Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Suspension rebuild. Problem with rear of car

Great to hear. Bring on some dry weather now.

MC

Really interesting thread James, good to see a solution is at hand and good that you've shared the experience. I have a suspension mystery issue on mine, not in this league, but never the less, very helpful :thumb:

Hi james

Great to hear that the problem may have been found. The mount sounds pretty shot to have that much movement, I'm suprised you don't have lots of gear change shunt or very poor gear shift. I will be under mine to recheck on the next day I have free on my quest for super stability.

Mark

Fingers crossed that your issue.

I just had my clutch and flywheel changed at Porsche about 200 miles ago where they had the gearbox out, wonder if its been refitted incorrectly.

Thanks all for your kind remarks. Glad the thread may be of use to others, trying to diagnose similar issues. Yes, roll on Friday fingers crossed.

Mike! - A thought occurred after re reading your post. AS you say, the head of the camber bolt sits in a recess. The nut on the camber washer side, sits in a similar recess. Its possible to miss that the washer is not seated correctly.

If that has happened this might cause the issues your taking about.

Good luck

Just to conclude this thread for anyone searching similar issues in the future...

Confirmed, it was the gearbox mount. Car handles well now, and also rides so much better on the new dampers! Much less crashy, and doesn't drop into potholes like it used to.

..............though there is still a speed related vibration (worst at 75mph) which was present before all the work!!! though its lessened. Hopefully that will just be the front wheels need re balancing.

Cheers James

Just found this thread after being linked to it from your road trip one - what a mission James! Glad you've got it sorted now, and the car looks great.

Can I ask what the mileage on your car is, and what kind of use it previously had? Is the gearbox mount assumed to be a fairly standard 'consumable' at a certain mileage or was this a one off?

Not sure what experiences others have had to be honest.

My car has 88,000 miles now. Little use over the past 5 years, circa 750 miles a year, and unsure what it was used for before that. The mount went bad very quickly, maybe brought about by swapping the engine mounts which were themselves not very good.

Then again it might have been perished and already on its way out when I bought the car last Oct, and the fact that I've used it finished it off?

A bit vague I know but hope that helps.

Just to show you the part and how it fails this pic shows it nicely.

It's what I call the tail wagging the dog problem, the rubber in the mount fails, cracks and allows the gearbox at the nose end to move around and consequently steer the car. Before it gets really bad the handling goes vague and at the age our cars are at its worth inspecting these (aside from the rear mounts which seem to get lots of attention).

IMHO they were too weak from new (see the cast in voids) but that was so Mr director, city trader or whomever bought these new could have a comfy ride. Having said that Porsche cars over all the years have suffered from these failing, seen it a lot on 356's

Really glad you got the problem sorted, I bet it drives like a new car now, there's a good thread on here about wheel and tyre balancing if you are getting wheel wobble.

:thumb:

Did you find that as soon as you take your foot off the throttle it feels like a bit of inertia kicking in?

Good pic Harv. The yoke bracket that bolts the mount to the body isn't exactly over engineered either.

Yes, release the throttle and the car did a little shimmy, low speed it felt weird, higher speeds could set up an uncontrolled oscillation.

My car is on 98,000 and I changed the engine mounts about a year ago but I never did the gearbox one. I don't suppose you know how much it cost/ how long it took?

Sure. 9 Excellence did the work. £500 for mount, the bracket (which was corroded) and the labour in vat.

They didn't remove the gearbox which is clever stuff. Due to having to get the mount out and into an interference fit housing.

Must of been a fair amount of labour then, I'm sure the parts under 300 quid.

Yes, £300 labour and £110 for parts all plus Vat. Though that also Inc an hour to diagnose the problem in the first place.

Usual to take out the gearbox and press out the mount on the bench I imagine.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back