Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

lee's 996 C4 project thread

Ah *****, resistors. Just reminded me of another job on my list. I buy all the parts when I find a fault you know, but I've absolutely zero spare time to fit them. :grin:
Thanks for confirming the above and glad it doesn't affect the temps in any way. Also glad you can feel it. Always best to go off the "bum dyno" isn't it. If something adds a bit to the experience whether it's in feel or power, then that's a win in my book.

Cheers. :thumb:

Expensive week last week
New MOT after having a cv boot replaced

And a suspension refresh and geo at Centre of gravity

I've known it's needed it for a while now so after the initial health check I was prepared for when asked if I wanted to take a seat before discussing what needed sorting!

A needs doing now and nice to have list was sorted as the full lot wasn't achievable in the day I had booked

So the needs doing now

Was new top mounts which were shot to bits

New bump stops as they just fell to pieces too

New tie rod ends

New coffin arms which are quite common to give up the ghost (didn't get a pic of those)

New tuning forks (or diagonal arms as they called them)

And then a geo that for once actually feels great and has dialed out the understeer I was getting when pushing hard

Overall while it was an expensive day I was present for the whole thing I learned a fair bit about the car its now handling amazing so confidence in it is back again and also got to see them setting up a ginetta for a race on the next ramp

And had a good nose round Chris the owners gt3rs

Just needed now are rear coffin arms which aren't as bad as the fronts were but are past there best and rear anti roll bar bushes

Some good effort still going into the car Lee. I bet the difference is night and day after that lot. :thumb:

Gonna refresh all my suspension over next winter then get it down to Centre Gravity. It's a good 4 or 5 hours from us so will be an overnighter. That's why I'll change every bush and component before I make the pilgrimage.

What's next for you then? Any particular direction you want to take with the car?

Marky911 said:
Some good effort still going into the car Lee. I bet the difference is night and day after that lot. :thumb:

Gonna refresh all my suspension over next winter then get it down to Centre Gravity. It's a good 4 or 5 hours from us so will be an overnighter. That's why I'll change every bush and component before I make the pilgrimage.

What's next for you then? Any particular direction you want to take with the car?

the difference is night and day to be fair :thumb:

and future plans in the short term

short shift
gt3 TB and competition plenum
200 cell cats
remap

and i'm still toying with going for a csr theme
so ducktail
lwfw
and ohlins coilovers

Some nice items on your list. A few of those on mine. When I bought mine I thought "Its staying standard apart from fitting an Aerokit".
With all the amazing cars on here though and in the mags, I'm now formulating a different plan.

I love the CSR stuff. I'd also like a lwfw but am very wary on these engines.
That decision is for another year though.

Anyway I'm sure I've said it before, great car and great thread. :thumb:

Went along to a east Midlands meet last night
and met some great people and saw some beautiful porkas 8)
Some great pics were taken by Glyn hope he doesn't mind me posting the ones of mine here
If I'd known decent photographers were going to be there I'd of done more than a quick wipe with quick detailer :oops:

BHZ661 said:
Looking great in the pictures :thumbs:

Thanks buddy :thumb:
I'm certainly still getting lots of smiles per miles out of her 8)

Clutch is just about giving up the ghost so while changing it for it's 3rd clutch in it's lifetime I gather the dual mass flywheel must be well past it's best now
So thought why not get a little extra go out of the old girl while I'm at it
So ordered rpm technics light weight flywheel and sprung friction plate

Turned up next day delivery and will be fitted early next week so will post up my thoughts once they are in

Not updated this thread in ages
Lost the will when the photo bucket saga lost all the pics but looks like they are back somehow
Plus haven't done a great deal with the 911 over the last year except usual service and consumables
Main cause being somehow totally unplanned got the Mrs pregnant and ended up having twins
So as well as forking out for a double storey extension on our house I also had to get one of these as the new family slugger

But the house is no longer a building site and I'm not far off finished doing all the DIY that followed so starting to have some disposable cash back so this month had all the brake discs and pads changed (all OE drilled)
And now my car isn't constantly covered in brick dust I've noticed that even when clean the 2 main things letting it down are 1 the wheels need a refurb badly (coming up soon)
and 2 the headlights had gone very yellow
So today got them sorted by a guy that works in Warminster area and at 45 quid can't complain at all

Before

During

After

Wow! Where to start. Congrats on the twins. They'll keep you busy. :D
Well done on the building project. I know all about those. Hard work and can be very stressful.

I love those Cayennes. Awesome value for money. I often have a sift through them on eBay.

Car still looks great. Excellent improvement on those lights.
Make sure you use a good company for the wheels, especially if you're getting them diamond cut. Make sure they're familiar with those exact wheels.

Exciting times for you Lee, well done. :thumb:

Reminds me...need my lenses doing too :wack:

Twins hey...I don't need that doing :grin:

:thumb:

Sounds like quite a year! congrats :thumbs:

Did you get the new clutch and lightweight flywheel fitted?

@marky911 gonna be using chris at excel so know he knows what he's doing :thumb:
and oh yes the little toe rags are keeping us busy and awake all night :sleepy:
the cayenne is a good motor to be fair :thumb:

@hsc911 i did mine myself about 2 years ago and they yellowed back up in no time according to the guy that i used it was because i hadnt got them ultra smooth but time will tell how they hold up this time :)

and twins wise well lets just say my mrs sent me straight down to the doctors for a couple of modifications myself :nooo:

@jezgreen911 i have indeed buddy had it fitted nearly 15k now and still loving it she revs up a lot quicker
not a mod for everyone though i'd say as you have to adapt your driving a bit
ie you end up driving in lower gears as if let it drop below 2k revs it shakes and vibrates when trying to accelerate
and i read other comments about the chattering at idle before committing to it but same as with exhausts etc some peoples too loud is someone elses not loud enough type thing so i expected it to be on the lower end of what i imagined but nope she does sound a little like a tractor
and pulling up at busy traffic lights with lots of pedestrians about i have been known to keep the clutch dipped :grin:

i'll do a little vid and try and capture the chatter if anyone is on the fence and interested?

Hi Lee,
the lights look good but did he put any UV coating on them, I polished mine but they went cloudy again quite quickly this summer.

Mike

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back