Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

KKs first big job on the Boxster Brakes all round

kurlykris

So the brakes had turned to rust on my little Boxster at 50K miles :nooo:
Time for a new set of disks and pads all round, I got fed up with ECP, GSF not having everything in stock or available and believe it or not Halfords are cheaper for Pagid, I didn`t go that route though as the guy who owns a car spares shop just up the road from me ( a Porsche 993 owner ) suggested Borg&Beck as they have a special coating "Becktec" over the complete disk and inside the vents :dont know: and he gave me a good discount down to £370inc-vat for 4 disks and front and rear pads :grin:

Picked them up yesterday and fitted today, 5 hours work in total ( including a trip back to supplier as wrong front pads, but he`d ordered in the alternatives and wear sensors just in case )

One little hiccup I have to sort tomorrow is a sheared bolt for the hose/hardline bracket on the O/S/F, will drill it out, tap it and fit a new bolt in the morning.

old and rusty :

shiny and new :

what was left of the front disks :sad:

Good work Sir, I did mine on my R32, great opportunity to clean up and improve the calipers too.

Looks like your old ones were well shot, surprised they could stop you!!

She hadn`t been driven for a while over winter jimmy p, hence the surface rust on the outer face, but they were absolutely shot to pieces, will post some photos tomorrow. I think they were the original disks, so 10 years old and an absolute ***** to get off as the threads were shot in some of the extraction jacking holes :sad:

Luckily I have various hub pullers for work :thumb:

Kris,
You need more photos to show how hard you worked :puh:

So I drilled the offending sheared bolt in the wheel carrier out this morning, I thought it was going to be a real PITA, but took about 15 minutes. The only issue I thought about last night was that I had to jack both the front wheels up to enable me to turn the steering to full left lock after removing the wheel to get at it, and of course I only had one jack, and I didn`t want it falling off as I turned the steering wheel with one tyre on the ground, Screwfix to the rescue, bought a £20 scissor jack, partly because they didn`t have a matching trolley jack in stock, but also because that they are quite handy to have lying around :grin:

So took her for a quick drive up and down the road to test the brakes, the coating on the disk faces came of within a few hundred yards, but the rear near side disk backplate was catching the disk ( that disk was a real PITA to get off and I`d slightly deformed the backplate levering against it ) sorted in 30 seconds :thumb:

Even without being bedded in the brakes were excellent :D

She`s in for MOT tomorrow, the same place that still have my 996 on a fail waiting for parts :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back