Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Traffic film/condensation

Most odd... does the film clear by itself if left long enough, or does it remain til wiped off?

If left in the sun (fat chance) does it mist up?

film

No amount of heat, aircon etc will clear the film. It has to be wiped off.

Car does not mist up at all when left overnight/during the day in sun or shade - hence I don't believe there is moisture in the car.

Still struggling with this

I am still struggling with this issue. I am convinced it is not condensation. Something is contaminating the inside of my windows and normal levels of condensation are then sticking to the contamination.

With a few nice warm days this week I have zero condensation, yet the film on my window continues to increase each day.

Its almost like grease on the window. It is becoming harder and harder to wipe off.

I feel the aircon system is working well as on one of the warm days the airflow was ice cold.

Any ideas? I am at a bit of a loss where to take it for further investigation.

Where abouts is the heater matrix? Is it below/behind the gear stick area?
I am wondering if this could be leaking and emitting the contaminant out in a fine mist from the air vents. Probably a crazy theory.

What are you cleaning the window with ? Does the film appear on all the windows?

cleaners

Have tried various cleaners. I wondered if AutoGlym Fast glass was the initial cause, but have since cleaned with meths to strip away the grease. Its fine for a few days then comes back!

Have also tried Mr Muscle glass cleaner and even a karcher window vac.

Have just bought some AutoGlym Glass polish to give that a try.

Appears on all windows except the rear quarters. I have cleaned them all, each time.

Very frustrating. All I can suggest, a bit extreme, is taking a sample of the film and sending it for chemical analysis.

A leaky heater matrix would presumably manifest in a drop in engine coolant level.

Thinking laterally, could it be something you have cleaned the trim with that is making its way out and into the air? Air Freshener??

Coolan

Coolant level is bang on where it should be, but will keep an eye on it.

Where is the heater matrix located?

Its in the center of the dash , behind center consol area basically .

Its a small radiator and i was thinking a tiny leak would produce a small amout of steam mixed with antifreeze.

Bit of a long shot but no water ingress to the car will cause a grease like substance on the windscreen .. antifreeze will though .

screen

Gave the screen a full clean yesterday with Autoglym glass polish. Really clean, grease free.

Drove 15 miles to work. After about 8 miles I can start to see the film appearing literally only above the main dashboard/windscreen vent.

I agree with the theory on the heater matrix. I will investigate further.

Thanks.

I did think about a/c leak and its Pag oil .. but i think it would drain out reasonably quickly and you would have no a/c , you would probably smell it as well .

Not come across it before so its all i can think of .

Update

Everything got very misty last night followed with a sweet smell a bit like licquorice.

Getting it booked in for investigation, suspect heater matrix.

Good shout Demort glad its all sorted :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back