Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Have you managed to get your sick car home ?

Really enjoying these old war stories gent some are great to read :thumbs: I only passed my test in 2004 so didn't have the pleasure of driving the 'older' cars. I did how ever have some pretty crap old vans as an apprentice. Most memorable was driving home one evening. Approached a 30 limit went to slow down from my sensible 80mph to find the brake pedal just went straight to the floor and I had no brakes at all. Luckily there was no one in front of me so I just used the gears to slow the van down and continued my journey home in peak traffic, hazards on and using the handbrake.

That mini suspension one reminded me of an old work colleague who had a similar wooden suspension issue. We both worked for Jaguar and at the time we still had to have British Leyland company cars. His wife had been nagging to get her a more upmarket car on the scheme than the low rent ones he used to inflict on her(always was a cheapskate) He ordered a MG Montego(was a long time ago 😀) she constantly complained about its suspension being too hard. He told her it was a 'sports car' and what did she expect. Come first service(or when the first bit dropped off it) the dealer asked him to go in the workshop. The car up in the air still had its rail ship transit blocks in the suspension. These were put in to stop the car moving under rail transport so suspension was locked solid!!👏
When they removed them the car was transformed, he told his wife he had them soften the suspension for her,what a star😎

mzmini said:
Hi Rabbitstew a good 1071s will make 35k-40k, my friend 970s is valued at 40k+ he paid £175 quid for it in 1976 I just sold him a 970s engine for just under 3k
1071s lump fresh you would looking at 4k
the three sycro 22 G 190 box fresh 2k
both my Rally cars started life as 1071's but the engines have grown
perhaps you should have kept them
:floor: :floor:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

FRP said:
Mad me laugh

I was a Jag man way before Porsche

Was 18 and had a series 2 v12 XJ on my mums Insurance and in central London with no brakes. Hand brake was weak at best but managed carefully to drive around and have a good time before the journey back home in west london, Stress but enjoyable too.

Bought the car for £2000 had it no more than a year, spent £800 ish on the brakes/master cylinder and sold it for £2000 - yes it was super clean and polished to within an inch of its life MEMORIES MEMORIES

PS never had AA or RAC cover

Good man!

I too had a Jag in my late teens- a 3.6 XJ40, with the digital dash and bar graphs. Spent all its time going a bit wrong, but I loved that car.

Too many times I've got where I've needed to be by hook or by crook, a few that spring to mind.

Vauxhall Viva, clutch had gone and due to having to ram it into gear the whole gear stick came off in my hand leaving only a 3 inch stump to shove into gear, clutchless, drove it for a couple of days like this afterwards until I could afford to get it fixed. Those shifts hurt my hand.

Porsche 996, crankshaft snapped at Dunsfold, nursed it all the 160 mile home, all the while the vibration gradually got worse, and I had to lower my speed until I was down to 50mph coming off the M1 at my junction, it was snapped in two when I took it apart.

Manta with Rover V8 engine, bottom/crank pully fell off on my way back from Donington Park which also took the fanbelt and stopped the water pump. I drove gingerly with the expansion tank cap off and kept switching off to cool down, I found a stream at the side of the road which allowed me to fill up again with muddy water, got me home eventually.

Following a friends Audi TT when his clutch pedal box broke on the Brussels ring road in rush hour on the way to Nurburgring, waited 2 hours for the breakdown, which weren't obviously coming, (they had said they couldn't find us) until I fashioned up a fix with velcro and cable ties, this got him to the hotel at Nurburg that evening and we had the pedal box welded up the next day at a local workshop for him to do some laps.

Bikes also, racing against a Sierra Cosworth up in Leeds 70 miles from home, he braked too hard mid bend when I was leaned over not too far behind him, I high sided the bike and slid right up to his back bumper where he just sped off.
I broke the front brake lever off, both right indicators, bent the rear brake pedal and broke right foot rest off. I was out for the evening at my mates in Leeds that night, the next day I rode home with my right foot on the exhaust as a rest and predicting my braking well in advance for the whole trip home.

rabbitstew said:
Had the clutch actually fall out of my Ducati 996 once and still limped home.

Always seems to be clutch issues!

This happened to me a couple of years ago on the way back from Ride to the Wall, clutch wound itself undone and jammed into the casing :eek: I have a four hour wait for recovery though!!

On the M1 at about 60mph in a Mini 1275GT driving back from Luton to Birmingham in torrential rain on a Sunday night in the middle of winter in 1987.

All was well until there was a massive impact on the windscreen. :eek:
Road debris, a bird, an animal????
One of those "I must be dead!" moments. :angel:

Bonnet had delatched of its own accord, pulled through the safety catch, lifted up and slammed into the windscreen. Panic braked without causing anyone else to run into the back of me, and managed to get the car onto the hard shoulder.

Amazingly, the windscreen was not even cracked but the bonnet had tried to wrap itself around the screen and was hanging on by only one hinge. Bonnet was too distorted to close down. So in pitch darkness, wriggled the bonnet back and forth until the other hinge snapped. Jammed a very bent bonnet diagonally inside the car, started the car up and continued on up the M1 and along the M6 into Birmingham.

That night must have aged me 10 years at least, but amazing how the desire to get home over-rides a bum-clenching situation. :lol:

Next day, sledgehammered the bonnet back into reasonable shape, bought two new hinges and two rally-type security pins and nailed everything back together. Drove the car for almost another year in this state. :D

Are you related to Timo Makinen....This happened to him on 1000 lakes rally in 1967!!! he drove the rest of the stage with it up and won by 8 seconds

d903b20f0e299a34ff057268cb5d2dd0.jpg
:worship:

Great thread and reminded me of the time in the early 80's when I'd parked up my Talbot Lotus Sunbeam on the beach for a romantic evening with the girlfriend. Fell asleep and woke up late for work so hoofed it off the beach when, next thing the throttle cable snapped! Found a pair of Dr Martin's in the back and took the laces out, joined them together, connected to the throttle and threaded through the bulkhead. Got me back to the Nurses Home and me to work a little less late than expected.

Same car coming down the Glenshane Pass flat out blew up and the bonnet did a DRZ 'Timo Makinen' 911 moment. Didn't drive it home though. :oops:

Loved that wee car............... :sad: almost as much as my 997. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back