Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 to 991GT3

I'll just add my 2p
I've only ever failed one noise test on the 991GT3 - Bedford, static OK, just driveby, so was actually manageable.

The current engine rev for the GT3 is G, as is fitted to mine.

Mine had the precautionary replacement engine at launch, and another one last year (showed its hand at Oulton).
This was due to the DLC coating issue with the finger rockers ( oil starvation from memory?)
Causes a CEL, as the timing isn't 100% perfect.
All replaced via OPC warranty, no hassle at all.
Porsche AG authorised a new engine immediately - start to finish about 2 weeks ish.

I would certainly caution buying a non G version 991 GT3 - ticking time bomb.. ?
possibly.
It is easy to check - its on the VIN stickers.

I've also heard of the rear steer actuators developing excessive play; I'm keeping an eye on mine throughout warranty, and if it becomes a problem, they will be replaced.
Part of my suspension check @ CG a while ago highlighted that they were in top condition ( as is the rest of the car!)

Right...

Just read all this!

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/914162-some-details-on-9a1-engine-in-gt3r.html

My interpretation is...

E Engine
Connecting pin on con rod issue
Possible lubrication issues at high revs causing wear to cams

F Engine
Connecting rod issue resolved
Enhanced coatings on cams and higher oil pressure to mitigate wear

G Engine
Enhanced coatings and improved oil delivery system, larger oil rails, filler neck and new oil filter.

So...991.1GT3 with G Engine is the one???

From my reading, it looks to be an issue for "track warriors" rather than a daily driver with occasional track use. That said, if you are buying into the "track car for the road" then it should be a given that the car will not need any major works so early in its' lifecycle?

jotaking said:
Right...

Just read all this!
So...991.1GT3 with G Engine is the one???

...so far.

Remember that while launched in 2013, delays to initial delivery due to unspecified engine and gearbox problems plus the "stop using" directive to the customers that got the earliest deliveries meant that nobody was actually driving them in any kind of anger until only about 2.5 years ago. And so far there have been 7 engine revisions. Superficially there are strong grounds to suspect that there may be further issues over time as the cars really haven't been in the wild for long and typical mileages are in general still very low.

Compared to the engine in earlier GT3s, the motor in the 991 remains very much an unknown commodity.

So to reiterate - IMHO only a very rich or very brave man runs the 991 GT3 outside of factory warranty coverage and that will remain the case for at least a good many years yet. Irrespective of which version of the engine is currently in any given car.

If you keep it stock and keep extending your warranty though, they are still a decent bit of kit and a strong option at its price point.

Its not that expensive really. I remember thinking about my E60 M5 I keep paying that £95 a month but nothing has gone wrong yet. Then in the space of six weeks it did 13k's worth in three separate incidents.

So pleased I kept the warranty then!

David has it right about the 991. I loved my 996.2 GT3 but got to the point where I hardly used it. After 18 months in a 997.2 GTS which was a great car, I bought a 991GT3 and its brilliant.

It feels very special but will cope with boring traffic very well, then on the right road its fantastic.

Regards
Fred

Just bought a GT3
Engine model is E (from the WPO chassis number)
will the AE01 engine recall have changed the engine model
or will it still be E ? or did they replace with F or G ?
anyone ?
I don't have the car yet , pickup Friday.
cheers
Peter

If you ask Porsche to print off the details of the car it will have the engine number. This starts with E, F or G.

The print out will also show any recalls (engine replacement).

if the engine has been replaced by Porsche, then the stickers with the engine version & number will have been replaced. Hard to miss;
don't forget the V5C will also need updating doe to the new engine number change :)

Thanks Jota and Dave
The engine has been replaced by Porsche
the Porsche printout is showing the "STOP SALES AE01 engine recall"
the engine number shows as E103xx
However I thought these early engines were replaced (up to about 750).
I'm guessing they just stamped the engines with the same number as the engine they pulled out.
Like I said will see on Friday.
I will look at the sticker see if that's different from the printout.
Then look for number on the engine when its on a ramp.

pslot said:
Just bought a GT3
Engine model is E (from the WPO chassis number)
will the AE01 engine recall have changed the engine model
or will it still be E ? or did they replace with F or G ?
anyone ?
I don't have the car yet , pickup Friday.
cheers
Peter

It's not red, with missing wing end caps :?:

:floor:

Only pulling your leg!

:welcome:

Pics would be great :thumb:

Pslot

Firstly, if your buying from Porsche I am sure all will be in order and you will get at least 2 years warranty that will cover everything.

The general consensus on here is that you need to maintain the warranty. This can be done annually for approx £1350.

Not sure if you have read the thread on rennlist? If not, it is worth looking at so you know the story to date.. copy below

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/914162-some-details-on-9a1-engine-in-gt3r.html

I am sure your new 991 will put a smile on your face!!

Good luck with it and enjoy!

If its E1 then its a replacement engine. Mine is the same, original engine was E0

Ask for a copy of the engine change certificate, I got a copy when I bought mine.

Regards
Fred

thanks for your input all of you
its so good to get a supportive forum
I did get some info from Porsche
It had the engine change , don't have a cert but will ask.for it.
It also had the camshaft wear issue which was resolved about 600 miles ago.
So from reading the post mentioned earlier it looks like they resolved the
crank bolt issue at 1000 miles from new but left the camshaft wear issue , which they probably didn't know about in early 2014.
Has current warranty.
Its been under warranty all the time , so I feel pretty comfortable about it.

to answer you, yes it is red, however it does have its wing end caps.
This red looks very orangey, much more so than earlier guards/Indisch red.

attached a pic/link , car came from JZM.
http://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-LHD-991-GT3-Comfort-U1098/

LHD 12000 miles pretty full spec, Comfort not clubsport. full PCM ASK ,with front lift and ceramics.
why this one, good price, had warranty from new, really wanted/need front lift, will probably only track once or twice a year. Drive in Europe quite a lot and going to move over to continental Europe in near future so LHD was not necessary but desirable.

Attachments

• img_498_large_821.jpg
    img_498_large_821.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 2,963
Now the real question : with the 991.2 announced this morning, will people still be prepared to pay over list for the 991.1 while everybody agues about securing a build slot on the new car... :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back