal jubilee clip rubbed against the bottom of the hood :(

Cheers,
Pav

Attachments

• img_2189_121.jpg
    img_2189_121.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 11,864
Hi Pav,

Well spotted, that's a potentially nasty little modification they made :what:

You have a very nice car there, enjoy :thumb:

All the best,
Paul

Hi
when you say it keeps switching off, do you mean stalling i.e. won't idle or does it cut out?
If it's stalling, it might just need the ISV cleaning - or cutting out might be the DME ? Both are well documented and easy jobs

HTH
:thumb:

:agree: Or it might need the 'system adaptation' if it's not been done via diagnostics

Hi

With regards to the petrol smell, Porsche made a modified fuel filler neck to eliminate fuel smells from entering the car, perhaps yours hasn't had this modification?
Either that or you have a leaking fuel pipe which will be obvious to your mechanic.
Hope this helps.
Logan

Edited to say that I didn't read the full thread and see you've found the problem. I should pay attention or stop drinking wine!

so a bit of an update after the car has been at RPM for few days...

here goes the list :sad: :sad:
Intensive screen wash not working
Washer jets not spraying
Clutch judders when pulling away
Intermittent rough idle (faulty lambda sensor)
Rear light condensated
Bonnet and engine bay light inop
Fuel tank breather broken
Clutch and brake fluid 4% moisture content
Both front drop link boots perished
Fuel pump undertray rotten
Gearbox undertray requires new fixings
Both rear caliper brake pipes rubbing on discs
All 4 caliper plates lifted
Both front bump stops perished
Clutch pedal missing rubber cover
Fan and alternator belts perished/noisy
Cap and rotor arms need replacing, possible belt required but distributor requires removal
Slight weep from front of engine
Heater pipes rotten and hose clips missing

Of course a lot of the items I knew about...but there are couple of surprises too
Anyways we agreed to proceed with fixing most of the big items plus major service.

I decided not to do rear light, compartment lights, front bump stops (planning to change suspension anyways), clutch was reported to be working ok after fluid change, and brake plates lifted...
So I will have to rebuild all four brake callipers and so will replace discs and pads with this - but this will have to wait for a little while. Anyone one knows the cost for break callipers rebuild and where to do it (I haven't asked RPM for now)

Thanks,

Pawel

Lovely looking car :thumb:
Have to say though I would be :gunfire: the guy who did the independant inspection if he didn't pick up all the items on RPM's list!
Surely Woods 911 should contribute to some of this :?:

Nice looking car, welcome to the group.

What mods are you looking to do or are you plannign to keep it stock?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back